1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Northwest VF (Pacific NW, North America)

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Chanchai, May 8, 2007.

1. R_Panda

R_Panda Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    DDAE4 was a great success! A ton of improved play and close battles, but Hellsap's Taka brought him home the gold and the cash, winning just over Paracles and Zonymash in games won in this 6 man round robin. See the full results here: http://challonge.com/DDAE4
    The bonus round has yet to be conquered, as I defended my $25 in a 5/3 (o.0 yes).

I hope ya'll are excited for the next one, two weeks from now and a week after SEGA Cup! Don't miss it!

Chanchai likes this.
  2. 00000000

00000000 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZeroLovesDnB
    HEY GUYS! Great meeting you all at Sega Cup. I look forward to the opportunity in seeing you all again. Hoping I can make it out to the EnDubbs for beer... and some matches, of course.

Chanchai, R_Panda and Zass like this.
  3. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    • [​IMG]
      1515 SW Montgomery St 97201
    • [​IMG] The first all-inclusive Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown tournament hosted at the Downtown Dojo.

A $5 double elimination tournament for VF5FS, open to all willing participants and challengers. Bring your game face, this is the real deal!

Start time to be announced!

Home equipment includes two Asus monitors, a 360+TE, a PS3+TE, and a dual modded hitbox. Private house with fair parking and space for 25 players easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DDAE5 has concluded!
      Congratulations, shinryu! Second time claiming championship in a row, fought to the wire with Paracles and Quickdrraw. Goggles has continued to learn quickly and adapt as fast as anyone, and took two games himself! Zonymash will need to practice for the next tourney. :3

See the match ups here!
      http://challonge.com/DDAE5

00000000 and Chanchai like this.
  4. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Saturday tournament start time for casuals at 4:30pm, tournament at 5pm! I get off work at 330pm so casuals can't start any earlier than that. :(

5. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Thanks all who attended Downtown Dojo Battle Royale! I took first, but congrats to Fatbear on second place, and shinryu on coming in third. We had a good seven man bracket, including new comer 16 from Seattle! Nice to meet ya man. I saw a lot of good games and fierce competition, just how I like it. GGs to everyone I played, and thanks to Chanchai for coming out even when you couldn't make the start of the tourney, I really appreciate that. Again, ggs ya'll.

Check out the next Amateur Event next Sunday, and I think I want to run the next Battle Royale in two weeks if my schedule works out. How does that sound to everyone?

Check out the bracket at:
    Challonge.com/DDBR

6. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Also, I'm changing my handle to R★Panda.
    Oh, and next training session is Tuesday starting at five! Let's play even better by the next tournament, yea??

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Awesome times and great games to R★Panda, Yangsing, Paracles, and Fat Bear tonight at the Dojo!

The hard part about VF is how draining it can be on focus, so much to pay attention to at all times... The first hour I felt really sharp, second hour I felt much less sharp but there were times I felt I was problem solving some things okay, and then later in the evening I was way less sharp but a lot of fun stuff was happening on both sides of the screen!

Yangsing's Jacky is strong even when it's dropping combos and whiffing with some moves--going to be really scary soon when all that is tightened up!

Jaye's Brad is hanging in there with everyone. He's fighting through the gauntlet hard, I love the diligence! You might be at a plateau for a little bit right now, but you're going to make a climb soon, just keep up with it!

Panda's Brad came prepared to not fall for the same stuff I was hitting him as recently as Saturday! Certain things in your game have been tightened and it felt like you had this ability to see what other people were doing that worked and incorporate it. Great stuff and always fun seeing your Brad adjust! BTW, man, even when I was switching up and what not, your throw escape yomi seemed to do really well tonight against me. Even if I was in control of my throwing and went random, you felt it out. Awesome stuff!

Fat Bear's Akira was terrifying and incredibly fun to fight against. Great problem solving in some areas, great gameplans going into matchups, probably the main way I would describe it is hyper. That said, it is suffocating fighting your Akira because it is getting better at not over-committing while maintaining safety. This type of playing is so intimidating and feels like all options will get defended. I felt I had to either trick you into negative frames or even consider using K(G) more as a way to mess with your twitchy responses.

I can't wait to play with all of you again soon!

8. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    6.5 hours of VF..! That was a great session, pretty intense to go that long, but great stamina training.

