1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

New to VF - which fighter should I start with?

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by synce, Jul 22, 2007.

1. synce

synce Active Member

In Tekken I play Steve Fox, in DOA I play Zack... Naturally I feel like I should use Brad in VF. Is he easy to pick up? Does he bob and weave like the other two boxers I mentioned? I love evasiveness. I was also thinking of using Eileen, simply because of the unique fighting style. What do you think?

(I don't own VF yet, so I can't try them out until it comes out on 360)

2. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Play around and get a feel for the different characters. Then pick the one you like. There's no reason to settle on a character early on.

3. Caj

Caj Well-Known Member

Before anything I say practice the pure basics of the game on VF4:Evolution if you have a PS2.The game covers just about everything you need to know when it comes to the game system.You'll also be able to get an idea of how Brad plays to see if you'll want to continue learning him and his new stuff in VF5.

4. DarkGift

DarkGift Well-Known Member

Before you start getting into hardcore dojo on EVO which IS awesome. just mess around with the game. Although the training mode is awesome, it might be too much info to take in if you don't even regularly play the game yet

Characters with the "easiest" learning curve are probably pai/lau. But naturally, once you move onto a higher level of gameplay they get just as difficult to master as other chars.

Eileen is a bore. D:

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Brad seems about right. You may also want to check out Lei Fei and Shun.

6. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

don't listen to darkgift eileen is the most fun to play with if you like evasiveness and controlling a match with your blinding speed. I used to play kage in evo. Jacky is also an easy char to just pick up as is Sarah. But again they all get hard to master in the end.

7. NykkoMT

NykkoMT Active Member

Sooo I use Lei-fang in DoA, Asuka in Tekken, so I should use Pai in VF5?

8. DarkGift

DarkGift Well-Known Member

Although fighting style wise different characters from different games may match up, you shouldn't think of it as "I used this char in this game so I HAVE to use this char in VF." Try out the different characters and look to see what you might like or dislike. There are only 17 characters in the game unlike other fighters where you have probably double that, so it shouldn't take too long to try them all out

9. synce

synce Active Member

Thanks for the input. I kinda got tired of waiting and decided to just rent the PS3 version. So far I really like Brad. He seems like a great character, but there's definitely some challenge to being effective with him, which I like. Eileen's not as much fun as I thought. Shun seems like he could be the easiest character to win with. Akira is someone I'll never have the patience for. These are just a few of my first impressions! Looking forward to improving my skill.

10. invalid

invalid Active Member

Why is picking a character so hard rant

Seriously, does anyone have as much trouble picking a character to play as I do? I pretty much consider Wolf my main, although I'm not as certain as most are with picking a main, simply because I've played the most with him. As I decided to go with a new character after about 700 matches just to keep things from going stale with him, I noticed I pretty much had a profile for each character there is haha. Each one has something going for it, so I find myself with a new one each time I fire up my PS3.

I blame Sega for making each character fun to play. Does anyone else have this problem? One of you veterans should write a detailed character guide for me haha /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

11. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Re: Why is picking a character so hard rant

Each character being fun to play as you said. Game being balanced when it comes to character selection and tiering. Annnd I think people are scared to invest time into a character they may not like later on down the road. Maybe not like reaelly scared, but in the back of their mind they worry they may put more effort in a character they won't use, when they could use that time doing other things/practicing their actual main.

12. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL

I used to start a new character every time I played VF as well. In time I noticed a difference, but not in gameplay but in how much i enjoy a character, no matter what dmg, combos, and options he or she had. I think what one needs is to play long enough with all the characters to decide which one he/she likes the most. For me, the best so far are Wolf, Lei-Fei, Brad.... and there is one more profile that I have on my PS3, but the character there changes every week. And I always wanted to use 3 to 4 characters, so there might still be someone there. You (and me too) just need to play VF and play and play and play and play.... till you die /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

13. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants

Just pick your, uh, favorite-ist character at the moment. Then use that character in a real match against people. If you don't like playing with that character anymore, pick another.

I understand what you are talking about, as I constantly change characters.

Character order (not counting characters I mash with on the side):

VF4:Evo
    Sarah (a few weeks)
    Vanessa (month or so)
    Jeffry (a year)
    Wolf (for a bit)
    Akira (a few months)
    Goh (a few months)

VF5
    Jeffry (once I moved to Norcal)
    Aoi (for a week)
    Jeffry (back to who I know)
    Vanessa (once I bought a PS3, for 2 1/2 months)
    Goh (2 months)
    Wolf (presently)

The more you play (against people), the more likely you'll find your favorite.

14. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jaxelrod

Actually for me, in VF4E I didn't like the game. It felt slow to me and I was used to the Soul Calibur buffer system which had long buffer windows. VF5 now has long buffer systems which made the game a lot more fun to me.

Originally I played LeiFei, now I play Brad and Vanessa.

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

My main is Shun, but since my friends are only learning, I decided to dick around with Eileen. I've come to like her style a lot and consider her my alt now. I also find interest in Jeffry and Lau. Time is short for me so I can't really flesh out skills in more than two people.

16. invalid

invalid Active Member

I only play against a couple of people, but that very reason makes me want to play everyone anyway haha. Oh well, I like playing quest mode a lot and customizing my characters anyway, so having one of each doesn't sound too bad lol

17. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

my personal goal is to play proficient with all the chars that way I know what each of them have going for and against. I try to pick one char that I'm going to love to death each VF. In all of them up to VF5 it was always kage hands down because I like ninja's. Then eileen showed up with her monkey style and it just fits my own personal style of fighting mentality that I had to move on to her. Sadly enough that hurt my kage game a lot. Now I play jacky because I like the changes they made to him in VF5. I also fool around with akira, lau, pai, wolf, goh, and lei fei. One day i'll own with akira. . . one day (dreams)

18. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Actually... VF5's input buffer window is shorter than VF4! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

19. invalid

invalid Active Member

I have slow hands, so no buffer window is big enough for me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

20. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Not to say the game is slower than Evo by quite every aspects. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
    It's funny you're not the first one I see saying that VF5 is faster, I don't know what gives this feeling to people /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif