1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Mortal Kombat 9

Discussion in 'General' started by Mackfactor, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Although the game looks entertaining a quick trip to Youtube satisfies my curiosity. The babalities are very clever.

2. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I've gotten the best connections through player match, even if you have to wait 2-3 minutes for someone to join. I think the game waits to find you a really solid connection before you get matched with that person.

I've had several completely lagless games in player match so far.

This is definitely a solid game. I like the combo system so much, I can just spend hours in practice mode trying to find the best combos.

I definitely feel like NR took time with each character to make them all compelling and fun to use. The only thing I'd really like to see are some frames, at least for some of the more generic moves like an uppercut/whiffed uppercut to know if you can get a guaranteed combo opener if you duck one. Since almost all the openers I've found are high, trying to pressure with too many strings up close carries a pretty high chance of getting "uppercutted" (I don't think that's a real word though), so trying to bait one out and ducking it SHOULD BE a good strategy. No REAL record mode in training is a bummer.

Some characters seem to have a lot more medium/mid attacks than others, so I can only assume that's for balancing reasons. For instance, I don't think you want to duck too much against Nightwolf cause he will chop your head with mids all over the place.

My current favorite character is Sektor.

3. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

The way highs work aren't the same as other games. It's based on where the actual move hits. There are mid level high attacks that can't be ducked under, but can be blocked standing or crouched. In the training, "Medium" are Overhead attacks. There are also some strikes that can't be crouch blocked under, but can be ducked under unguarded, too. At Testyourmight, moves that can't be crouched under are designated M for mid, if it's an overhead it'll be noted as one.

Some characters frames on their basic attacks are drastically different than others. For example if you look at Sonya's uppercut it seems to start up extremely fast, as opposed to others.

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

http://en.justin.tv/teamsp00ky/b/284426102

Team Sp00ky tournament archive from last week(?) When you get to 1:34(ish) you can decide whether to jump 14 minutes ahead or watch the button map madness. patch that shit.

5. def

def Well-Known Member

I really like this new MK game, it's definitely the MK game we fighting game fans deserve. I was tired of the recycled features in the last gen games and MK vs. DC gave a bit of freshness but nowhere near enough of it plus it lacked the series roots with bloody fatalities. This new one is really great, I'm glad they pulled a Street Fighter 4 and went pretty much completely back to the series roots with all the features. And don't forget there WILL be DLC for the game. The only gripe I have is that not all the characters have ALL their moves such as Sonya's bicycle kick (as a special move, I know it is part of her X-ray attack). The other gripe though minor in my opinion is that u can't play as boss characters (with the exception of Goro in the Tower mode).

6. QuickClaw

QuickClaw Member

Is MK9 really that good? Because after I bought Marvel vs Capcom 3 SE, I kinda decided to put fighting games down for awhile...but lately, and not just online, but I'm hearing a lot of hype about this game. MvsC 3 was a dissapointment...will I like this?

7. Gernburgs

MvC3 just wasn't that good of a game, this game a lot better IMO.

MvC3 is just frustrating, and eventually boring, to play. I think you'll like this new MK a lot, they did a great job with this game.

All personal opinion, but MK9 is solid.

8. JackyB

JackyB Well-Known Member

MK9 is soild

9. Outfoxd

Outfoxd Well-Known Member

MK9 definitely seems to foster creativity, and I enjoy the strategy that comes with super bar management. Do I use some enhanced specials to get more damage or some better properties? Do I hold onto it to break one of my opponent's combos? Or do I just save it so I can combo into something big damage?

10. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

My experience of MK9 over the past few days is that it's total shite. The combo system is broken beyond all comprehension. Most characters have easy looping combos, especially in the corner. The online lobby system is mega clunky and even on a full green connection bar the lag seems crippling.
    Shite.

11. Gernburgs

Um, this is pretty sweeping statement that you don't even attempt to qualify, you don't even give ONE example.

