1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

looking for the best moves off stagger

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by OMNE, Aug 28, 2012.

1. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    No it doesn t work, the 6k+g doesn t make bounce

2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    This has probably been mentioned in some other thread already but: DS [4][4][P][+][G] wall stagger > [3][K] back crumple > [P][+][K][+][G] > OS [1][K][+][G] > [K][P][P] wall hit > [6][P][+][K][+][G] connects on everyone, including Taka for 114 damage. Unfortunately the combo is easy to unstagger (setting the CPU to "Stagger Recovery: Normal" knocks the opponent down instead of sidecrumling; setting it to "Fastest" ends [3][K] gets blocked)

For reference, DS [4][4][P][+][G] wall stagger > [3][K] back crumple > [P][+][K][+][G] > OS [1][K][+][G] > [3][P] wall hit > [P][+][K][K] low wall splat > [3_][K][K] does 118 dmg. Ending with [6][6][K][P] does 117 dmg.

Now, OS [4][K] wall stagger > IS [P] is harder to unstagger ("stagger recovery: normal" counts as combo):

Taka ONLY stagger followups:

[P][P][6][P][P][K] does 84 dmg vs Taka and is braindead easy.

[P] wall hit > [2][P][+][K] bound > [6][6][K][K] does 86dmg. Ending with [3_][K][K] does 85 dmg; with [6][6][K][P] 83. [P][+][K][P] and [3][P][+][K][K] enders do not work.

Testing vs Jeffry:

[3][K][P] CLOSED ONLY > [P][P][P][P] > [P][+][K][K] 105 dmg CLOSED ONLY. Difficult to connect off-axis.
    [3][K][P] CLOSED ONLY > [P][P][6][P][P][K] does 100 dmg vs Jeffry and is braindead easy. Same off axis problem.
    [3][K][P] CLOSED ONLY > [P] > [2][P][+][K] > [P][+][K][K] does 103. Same off axis problem.
    [2][K][P][6][K] bound > [3_][K][K] 98 dmg. Somewhat easier to connect off-axis.
    [9][K] wall splat > [P][+][K][K] low wall splat > [3_][K][K] 97 dmg. Easier to connect off-axis.

I wonder if we should create a separate thread for wall staggers?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    Neonomide likes this.
  3. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Still on stagger, i went back and tested DS WS [P] a bit more.

Basically Chibitox's findings still hold; however i toyed around a bit more with [P][+][K][P]; the rewards are worth it.

DS WS [P] CH > [6][6][P][+][K][P] (17f+) > [6][P][K][K] 87 dmg vs everyone excluding Taka.

Using [6][6] before [P][+][K][P] means the execution is 1f (or more) slower. You might be tempted to think "well, if i have to use a 17f move i might as well use [3][P][+][K]". However the range on [3][P][+][K] is so short it requires a longer dash:

DS WS [P] CH > [3][3][3][P][+][K] (19f+) > head crumple combo approx* 87 dmg vs everyone.

*slightly less vs Taka, don't remember the value right now.

Of course, since the shoulder ram is also 19f:

DS WS [P] CH >[6][P][+][K][+][G] (19f) > OS [6][P][P][K] 82 dmg vs everyone excluding Taka (even higher on middleweights and up).

Anyway, all of this doesn't seem that new.

The fun part: if your opponent is good at unstaggering, you don't have to use the dash for [P][+][K][P] to connect (and you only need a short dash for [3][P][+][K]). Making them actually worth using against experienced players.

So basically, if you're playing against an opponent for the first time and you land DS ws [P] go for the shoulder ram. If it gets blocked, next time go for [P][+][K][P]. If that's also blocked, next time go for the WS [P] / throw mixup.

Obviously, if you are already familiar with/you can guess the opponent's unstagger speed, you can skip the experimentation phase and choose the best option directly.

PS: toying around with dashes after a stagger i discovered that DS shoulder ram > OS [3][3_][K][P] > combo of your choice works!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Neonomide likes this.
  4. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    DS IP [K] wall stagger > [2][K]![P][+][G] hit-throw (65 dmg vs everyone).

This is probably common knowledge already but i thought i'd mention it to keep everything in the same thread.

5. Kikimaru

Kikimaru Well-Known Member

PSN:
    kikimaru024
    (Stagger recovery: Normal)
    [4][P]CH, [6][P][+][K][+][G], [3][K][P][K], [6][6]~[6][P][+][K][+][G] 124dmg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  6. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Are we talking possibles or probables here? You will never, ever, land [4][P] if the opponent is staggered and they have their hands on the controller. Even with backdash stagger which is really deep, it's very unlikely it's just too slow.

If you're in DS and have them staggered WS [P] or at best, [K] is all you're going to get from a normal stagger.

7. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    @Kikimaru [3][K][P][K] > [6][6][K][+][G] should do 1 more damage :)

But DS [4][P] > shoulder > OS [3][K][P] float > [2][P][+][K] bound > ender of your choice will probably do even more damage.

Also, please note that (as i mention in 4 posts ago) OS [3][K][P] will whiff against some lightweights because the shoulder stagger pushes them further away than heavier characters. So i recommend using [3][3][K][P] > followup of your choice (which is 1f slower) or substituting with a [6][6][K][K] combo instead.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Kikimaru likes this.
  8. erdraug

XBL:
    erdraug
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Kikimaru likes this.