1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Latest VF5FS Tier Lists

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 3, 2014.

By Myke on May 3, 2014 at 3:33 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Last month saw the release of a new Arcadia mook titled "Fighting Game REMIX" in which a number of fighting game titles are covered, including Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown. In this edition, the cover the latest tier list for VF5FS.

web_REMIX.jpg

Tier List
    As of 2014-04-18

SS: Akira
    S: Taka, Lion, Brad
    A: Jacky, Jean, Vanessa
    B: Goh, Shun, Wolf

(Large Gap)

C: Sarah, Kage, Lau
    D: El Blaze, Jeffry
    E: Aoi, Pai, Lei-Fei, Eileen

After four years is the "Final Answer" here?!
    Four years has elapsed with this game. With such a long time and so much strategy evolving, could this be the final ranking (?)

Points about some important characters
    There is a big gap between B and C rank. We will discuss some of the major points.

One of Akira's main points is his jumping ascending [K]. It whiffs lows, starts combos and defeats sabaki, and is a full circular that defeats evade. It is particularly powerful during sideturned with +6 where it is guaranteed on evadeCD, and at +9 on sideturned is guaranteed on evade.

For the characters in A rank compared to S rank there is not a large difference in their fighting abilities, but it is their basic abilities that attracts high praise. Amongst these is Taka, who was getting a lot of interest at the recent BT cup. While Taka can rely on throws and [4][P][+][K][P] against most characters, the opponent must concentrate on specific combos and untechable situations, focusing on the system side to fight Taka, so it is very difficult to have tactics against him. For people unfamiliar with Taka, he is more threatening than Akira.

Amongst A rank Jacky stands out. The reason that he has fallen in rank is that his options to overcome a guarding opponent are finite. His returns on throws are not that high, and when his high damage throws ([6]and [4]) are broken it leaves him sideturned. Choosing the right move to throw out is quite difficult, so while he may look like a simple character to play, the value in really dedicating yourself to him is difficult. Of course, against an opponent who lacks defensive skills he is S rank.

Amongst the lower ranks, Blaze and Sarah are well suited to tournaments, each with their attacking options from stances, and are fast so even against opponents adept at defence it can be tough. They are rarely used, and so they may be even more threatening than higher ranked characters if the opponent lacks match up experience. The other character who has ranked up is Jeffrey. His weight is high so damage inflicted is low, and his [P][+][K] and [1][K][+][G] one command moves are powerful.

Thanks to Unicorn for the tip, and noodalls for the translation!

Edit: Homestay Akira's Tier List
    Originally posted by Myke as a reply in this thread on Nov 23, 2016:

So here is Homestay's tier list:

S: Akira, Jacky
    A+: Goh, Lion, Taka
    A: Brad, Jean, Vanessa
    A-: Kage, Lau, Shun
    B: Aoi, Lei, Pai, Sarah
    C: Eileen, El Blaze, Jeffry, Wolf​

The only additional information provided was:
    1. Lion and Goh can be S rank if the player is really good.
    2. Taka is not considered S rank because while he is strong against some characters, he is still weak against others.

It sounded unlikely that we'll get a more fleshed-out explanation of why each character is where they are. If I do, I'll post it up, but don't hold your breath. Regardless of where your particular character lies on this, or the Arcadia, tier list I'm fairly certain there's a lot more work we can do to improve our own game.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    Tricky, SUGATA, Pai~Chun and 5 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, May 3, 2014.

1. Cozby
      Cozby
      Is there any 100% way to deal with Brad's [4][P][K] into ducking/slipping? If the punch is blocked, the knee can't be evaded. I'm certain Brad can beat nearly any option the opponent makes if he guesses right, and he gets good damage too. It seems random, but strong.

I think Jeffry is the same in the sense. Imo heavyweights should be played with the logic that they aren't gonna be hit as hard as smaller characters off of launchers. Not to mention, some setups don't work because of their weight.

Zangief logic?
      Last edited: May 7, 2014
      MakiLeSushi and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
    2. G_A
      G_A
      Well, one of Brad strong points is his ability to get nitaku.
      But that not the same of thing of being able to overcome a "guarding opponent" , he still have to rely on santaku at the end and his throw game is pretty much standard.

I totally agree for your remark about heavyweights, low/mid risk for high reward. But they usually suffer of a lack of tools compared to the rest of the cast, unless if your name is Taka.
    3. LegendaryHero90
      LegendaryHero90
      I've been saying that forever but no one ever listens because I play Lion.

"just side turn them LOL!!" "You don't need to launch! Heavy weights suck!"
    4. EvenPit
      EvenPit
      E tier really means S teir, go Eileen
    5. EvenPit
      EvenPit
      I would swap a few characters around with D and E though
    6. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      Well Eileen isn't bad against Taka and Pai is stupid good against him. It would be great if against him the tier list was upside down. It isn't, though ;)
      EvenPit likes this.
    7. ShinyBrentford
      ShinyBrentford
      I wish they would rename this to the VF "TEARS" list cause of all the crying going on. Look like you guys need to go offline and beat some Japanese players since you all know so much. ROFL
    8. leftylizard
      leftylizard
      Im pleased to see Vanessa in A tier. She has numerous tools to discourage opponents from evading(DS kk DS 3p+k DS k+g),good throws, she is pretty damn safe ,and she has the most + on block moves. Her weight keeps her out of S tier
    9. 00000000
      This just in: Arcadia lists don't apply to America who, overall, suck. List should be as follows:

SS: Japan
      Large Gap

B: America
    10. Genzen
      Genzen
      Kage = super god tier because my brother uses him to kick my ass all day long.