Sorry I was whiny when you first came over Chanchai, I was disappointed in my play against you until I remembered how to correctly use spacing again. It's always so critical in our match up..

I'm excited with everyone's progress and how everyone came at their matches ready to learn and adjust. Everyone kept me on my feet all night, including Paracles! Thanks to everyone who came over, including Zony earlier in the night.

GGs ya'll!

Chanchai likes this.
  9. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Downtown Dojo Amateur Event 6

Sunday, May 12
    9:00pm

1515 sw montgomery st 97201

This is the sixth installment of my VF tournament series catering to newer players. Fight amongst others without a Best Bout Beatdown Champion title as you play a double elimination tournament for the entire pot (entry fee of $2), and the chance to play me in a ft5 for $25, at no risk to you. Tourney starts at 10pm. Come for the money, stay for the training.

DDAE5 recap:
    Congratulations, shinryu! Second time claiming championship in a row, fought to the wire with Paracles and Quickdrraw. Goggles has continued to learn quickly and adapt as fast as anyone, and took two games himself! Zonymash will need to practice for the next tourney.

See the match ups here!
    http://challonge.com/DDAE5

pls byoc

Equipment includes two Asus monitors, a 360+TE, a PS3+TE, and a dual modded hitbox. Private house with fair parking and space for 25 players easy.

Chanchai likes this.
  10. shinryu_returns

shinryu_returns Well-Known Member

i'm there. we'll see if the new tech works out. might bust out vanessa a bit too. do we need another ps3 stick? i've got one but it's ghetto, all sanwa internals though.

Chanchai and R_Panda like this.
  11. R_Panda

PSN:
    Likely_A_Panda
    XBL:
    R Panda
    Bring at least one for yourself, or deal with the house sticks/hitbox/pads.

12. Chanchai

Just a reminder that the Northwest Majors is upon us!

This tournament is amazing and the location is very budget friendly imo, because there are a lot of great deals on lodging and what not.

I will post more details when I can, though I've been swamped with work and family all month!

Here's the event thread though, I will try to update it more this week!

http://virtuafighter.com/threads/8-jun-2013-northwest-majors-des-moines-wa.18007/

The official site is www.northwestmajors.com

Portland training after Sega Cup has been pretty awesome! PM myself or Panda for details on how to get your training on in the Portland area!

13. Chanchai

Northwest Majors is this weekend up in the Seattle area (near Sea-Tac Airport) and I'm pretty excited for this!

I wish I had more time to post more about this, work has been swamping me for a few weeks now...

That said, we've got a lot of strong players from the Northwest already confirmed. While I'm taking a little time from work to post this, I'll write about 3 players I'm excited for. There are more, but I'll try to get around to posting about them later.

I'm probably most excited for MasaRED, the online Shun player who has earned the respect of the best players in North America since VF5 Online Edition. Masa is scary when he gets a read on you and despite Shun being a very tricky character, Masa's direct style of play is generally hard to deal with. He will spend time reading you, and then he'll go after you when he's got it. Masa's last major tournament performance was at last year's End of Summer tournament (another Major in the Northwest) where he fought incredibly close, down to the wire matches against Renzo and AyuFanb0y. This weekend, my bet is on Masa to win it all, but I'm going to do my best to stop him!

From Portland, I am super excited to announce that both Yangsing and Fat Bear are confirmed for Northwest Majors. Both are exciting players to watch and bring some great things to the table!

Yangsing (who has one a Best Bout Beatdown under the name, "Gangnam Style") is a versatile player, I often liken him to an engineer. He's quick to figure out the mechanics of a fighting game and finds stuff that works and approaches the game logically. I feel that his style of play is very similar to AyuFanb0y's. In Portland, we are incredibly lucky to have a player like Yangsing who can figure out and play a variety of characters effectively. Characters Yangsing is known to have used: Kage, Shun, Jeffry, Taka, Jacky, El Blaze, Jean.

