1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

P + K String Analysis

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by Harpooneer, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Harpooneer

Harpooneer Well-Known Member

XBL:
    poisonhorse
    Hello fellow Jeffry users. I have noticed a large amount of [P][+][K] in Japanese videos, and when I experimented with this string I found it very useful. In an attempt to understand this string fully, and to explain why I feel it is one of Jeffry's strongest tools, I gathered all my research together and tested a lot of stuff out. I know that I haven't been playing VF as long as many of you, so I am eager for feedback. I am posting here to see if anyone has any corrections, and just maybe it will illuminate something about this string for others.

The First Hit: [P][+][K] - Body Crush
    Body crush starts in 15 frames. You can safely execute this move after a hit with P and 2P. You can also safely use it after the enemy blocks a kenka kick. Do note that if you try to use this after a blocked jab, as you would an elbow, 2P will beat it. This is perhaps the biggest downside of the move. Although 15 frames isn't the fastest speed for a mid, it is quick enough to safely use after blocking almost any attack that leaves the enemy at disadvantage.
    Body Crush has 37 total frames of execution. A successful evade is 23 frames, and P+K can be evaded in either direction. This means that should you throw out P+K in a neutral situation and it is evaded, you are left at -14. Do not despair! Not only is it difficult for the opponent to know from neutral if they evaded on the first frame, there is also a technique using the second part of the string to dissuade people from pushing buttons on evade. In addition, you will usually be using this move at slight advantage, so you will have additional frames of safety. Here's an example: your 2P hits and you are at +4. If your P+K is evaded, you are now at -10 (37-23-4) so there is no guaranteed damage.
    This is kind of a big deal, as your 6P leaves you at -1 while body crush gives you a +1 advantage. Fast mids that have advantage on normal hit are nice to have, and Jeff has another which I will be studying in depth later (Hell Dunk Elbow). Not only are you able to continue pressure, but the followup is a natural combo and the whole string does 34 damage.
    The string is really, really easy to hit check on counter hit, and I think it does 43 damage. If you would rather have the mixup opportunity, or if you have a habit of tapping G after every action, you are at +8 on counter hit with this move. Very juicy for something that safe. You can also cancel this into threat stance on reaction, which is not terribly useful but has some merits in sideturn/wall pressure situations.
    You are at -5 on block. This opens up standard defensive options (crouch dash fuzzy, abare), but because of the nature of this move there are some additional options you will have. You can continue the string with varying levels of delay (discussed below). You can also, depending on your spacing, backdash/backdash evade and make certain short-range responses from enemies whiff (read: [2][P] elbows, jabs, moves that start strings, etc.) which opens up a world of counter hit possibilities at a moderate risk to yourself.

The Second Hit: [P][+][K],[P] - Double Crush
    The second hit of the string leaves you at -1 on normal hit. This allows for fuzzy guard, and also opens up the backdash/backdash evade option. There is also a psychological factor involved (read: oh no I got hit!!) which may make your opponent occasionally give up this 1 frame advantage.
    Double crush does 24 damage alone on counter hit. In addition, you can get the hit throw followup which deals another 45. 69 damage is pretty serious, and the delay you can achieve with this string makes this a real threat for blocking opponents who are overeager to push back. Situations where this counter hit can be set up are discussed later.
    When this second hit is blocked, you are left at -6. Defensive options here include lazy throw escape guard, and evade dash cancel variations, both of which are discussed at length by people far more knowledgeable than I. -6 is not too bad, but it almost doesn't matter since this second part of the string hits high. Good players will most likely duck this or try to use a high-crushing move ([2][P], anyone?) instead of blocking it. Still, this provides another layer to the move's application, which is discussed next.
    This is a double-edged sword. People can and will [2][P] the double crush after blocking the P+K, but they may also duck and punish it instead. The obvious solution to people who 2P you out of the double crush is to simply stop the string after the first hit. This is a situation where the backdash options above really come in handy. You can score some great damage with a backdash scoop kick ([1][K][+][G]), or you can go for a knee if you're feeling gutsy and the spacing is good. What about the people who duck and wait for the second hit to whiff? Your natural inclination might be a strong mid, but remember that this is where you can bust out those low grabs! Establish that you can and will delay the double crush, and it will make them wait for that little bit of extra time you will need for the low grab to come out. If that's not working for you, hey, they're just sitting around giving up their advantage while they wait for you to whiff, so you can be creative with your options.
    If you throw out a [P][+][K] and see a successful evade by your opponent, the threat of a double crush will often discourage them from taking action. A slightly delayed double crush will track if they press a button. Your mileage may vary with this technique as the string remains linear if the opponent doesn't press anything, and too much delay means you could be counter hit by whatever they throw out. Using it every time is a sure way to open yourself up, but it is useful for discouraging an enemy.
    This one is nasty. The enemy knows that whiff punishing can lead to pretty big damage in VF, so a lot of people will start stepping around waiting for you to miss with a move before they commit to attacking. The long delay you are allowed with the double crush will let you to catch people with it as they try and tag you during the recovery of your whiffed [P][+][K]. Try whiffing the first part intentionally, and then tagging on the second after a short delay. This could result in a counter hit with a hit throw, and people getting very pissed off at you.

I feel that this string is very strong. After applying it at the last few meetups we do in NYC, I found that the above tactics can get a lot of mileage with Jeffry. The whiff punishing and backdashing can force your opponent to slow his or her game down, and the string's damage really does add up. Try mixing this move into your game in neutral situations as a poke, as well as when you are at small to moderate advantage. Jeff gets blown up by sidesteps more than other characters, so having a move where you might deter opponents who evade means a lot.
    Thanks for reading!