1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Online Character Ranking Competition

Discussion in 'Xbox Live' started by Xzyx987X, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Xzyx987X

Xzyx987X Well-Known Member

A conversation I had in the shout-box a few days ago got me thinking of a great way to liven up Xbox Live and to get people playing competitively again. Why don't we have a site wide competition to determine who is the best player at each character? Sort of like a VF based game of king of the hill.

Here is how it will work. Anyone who thinks they are the best player of a certain character can make a post in this thread saying so. For example:

"I am the best Eileen player. Come get some bitches!"

The person posting this would now officially the top ranked Eileen in this competition. In practice the ranks will be divided by region to minimize lag. Here are the proposed regions: North America, South America, Europe/West Asia (everything west of China), East Asia/Australia/Oceania. So if my profile didn't already have my location in it, I would have to say "I am the best Eileen in North America."

If you want to take over a spot that someone has already declared ownership of, you would make a post saying:

"Like hell you are! Number one Eileen right here you asshole! It's on!"

The current owner of the number one position is then obligated to respond to this challenge, and arrange an online match with the challenger to defend their position. The rules for the match will be as follows:

-Both players must play the character the challenge is for in all matches.
    -First player to three sets wins.
    -Matches must be done in Player Match with all settings at defaults.
    -If the challenged player does not respond within two weeks, the person that challenged them automatically gets their spot.
    -You may not fight the same person for the same position more than once every two weeks.
    -You are not allowed to challenge people from a region other than the one in which you live.

In this competition, you can actually declare yourself as any position in the top 5 for a character. For instance:

"I'm not really that great at Eileen, but I'm sure I'm at least number 4 in my region."

In that case, you would now be the #4 Eileen in the ranking for your region until someone challenges you. You are allowed to hold as many spots for different characters as you can get, but you may only hold one spot at a time per character. So for instance, if the #1 Akira decided to challenge the #2 Akira and won, he would become the #2 Akira, and the #1 spot would be empty. So don't do that, that would be stupid. [​IMG]

I will keep track of the rankings and post periodic updates (I will update my signature with a link once this gets going), so be sure to PM me the results of any match that takes place, otherwise I might not catch it.

Now before the haters start hating, I would like to make one thing clear. This is just for fun, and not to be taken too seriously. I'm well aware that there will be problems, such as lag and disputes over the outcome of matches. If a player proves to be too problematic, I do reserve the right to ban them from participation. There is also the fact that this is online to begin with, and everyone should know at this point that the ranks may not hold up if this were moved offline. Even more importantly, there is the fact that since all matches are forced mirror matches, results may not be at all be representative of who would come out on top without that restriction.

Despite the issues though, I still think this could be a lot of fun. But it's up to you guys to make it that way by actively participating in a respectful and civil manner. [​IMG] I'll get things started...

2. Xzyx987X

I am the #1 Eileen in North America. Bring it on!

3. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

I'm like the # 27 Eileen player but I still challenge you! Have at you!

4. Xzyx987X

Yea, don't worry about where you think you are to begin with. Just take the highest spot open and see if you can keep it. [​IMG] If you fail, you can always declare yourself #2

5. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    I am the #1 Jeffry online in North America but my live expires shortly so I can't defend my title. [​IMG]

6. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

I am the #1 Lion player in Europe(hope UKRayne doesn't see this).

>_>
    <_<

7. smb

smb Well-Known Member

haha, i hope this works.

I tried it with VFDC in general, in a way.

And despite my best efforts, it didn't take.

8. smb

smb Well-Known Member

but perhaps this will get more traction.

9. Xzyx987X

I think it will, because this is something that people can do at their own pace, unlike something where you have to show up on Xbox Live at a particular time, which is really hard to keep people doing consistently (just ask WorstPlayer [​IMG] ). Plus if you are always being challenged it keeps you engaged and competitive. And the two week limit for responding challenges mean people have to keep showing up to play and can't sit around and let their skills atrophy for months at a time.

So here is the ranking at this point:

-North America-

Eileen:
    #1 - Xzyx987X
    #2 - AkiraZero

Jeffry:
    #1 - Kamais Ookin

Shun:
    #1 - | WorstPlayer |

-Europe/East Asia-

Lion:
    #1 - BorisOfWales

We're off to a good start. Keep it coming guys.

10. AkiraZero

I'll be (getting) kicking that (my) ass (whooped) in two weeks. Just you wait. [​IMG]

11. Xzyx987X

Actually, I said you can't challenge the same person for the same position more than once a month. But the rules aren't set in stone yet since we're just starting out. Hmmm... Ok, I'll change it to two weeks and we'll see whether or not that become to hard to keep up with.

12. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

This just shows who's dope in mirror matches right?

13. Xzyx987X

That's more or less the case. If you read my whole first post you'd have realized I'd already noted that was a concern, but that it's only an issue if you take this too seriously, which you shouldn't. Now why don't you jump in and declare yourself as something? [​IMG]

14. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

I'd claim Sarah, but quite frankly I'm quite awful, and also, I haven't opened my stick yet to see what's wrong with it.

Maybe I should take a look at it right now and see why it doesn't work right specifically.

15. Xzyx987X

Doesn't matter how awful you are. At worst you'll give someone else somebody to challenge for the spot so they can feel good about themselves for taking it. [​IMG] I don't want people to be scared to take a spot just because they don't think they can keep it. Think of it as a chance to attract serious matches for your character and learn something in the process.

16. AkiraZero

Ah my bad. I prolly confused it with the 2 week challenge response period. It is probably better though to keep the actual challenge period shorter than a month I guess.

Also, if a higher seed challenges lower seed and wins, higher seed shouldn't have to downgrade imo. Maybe have it like, if that same player challenges the higher seed they'd have to make up that loss PLUS beat that person again to get the higher spot. So if you lose once and challenge that player again some other time you'll need to win two sets. Just something to think about.

17. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    So to prove you're the best witht he character you win in a mirror match?

Here in the UK I think we all know who's best with whom.

18. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Actually the least consistent thing about shakedown was me just ask KO [​IMG] oh by the way shake tomorrow night!

Im the most delusion Shun in north America!

19. Xzyx987X

Like I said, this is just a challenge for players to keep them competitive. It's not to be taken seriously as a definitive list of who's the best. It's just a game of king of the hill where you take a spot and defend it against an onslaught of challengers. Anyway, not participating because you already know who is best is just silly. That's like saying, "I already know I'm the 2nd best player at my character in the UK. There's absolutely no reason I should try to take on other good players at my character to learn stuff from them. No, I'll just sit here not playing Virtua Fighter and making myself completely inaccessible to new players. Anyone who want to have a competitive match with me should clearly have to spend hours figuring out that I'm one of the best players and hooking up with me, only to find that I won't play them just because I don't like them, therefore robbing them of a chance to learn and improve. Cause that's just how I roll, dig it?". Either that, or you're afraid you'll lose. [​IMG] Man, I'm really going off the wall with these exaggerated fake quotations today...

I'm going to assume that by that, you mean you are taking the #1 spot.

20. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    So the point is to play more?

I already play with everyone I can connect well to.

What do I need to prove to them? What do they need to prove to me?

I can understand that it might be fun but when your pool of players is less than half the number of the characters in the game then it's just not disco, baby.