1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Next Gen consoles. What console looks promising?

Discussion in 'General' started by Wiztick, May 21, 2013.

1. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    Yeah but those were times when technology was advancing at an astonishing rate! A time when CDs were replacing floppies and when HDD were getting bigger (memory size) and cheaper (like how 2GB memory stick cost £100). Now it's all about mobile devices and tablets development; nobody is interested in developing for big chunky machines any more. What's changed between when the PS3 was released and now? Not much really... just cheaper memory and more cores in processors. There's simply nothing on the technology side to talk about that will wow people any more. I mean, did the specs of the PS4 make you go "OMGZ DATZ AMAZIN"!?11? Probably not - underwhelmed if anything.

Yeah, I agree. I want to look at the starting line up of games before deciding on anything.

2. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

Fuck this upcoming gen. Master Race all the way, just like the PS2 era. PC/PS4. Until MS explains their policy clearly(SONY already said is up to the publishers)Is a no go. I like buying from a second hand market and importing as well. That means importing games are going to have an IP conflict now. So no more buying an imported unit to play imports. And I'm going to let LIVE expire as well this year. I don't see the benefits paying for P2P. PS+ is actually the best thing to happen this gen. Paying for LIVE to use Netflix and other services I already pay for is dumb as hell. Is SEGA releases VF6 on the master race...:O Goodbye consoles, it was nice knowing ya.

cobratron likes this.
  3. SNAKE BOSS

SNAKE BOSS Well-Known Member

Then it will be a wise choice because we will be able to finally fight each other my friend. Depends on next month though when we see more on the systems.

4. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    The design and specs of the machine are well document and very public. It is easy to review the info and judge for yourself.

5. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    But the whole "lost sale" argument is flawed. If I tell my mate I can't lend him a game he has to buy it, he just won't buy it. If he wanted to buy it he would have bought it not borrow it from me. But if he tries a game borrowed from me that he wouldn't otherwise have played he might like it and go on to buy the sequels.

Keoma and MarlyJay like this.
  6. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I am starting to believe MS spread the world about such nonsenses as constant net connection + constantly running camera or fees for using used games intentionally to make people (and mainly journalists) to talk about them a lot. Then they will have demented it all, but people will already know about x-bONE.
    Actually, it is not bad marketing strategy, if it is true.

7. CheekyChi

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    Its not flawed, your mate may buy games after finding that its actually a good game. But how many people do that? My friend let me borrow Bayonetta, Dark Souls and Assassins Creed Brotherhood. All of which I really like but I'm not going to buy them because I've played them already. So that's 3 lost sales already. Your last scenario already is a "lost sale". What if there were no sequels released because of low sales? Imagine if Tomb Raider only sold a quarter of what it did because of borrowing, it probably wouldn't have had sequels. Obviously I don't think borrowing is the major issue, I just think its naughty and companies just wanted to get rewarded for their time and effort.

8. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    I say it's flawed because in any case where someone got something for free it is impossible to judge whether they would have bought it if the free option was not available. Just because someone opts to get something for free doesn't mean they would buy it if there was no free option. It's the same with piracy.

The way it typically works with me is: when I want a game I buy it. But there are some games I wouldn't mind checking out but not interested enough to buy it. So if my mate happens to like that game enough and buys it he will lend it to me after he completes it. There's no lost sale as chances of me buying it are slim. Or perhaps he will recommend something to me.

The lost sale argument is unhelpful because it's a very simplistic way of looking at the situation. So, I very rarely buy used games but I bought Dead Space used. By the lost sale argument the publisher has lost out on a sale. The actual situation is more complex. The fuller version is I just wanted to take a punt on something random and I put a price ceiling on what it would cost. So went to the game store and chose Dead Space pre-owned for just under the price ceiling (which was a tenner I think). I had no intention of buying Dead Space. I had tried the demo and hated it but in this situation I ended up getting it. I f**king loved it, dude. That game is awesome. Suddenly I was a Dead Space fan and I bought Dead Space 2 when it came. It proved to be a short love affair but nevermind. Okay I know my case is probably in a minority but just shows the used game market is not all negatives. It's not always the case that someone wants the product but cheap. In many cases secondhand/used/lending can be an opportunity to get your product into the hands of someone who wasn't that interested in it and would never have bought it. That is a good thing.

9. CheekyChi

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    Yes, there are always exceptions to everything but in the case that you let your friend have a go on your copy of the game, your friend had access to the full game without paying anything. Ok, so that might make him buy future games, but that's only if enough people bought the first game in the first place to motivate companies to make the sequel.

The point I'm making is how would you feel if you made an amazing game but only sold 25 copies because it was being circulated between 100 people? Would you then spend another 6-18 months making an even better sequel in the hope that all those people who had a go at the previous game will buy this one? Dark Souls 2 is coming out (or has it come out yet?) and I loved the first one, but I'm not going to get the second one - a bit too hardcore for me. But that doesn't mean others will do the same.

I think we're starting to go round and round in circles now... I guess it's safe to say we both have our own opinion on this subject.

10. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

I don't know about you but I don't need to worry about every game companies (publisher/developer/whatever) financial dealings every time I purchase a game, put a disc into my console or even think about looking at a game.

If used game sales and piracy hurts them so much then maybe they could provide better incentives to purchase new instead of punishing the average gamer? With the information that's been said so far, it's not like MS are trying to help game companies out here anyway. They simply want in on some of those $$$$'s.

11. CheekyChi

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    You don't worry because you feel it's not your problem (irresponsible behaviour really). If you are buying games then it's not, but if you are loaning games, etc... then you're contributing to the problem. Everyone is like you, selfish - want everything for as little as possible and instead of thinking about the person who put in the blood and sweat of making the game you're playing, you think how you can sell it back to stores to recoup some of the money you spent on it - cutting the profits of stores. Do you think that's right? Do you remember HMV? They had to go into administration because of lack of money.