Also, they should have a separate ranking for online fights, where Lei Fei = win and everyone else = lose.
    11. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      Just for fun's sake that woul be my tier list after a few years of playing.

S: Akira, Taka
      A: Jacky, Lion, Brad
      B: Goh, Shun, Wolf, Sarah, Kage, Lau, Lei-Fei, Aoi, Vanessa
      C: Pai, El Blaze
      D: Eileen, Jeff

S: Chars with strong options and and almost no real weakness
      A: Chars with almost as strong options but some kind of weaknesses (Lion= weight/damage, Jacky= trouble against yutori, Brad = throws/no double limb)
      B: Average chars
      C: Under average chars
      D: Low tier

Akira: after a few years he is still considered the top char, but personnaly I don't see him above Taka, I think ther are kindah same level. Akira may be better overall against the rest of the cast (especially light chars) but the Taka Akira matchup seems in Taka's favor imo.
      Also judging at tournament results a SS char should dominate, in reality is it really the case ? Taka seems even better as far as major tournament results goes.

Lion: Really complete char with a strong wall game. His main pbm imo is his weight/ damage ratio that hurts him, especially against other top tiers that are usually a weight class (or more) above him. Also while playing with 41236P against most of the cast will make you happy Jacky can punish it for almost 100 and taka will hurt you too. He really shines against lightweights where he has good damage and good ring outs tactics.

Brad: Offensive char with a pretty complete arsenal. Really, really good zoning with 44K.Arguably the best punish overall.
      His throws are average, or even below. All his best attacks are single limb so he is vulnerable to sabaki if he gets predictable.

Lei: Personally I've always had trouble picturing Lei-Fei as a low tier, both by looking at his options rationnaly or by looking at vids of top jap players.

Vanessa: almost a C to me, the more I play the game the more I don't see why she would be higher. When looking at jp top players streams I can't remember seeing Vane dominating beside Kaibutsu once in while. Also there are no very high rank Vanessa players (storm, magma lord etc). Kaibutsu for exeample is not that highly ranked.
      Even Eillen or Lei-Fei have a few players with those ranks or had some good moments in tourneys, maybe that's just that her player base is low...
      Last edited: May 19, 2014
      Chanchai likes this.
    12. J.D.E.
      J.D.E.
      Is Pai really that low or is that she just has to work harder against most of the cast? Some of you may have heard of me. I'm JDE, the Kasumi player from DOA. A DOA player crossing over to VF BTW from the influence of some friends most notably Blackula & Silent Legend. Learning to for offline festivities. Pai & Kage are my choices. I wanted to start with Pai 1st since I'm learning the game & heard she was pretty straightforward. Thanks in advance.:cool:
      Last edited: May 19, 2014
    13. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      Imo Pai is a bit like a Lion but with less tools.
      In terms of weight she is close Lion, both need CH for their main launcher, they have good lows, some evasive moves and some stances that are good but not the core of their play like Sarah or Lei. Throw game is about even imo.

But Lion has a guard break with good damage, better lows, better wall game, Better ring outgame, better side turned game and good anti sabaki attacks or moves that can really kill stance base characters like 1K.
      Pai has 3P+K that is very good, and better strings. Unless she hits counter her damage is pretty low. To force those mistakes she has to pester with lows or gamble a throw both of which induce risks.
    14. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      I agree with pretty much all your list, but have slightly different opinions. In my opinion Lions main weakness is his lack of strong fast punishes, particularly knee-speed (17f) mid NH/RC launch that many other characters have.

Takas main weakness in my opinion are his circulars, particularly lack of good fullcircular, and the fact that he can be punished from the side sometimes worse than other characters due to taka-specific natural combos.
    15. Chibitox
      Chibitox
      Yeah that's a good point. If you compare his punishes to the other guys at the top, he is clearly way behind, in fact he might be bottom 3 as far as punish goes.
    16. Neonomide
      Neonomide
      Getting Pai going depends on the platform and the competition. I find her poking marvelous, but otherwise I agree she needs to take more risks to make real profit. PP4P, 2P+K and Bokutai stance are all nice but not game changers against good reaction based play and reads. Many good players I know main Pai and I don't see any wrong with that. Having a good gameplan and adapting style works.[Eight]-zero nailed it a few posts before. Japs have an environment that gives them a rather big edge on ranking characters.

People here in VF community may sound like a broken record, but VF is not considered a tier whoring game at all. Perhaps the only char with no flare IMho is Jeff and I'm sure some agree with that too. Play the char you like and dojo it out in the forum and the actual game to test it.
      J.D.E. likes this.
    17. J.D.E.
      J.D.E.
      Thanks for the feedback. Yeah it doesn't really matter for me in terms of tiers. It just means you may have to be on point. As long as the gap isn't really huge. Thanks again. I chose her 1st since she was straightforward & I can learn more of the mechanics. I kind of exaggerated the 1st paragraph. lol. I won't be learning another character soon after. At least for a while since I have other things going on. So it'll just be her for offline. :)
    18. Unicorn
      Unicorn
      Personally I will agree that Lion is overall better then Pai, but in her favor I will mention better throw game and having reversals( not THAT useful in VF in compare to other 3D FGs, but still nice option to have). 13-f doublehand mid is nasty tool as well.
      I also believe she have slightly better anti-wakeup game then Lion and that she can make you feel much worse if she "own" you :p
    19. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      Pai doesn't have a better throw game than Lion imo. His standing throws are more damaging, and that's what's really being considered. Not sure how her oki could be considered better either, but then that isn't a strong point for me.
    20. Darksoul173
      Darksoul173
      The only advantage that Pai got in her throw game is the crouch throw
      Both of Lion's 6 and 4 throw are about the same damage and he got a throw that leads to combos where you can change the enders for dmg/oki mixups