Fat Bear is a known name in the Street Fighter communities (especially Third Strike where he's made great marks, but also in CvS2). Fast reactions, great input skills, and a smart player (generally the mathematical type). You might also want to invite him to a game of Poker or Mahjong ;) Final Showdown is the first VF where Fat Bear has played it at a very dedicated level and focused on the game, in fact, it is his primary game now. He's all about the VF now (but he also loves SFIV). Fat Bear plays Akira but he also spends a good deal on learning Goh. He admits that Goh is harder to play competitively than Akira, at least where he is at right now, but he really enjoys playing both. One of the biggest draws to VF for Fat Bear is that it is a game where you really can get better through training mode--this really helps as he is in a phase of his life where it is really hard to make time to go to events because of family, fatherhood, and lots of work. The work he puts into training mode really shows as he finds answers to character-specific situations we pressure him, and his level of sharpness just keeps getting stronger and stronger. Fat Bear is in the group I call the Portland Top 5, he cemented that position by fulfilling a prediction of mine: winning a Portland Best Bout Beatdown tournament before the end of the year 2012. He fulfilled it in December and we're proud to have him in the club!

Anyways, there's going to be a lot of great action at Northwest Majors and on top of that, a lot of awesome casuals!

If you are planning to go to Northwest Majors, as a spectator or competitor, let us know so we can make sure we all meet up for a lot of fun times and great matches!

-Chanchai

Cozby likes this.
  14. nou

nou Well-Known Member

So I double checked my schedule and they have me working but like 5 other people off this weekend.

I'm pretty pissed right now because before Sega Cup, I had this shit locked before anyone else. I'm 99% positive, but I can't look back. Something peculiar because I had another vacation planned sometime in later months, and my name isn't anywhere on their as well, so something is pretty fishy and I'm pretty livid as of this typing.

It's safe to say I won't be at the tournament and I would talk to them about it but I still have to talk to them about the later vacation I have planned and why all the motherfuckers have their names on their and yet mine is missing. I'm ready to knock out the fucking manager if they switched shit out and people had to readjust their time, or what the fuck. and I get left to fuck off.

15. Chanchai

Will you be able to join us for casuals on either Saturday or Sunday? I always enjoy hanging out with you, man.

16. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Sunday most likely not, as I'm guessing people will have left. As far as Saturday, I get off at 9pm, so we'll see. Getting some casuals would be nice. In my anger I didn't think about that, lol!

17. Chanchai

[​IMG]
    HOW TO WATCH NORTHWEST MAJORS!

All of the VF tourney action will be happening on Saturday, June 8th, featured on two streams:

The intended schedule has been posted and you can read it here:
    http://northwestmajors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/nwmv_schedule.jpg

The Main Tournament is intended to start on SATURDAY at NOON (PST) and will be featured on the 3d fighters stream.
    3D STREAM: http://www.twitch.tv/khaosgamingtv

The Top 4 is intended to start on SATURDAY at 6PM (PST) and it will be featured on the Main Stream.
    MAIN STREAM: http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos

Delays happen, often at majors. The best way to know what's going on is to follow the official twitter page!
    Northwest Majors on Twitter: https://twitter.com/northwestmajors/

(East Coast EST Notes: Main Tournament = 3pm EST. Top 4 = 9pm EST. Follow @northwestmajors for updates and delay notices)

18. yangsing

yangsing Member

PSN:
    yangsing
    XBL:
    geefunkera
    Every time I go up to Seattle, Femto has to work

19. nou

nou Well-Known Member

My bad dude. Being sick/allergies(?) have been kicking my ass hard lately, but I'm starting to feel better. I wish I could've made it for some casuals but I just needed to rest more. My schedule should be free for most of August and maybe early July, so I'll see if I can get down there during those times.

Messing with Jacky now and thinking I'm going to main him, with Blaze in the pocket. He is powerful yes, but I feel for my game to be focused I should be using a more straight-forward character that doesn't have so much in the way of gimmicks that let me be lazy and/or get blown up like what.

Chanchai likes this.
  20. Chanchai

I know you'll take this the right way, but I agree that tightening fundamentals is probably the best path for you. You have a lot of skill and you apply your knowledge well, but your game has been centered around a lot of the situational things, which is good, it is. But, it seemed like it let you slide a bit on a few layers of the closeup exchanges, like the spacing or punishing things frame tight. I also think that with an improved side-turn game (handling being side-turned as well as putting more pressure on a side-turned opponent) would be pretty awesome on top of everything in your game.

You do fight well with the basic pokes, though I think that you let 6PK come out a little too often.

In any case, focus on the things you mentioned and I think you're going to love FS more than you already do ;)

In any case, I assume working with Jacky will also make your Blaze even stronger! Sounds great to me and I can't wait to fight you soon!

Also, hope you're feeling much much better man! Your presence was missed at Northwest Majors, but we all understand.