Also, what gives you the right to sell the code on which you made no effort into creating? I sell things on to other people too but I don't feel as if it's God given rights that I can. To be honest, it is a bit cheeky to do so. I'm pretty sure if there was a way to stop people selling things onwards before getting consent from the creator they would. But the real world suggests it's not possible.

I'm sorry, how are they punishing the average gamer? Are they whipping them before they can buy it? How did the average gamer become a victim all of a sudden? What's this about better incentives to purchase new games? Nobody is forcing you to buy it. If you want something, you work and then you pay for it. Pretty much like you would for a car, house, jewellery, clothes and food.

Your attitude reminds me of a TV programme I saw - people basically said foreigners were taking people's jobs and that's why they don't have work. Then the TV station got them jobs, the same jobs as the "foreigners" they disliked so much. These jobs were all low paid, hard labour jobs. Jobs that they considered too low for them to do. Blame blame blame. Everyone blames something and it's never their fault.

12. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    I actually dig the non-gaming stuff they showed at the x1 reveal :)

Kinect sounds like it could add some awesome features as well. Like most people, I'm not interested in gimmicky kinect-only titles, but the fact kinect now comes standard with every console means it becomes a whole lot easier for developers to use it to make gaming even more immersive.

The 'snap' feature looks awesome as well: imagine playing vf with the shoutbox snapped in for example!

The discussion surrounding secondhand games sounds like it's being drawn out of proportion. No reason to get hysterical until microsoft actually gives out concrete info about how it will work. The things I've heard them say so far sound like they make sense: since you have to install the game to your hdd and then no longer need the disc, not creating restrictions would just mean you could buy one disc and let the entire world borrow it to install the game from the same disc. I suspect the full fee will simply be for using the disc to install while it's still registered to another console. It's also already been confirmed that all profiles on a single console can play the game.

I'm also pretty sure microsoft will really impress with their games at e3. Kinect only titles arent really necessary anymore, since they dont have to sell separate kinects, so I'm expecting a lot of exciting games to be shown :)

Feck likes this.
  13. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

As mentioned earlier, I always buy new. I pay for XBL and PS+ and I buy games when i'm a fan of the series or developer. I don't sell games on, though I often lend them to friends.

Maybe it's not enough, since those people within the game industry must go through an awful lot of pain, misery and turmoil from the picture you're painting. Either way, being charged for staring at a game intently just worries me, surprised so many people seem ok with it o_O

14. CheekyChi

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    There's always demos... or reviews? :D

15. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    No, we both agree in some respects. Artists should be compensated for their work otherwise they will not be able to live, make more etc. In that respect I always conduct myself honourably. If I want what they have made I will buy it straight up. That goes for everything not just games which is one of the reason I never pirate anything. BUT with a loan game from a friend the maker has already been compensated for that game. They sold the game disc. It is no longer theirs. So, no, there is no case where they should be having any additional say in what happens to that game.

But also it's just life man, people lend stuff. Happens with books, movies, games or whatever, it's how people are. Whether it's some obscure book your friend has never heard of or a game you think they will really love. I totally agree that outlets like Game and stuff are taking it to the next level with the used games and should be reined in but a block like the one MS is suggesting is some lock down sh*t. That's crazy.

I think you should forget Dark Souls and play Demon's Souls:cool: . It's the One True Souls Game in my opinion and quite different from Dark Souls. I didn't like Dark Souls. Demon's Souls forever!

16. CheekyChi

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    They've been compensated by that person but not by the person who borrowed it off their friend. So they've been paid for one game instead of two.

When you buy a game, you've bought the right to play that game. The content doesn't belong to you, the code still belongs to the developers/publishers, so theoretically they can have additional say in it. Back in the days, they used to have these warnings on VHS videos saying that legally, you're not supposed to rent, lend, blah blah blah but it was ridiculously hard to reinforce so everyone ignored it. Remember the London "riots" last summer? The law says you're not supposed to take what's not yours but a lot of people started looting shops because they figured they wouldn't be caught cause the police weren't doing anything about it. Pretty similar in that we're not supposed to be letting our friends borrow games off us but because nothing is done about it, we do it any way.

17. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    To be honest I'm not all that clear on the laws around disc-based software purchase. Is it just a limited license agreement for use?

18. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Yes, when you buy a game you are only buying the right to play the game on it. You don't own the software, but you own the physical disc.

Having buddies come over to your house and play is "legal", loaning it to your friend technically is not...

Strange really...

19. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    You have a legal right to sell on those licenses at least in the EU. Regardless of what the EULA says, once the first sale has been made to you, you can then again sell what you have acquired.

In my family I'm the big gamer. My aunts and uncles will ask me what console i have and get the same for my younger cousins. They'll borrow games from me initially and occasionally and on big occasions like birthdays or christmas when they've saved some money, games are an easy present. You wanna guess which console they won't be getting now?

For my older relatives, they're casual gamers. I lend them games they might like. They try them and if they like them they'll usually pick them up, though sometimes they have to wait for a sale. You wanna guess which console they won't be getting?

I seriously can't see Microsoft going through with it. So many people will shy away from it, UNLESS Sony goes the same way. Makes you think doesn't it. They can't be that stupid. Must be something they know that we don't.

Feck likes this.
  20. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Truly these dark thoughts have been also troubling me off late. It's just so crazy for MS to push this through on their own. Even by MS standards that's way out there. They must have other associates in this. I wonder if Sony is one of them. EA cancelled it's online pass the other day which is quite a mysterious event itself but could be linked.