I couldn't disagree with you more, the combo system is truly dope, I really can't get enough, I'm wishing I was playing right now. As far as the online stuff, I haven't really gotten into it too, too much yet, because I feel like I still need more practice to get acclimated, but I've definitely had a positive experience overall. It's pretty much on the level, but it could be improved for sure. I think they need to speed up the matchmaking time if possible, but if it's slow because it's finding you an optimal connection, I'm cool with that.

A lot of people are complaining about online being overrun by rage-quitters and pullers, which I haven't experienced personally, but agree is problem. It's just another example of how gross, dishonest and dishonorable our society has become. I'm sure some people will say I'm making too big of a deal out of game, but it's deeper than the game, it's the disgusting attitude beneath the behavior. Pullers feel that only they should be allowed to win, it's selfish and terrible, are these A-holes going to pull on themselves when they're about to win? Of course not, only when you're going to win.

It violates the entire premise of gaming in a way. Playing a ranked match online is akin to a bet, you're betting your (worthless) win/loss record against your opponents and you pay up by gaining a loss, thus, giving them a win. To enter into that bet or agreement, with the intention of only making good on the agreement if the outcome in their favor, is dirty and shows a total lack of character and honor.

The worst part about it is: your win/loss record truly IS worthless, even less so when you didn't even earn it honestly, so what's the point of pulling at all??? It's just asinine and it hurts the integrity of online gaming. Anyone who pulls should have a giant banner over their name that says "puller" so their all important W/L record, that they cheated to get, remains, well, completely worthless.

12. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Don't even attempt to qualify? He made a statement then gave, 2 or 3 depending on how you look at it, reasons that back it up in his opinion. What is it you're asking him for? How do you manage to quote someone and still ignore what they wrote? [​IMG]

13. def

def Well-Known Member

I've heard that even if u quit a match, the quit STILL counts as a loss.

also, i've noticed if an opponent quits during a King of The Hill match, u still get spectator points, I think 5 if I'm not mistaken.

14. CJA

CJA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IzunaDrop25
    XBL:
    CJA25
    I love this game

15. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I mean who doesn't like to know they pissed off someone so badly they rage quit? I know I like watching it happen on youtube videos. Midway gets points for this move.

16. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Like MarlyJay said, I did give examples of why I didn't like it. If you wanted examples of BS combos then here's one I figured out after half an hour. In the corner playing as smoke press X then Triangle (or whatever it is on the 360). Then.... just repeat that until it's knocked off more than half their energy bar. If your opponent hasn't got the meter to do a breaker, then they have to just sit there and eat a dick.
    To anyone that likes the game, that's cool. I'm genuinely surprised that so many VF players like it as VF is the most skillful, balanced fighting game out there, where as MK is, erm... arse. [​IMG]

17. Gernburgs

Making another vague, sweeping statement to back up your first vague, sweeping statement like "characters have looping combos, especially in the corner" is so far from a specific example that I'm not even sure why you thought your response would hold any water at all...

The example with Smoke is a little more specific, but regardless, you'd have plenty of meter for a breaker way before they got anywhere close to 50% of your health.

Personally, I don't know how you couldn't find a lot to like with this game, but that's just my opinion.

18. Outfoxd

Outfoxd Well-Known Member

I can only seem to get 8 hits off of doing that many reps of X to Triangle in the corner, and that only gets me about 31 percent damage.

I dunno, I think I'm acclimated to losing lots of health off stuff anyway. After playing MVC3 where if I fuck up once I'm getting air-dash comboed over and over into Gravity Squeeze or getting full barred by good Dante players and losing entire characters, 50 percent doesn't even seem that bad anymore.

That's probably not a good thing XD.

19. Hyunster

Hyunster Well-Known Member

I also find a VF player complaining about 50% combos hypocritical. Anyone remember the VF2 days when you would have considered yourself lucky if Lau's 75% lifebar combo didn't ring you out? At least I don't think any of the 50% lifebar combos in MK are that easy to do. If you can consistently do 50% combo with Smoke with no meters (assuming such a combo even exists) I think you are a national champion material.

20. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

smoke and meters!

you don't even have to look as far back as VF2 to see combos dealing out 50% (and easy) damage.