1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Kakutou Shinseiki 2 LIVE!

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Apr 5, 2003.

By Myke on Apr 5, 2003 at 2:11 PM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Sega's 3rd VF4 national tournament, Kakutou Shinseiki 2 (roughly translated to "New Century Grapple 2") will be broadcast live from the am.sega website. It is scheduled for Sunday 6th April, starting at 12:00 and finishing at 17:00.

Visit the Kakutou Shinseiki 2 site on am.sega for broadcast links. For other details:

<ul>
    [*]Tournament information
    [*]Area Information
    [*]Area Tournament
    [*]Tournament Pictures and Movies <font color=red>NEW!</font>
    [*]Tournament Results <font color=red>NEW!</font>
    [*]Character usage statistics
    [/list]

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Apr 5, 2003.

1. archangel
      archangel
      Re: New Century Grapple 2 LIVE!

OH great 9'00 tommorow morning on a sunday as well, man the things i do for virtua fighter. /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    2. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      Re: Kakutou Shinseki 2 LIVE!

How do you watch it, what is required ?
    3. Catch22
      Catch22

jeeezus s. Christ.

Chibita lost again in the quarters,
      and Heruru is on to the finals as I write this. HE had as squeeze ass match in the quarters and the semis (against homestay Akira). That dude who won in the Green Book DVD is in the Semis along with another Akira, ... it's going on right now, and I'm recording this!

Be back later
    4. ice-9
      ice-9

God damn it ever since the elite eight my connection has DIED on me.

Anyway, it was Homestay Akira, Heruru Lei Fei, Minami Akira, and Yoro (Retired) Kage in the final four. Minami knocked out Chibita to get there.

In the finals: Heruru defeated Homestay in an awesome come back (from what I can vaguely tell anyway). Minami, using a 9-kyu card at 100% wins (he must've forgotten his real card), defeated Yoro Kage pretty easily.

Championship match: Minami took the first match in straight rounds, Heruru took the next 3-1, and Minami took the last one 3-1 (3-2?).

Wow, that's an impresive streak: Chibita, Yoro Kage, and finally, Heruru. Congratulations Minami!!!

Is this guy's name even in the PS2 Quest Mode?
    5. DRE
      DRE

Looks like Kyasao was there too, but didn't participate?
    6. Catch22
      Catch22

Heruru was pushing it with 2 0-2 deficits... it caught up with him with Minami Akira.

I really wanted to see a Chibita-Heruru Semi at least. That Minami Akira is so... shy.

The crowd fave was definitely Heruru the whole way, along with Chibita.

The live feed was the bomb. Live T.V. The production of the event was also top notch. It had Kyasau with POS Akira and Shinz in exhibition matches... and then singing happy birthday to Shinz. They even had off-beat moments of the two finalists back stage, having mock fights with the cosplay girls. Funny stuff. That Heruru is a clown.

I got it recorded (the last 2 hours at least), and I'm glad somebody came up with StreamBox.
    7. Catch22
      Catch22

Some other observations:

The stage girls were the prettiest things. Top quality females, unlike the majority of E3 Y chomosome meat.

No show for Yu Suzuki at the show. Any insider know the reason for this?

POSAkira won against Kyasao, but Shinz lost against him.

Again, I got the last 2 hours. Anybody record the full shebang?
    8. replicant
      replicant

I'd be interested in DLing it all or any of it since I missed it. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif If anyone hosts it, then please let us know.
    9. Okiron
      Okiron

The Live is available or not ??
      i want to see it /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    10. PhoenixDth
      PhoenixDth

that was an awesome tournament. Probably because it was live. So sad to see my VF hero heruru get 2nd. He will win someday.

And no more damn akira tourney winners too many of them.
    11. Catch22
      Catch22

It WAS live.

Other notes after rewatching the recorded feed:

Homestay beat Ohsu Akira to get to the Heruru matchup in a battle of Akiras.

Napoleon lost to Yoro in the round of 16... or was it 32.

Kyasao and BunBun were panelists, along with 2 other dudes I didn't recognize.

Heruru looked like he was going to get run over by both Homestay and Minami. Homestay was up 0-2 and was half-way home on the 3rd round. Looks like the pros take a step back and admire their work too. Minami was dominating the first match, and won 3-0 against Heruru. Heruru won the 2nd match, even though he lost 4 rounds in a row including the 1st match, winning 3 straight. Minami won 3-1 in the last match. I can't help but feel the crowd reation gets to the crowd favorite's opponents- might make a player feel sorry and give a round as pity toward the crowd.

BunBun and Chibita were sporting new hairstyles. Chibita had the same white jumpsuit he had in the Green Book. He should leave it at home, as his luck is nil with it on.

Damn, I really wanted Heruru or Chibita to take home the crown.
    12. Myke
      Myke

Congratulations to Minami Akira!

Check out the Full Results on am.sega's site.

Minami Akira's special rank for winning this tournament is Dai Haoh, which roughly translates to Grand Supreme Emporer.

I managed to catch a few first round matches before having to leave for soccer, but the hour or so I watched was so exciting. What a great experience! Never thought a live broadcast could be so fun, and watching it with the guys on #vfhome made it that much more enjoyable.

Just remember kids, miniskirts = top tier! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    13. Catch22
      Catch22

Someday, I'll attend this tourney in person. Man, what a day the Japanese had, NATIONAL tourneys for the majority of their arcade games. Kyasao seems to be a driving maven also, as he was seen in the Initial D tourney. The Initial D tourney had a little kid take second. What's this with small kids and Initial D. There was this one kid in Hawaii who was no more than 8 years old, and he was tearing shit up. Anyway, GameJam, judging from the pics at the various JP sites could have been my holy grail of gaming events. Screw E3, the superbowl, seeing duke play at Cameron (j/k), this is now my "have to before I die" event.

The live feed and production of the VF event though, was top tier. I feel sorry for those that missed the feed. Last years event was portrayed well in posted videos, but the live feed of this years event captured the whole MANIA of VF perfectly. It was the next best thing to being there. Wow.
    14. archangel
      archangel

Oh for fuck sake i missed it /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Was there any good Pai players there. Also i'm hoping that somebody recorded it.
    15. Llanfair
      Llanfair

yeah, there were a number of excellent Pai players. Tsuchikumo made it into the final 8 but was eliminated by Yoro Kage.

I have to say that watching this live last night was truly a very exciting thing. The caps we'll have of the matches will be great, but it was almost as tense as actually being there. Great idea, Sega! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers,
    16. BK__
      BK__

*sigh* - what a missed opportunity, are the matches gonna be recorded as small clips?

*stupiddamn56kcrapihatemyflippinpcand
      connetionwhycantigetbloodybroadbandcoz
      imissoutonsuchthinhgslikethisandoneof
      thesedaysimgonnablowupmystupidcomputer
      andithinkiamtalkingcraprightnowsoibetterstopbaibai*
    17. CreeD
      CreeD

It's going to be painful or impossible to get individual matches out of these.

One guy recorded the whole thing and he says it's watchable... as a single self-contained 800 MB file /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But it can't be indexed (rewind, fast forward, etc don't work) and it can't be chopped up or edited or converted in anything. So far.

If and when I finally have the thing I'll share it of course.
    18. akiralove
      akiralove

the Minami I know is a regular on the last few Beat Tribe tapes, and plays a pretty machi, boring Kage. I guess he switched to Akira at the last minute for some reason.

Spotlite
    19. Llanfair
      Llanfair

Apparently that's a completely different Minami.

cheers,