1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Q & A with LA Akira

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Dec 28, 2012.

By akai on Dec 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    As part of an interview series with members of the community, I had a short chat with Gerald Abraham (LA Akira). For those unaware, the “Reignite Your Inner Fighter” trailers before VF5FS was released on consoles were made by LA Akira’s company Industry VFX. He also helped organize and run the VF5FS portion of Wednesday Night Fights (WNF), a local weekly fighting games tournament for the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area. On December 13th, I asked LA Akira a variety of questions mostly pertaining to VF5FS at WNF, community support, and the upcoming SoCal Regionals on January 18th, 2013.

slide.jpg
    Modified photo originally taken by Ninjimbo/SamtheSeed

Akai (AK): So to start things off, WNF. The weekly VF events in SoCal had been going on since the launch of VF5FS onto consoles. What were the highs and lows of these events for you?
    LA Akira (LA): Well, things started off pretty well. For the first two months, we had between 25-30 people entering every week. A bunch of the resident Tekken players were interested in learning some VF and competed weekly in the events, which was great. That would be one of the highs, I guess :).
    As for the lows, for one reason or another, the numbers kept dropping to the point where it was just Plague​
    and myself going to the event. Due to traffic, it generally takes me about an hour and a half to get to WNF from where I live. When there were a lot of new players showing up, the drive was worth it despite how busy I was with work. It was always exciting to see players improve from week to week. By the look of things early on, I felt VF could stick around at WNF for quite some time and I was happy about that.

AK: So currently there is no VF5FS at WNF until further notice? Were you the main person running the VF5FS portion? Anyone help?
    LA: Yes, that is correct. At this moment, there is no VF at WNF. I've been close friends with Mike Watson (who owns Super Arcade) since '92 and Alex Valle (who founded LevelUp) since '96. Around April or May 2012, I talked to them about getting VF to WNF when it was released. Mike basically told me, "You can host VF here at WNF as long as you can get a few people showing up." So once FS was released and things started, Plague, Brisal and I ran the tournaments.
    (Editor Note: You can read Mike Watson’s thoughts about the decline of VF5FS support in a twitlonger tweet made on December 7th)

AK: From my outside point of view, Brisal set up the stream, Plague did the commentary, and you ran the brackets?
    LA: Yeah, that was generally how it went. I ran the brackets, set up the machines, etc. Earlier on, I also did commentary.

AK: So it was disappointing to see turnout dropped significantly and reminds me how much the community needs to remain proactive. Do you think weekly events are still feasible or do you think that burnt out the people that played VF?
    LA: Well, for the time I did go to WNF, I saw the numbers for SFAE and TTT2 drop slightly but the core players would show up every week. I don't see that core crew burning out and not showing up for those games. So I don't consider it a valid argument. Perhaps a few more people would show up if it was bi-weekly or monthly events, but I'm going to need to see a bit of interest first before committing to a regularly scheduled event again.

AK: This appears to be something that is happening not just in SoCal but in other regions. Do you feel those that consider themselves the VF core lack the commitments as other fighting game core players?
    LA: In my opinion, with some obvious exceptions, I feel that the younger generation of players lacks the desire to be as good as they can or are content with just being mediocre at something. Back in the early 90s when I played SF2, there were a very large number of players with killer instinct and a strong desire to be the best. Beating that type of person just fueled their desire to learn more about the game and improve. That fire is one of the key components that kept scenes alive. Not tooting anyone’s horn here, but VF needs more players like GentlemanThief and Johoseph.

AK: Can you think of any way to help build or nurture that fire?
    LA: Well it's tough because who you are inside really plays a big part in it. If you look at everyone in the US who is consider top players, almost all of them have one thing in common—an ego about their ability. Some people might read this and think, “OH MY GAWD,” but it's true. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The ego is what keeps that fire burning for all those players whether they are outspoken about it or not. And don't read this as having an ego means you have to be a jerk. Nice people can have egos too ;).

AK: Of course :D. So with how things have turned out, what are your expectations with the overall VF community and your local scene?
    LA: Well, even if we don't have weekly events, it is ok with me. However, it would be great if people here at least had the desire to play some VF at events from time to time. I mean, what was the point of begging for Final Showdown to come home if some of you guys aren't gonna play it :p?

AK: So the next event for you is SoCal Regionals in January?
    LA: Yes.

AK: Do you know who has already committed to going? Any specific VF players to look out for in SoCal? I think the top 3 at WNF generally were you, DRE, and GoatCheeseBlues.
    LA: Well other than myself, I know that Plague, Brisal, DRE and Goat Cheese will be there. I know some out-of-towners from San Diego and NorCal will also be showing up to the event. Phoenix Death was one of my training partners early on in FS and is pretty legit. I would recommend watching out for him if he shows up.

AK: Phoenix still plays Lei?
    LA: Phoenix plays Lei, Jean and Taka in FS. Miles is also an up and coming player that beat me at one of the WNF tourneys and claimed the Rising Star Player award five times. I would say he's probably the most talented new player in Los Angeles. Hopefully he and Phil S. both show up.
    (Editor Note: The Rising Star Player award was an initiative of LA Akira to reward new players at WNF)

AK: Miles is also a Lei player, Phil S. plays...?
    LA: Phil S. plays Jean.

AK: So I think I asked most of the questions I wanted to...I will end it with it a couple of questions.
    LA: Great!

AK: What do you like and dislike about Final Showdown?
    LA: My favorite part about FS is the three-choice throw system and yutori (the easy throw escape). The three-choice system makes it easier for new players and at the same time opens up another aspect of mind games for the more advanced player. There isn't anything I really dislike about the game. I guess since I started with cutthroat games like SF2 vanilla and VF2, some of the things that people consider bad in this game really just don't bother me so much.

AK: Any last comment you want to make?
    LA: I just really think that people here need to remain active in their community if they want to see it stay alive. Don't just always expect it to be alive. It's the community as a whole that keeps games like VF alive.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Tricky
      Tricky
      Time to develop more killer instinct!
      Tocuh likes this.
    2. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      After this i kinda stop reading with no disrespect to the players... What VF need is People to stop being scared to get blown up bottom line..Everybody is always talking VF but ain't nobody playing... I'm not even gonna say anymore shit ain't even worth it... I seen the ceiling to this game and not matter how far people think it goes........it's capped. This fucking game is finished people just need to admit it and stop lying to themselves... I stay casual because anything after that is a letdown...
      mlp715 and phanatik like this.
    3. IcKY99
      IcKY99
      So can LA setup WNF on Jan 2nd? haha
    4. SPINMASTER X
      SPINMASTER X
      LA ain't lying about the younger generation these days. I often run into the problem of people just being content with mediocrity and not necessarily just mediocrity they just are content with how things are as is regardless of their skill level. They only play in their group of friends and never venture out(aside from online gaming). Back in the early 90s when all of this began I remember people couldn't handle hearing about another good player in the area. The moment that they knew of another good player they sought them out to take them out like it was some kind of hit or something LOL. These days I find that people just don't care to play other good players face to face.

IMO Online gaming and the small amount of arcades in America is responsible for the motivation levels of the younger generation. Everything is so accessible to them. Back in the early 90s a match costed money, you couldn't just pull the plug and quit unless you were rich or something. Paying that money made you do whatever it took to win that match. Online gaming has allowed a gamer to pull the plug and leave if things aren't going their way. Of course this isn't all of the younger generation but a good portion. Some of the older gamers have become this way as well.
      _Denkai_ likes this.
    5. Shidosha
      Shidosha
      I agree with you, but i'm going to kind of merge those two thoughts to try and make a point:

I had this talk with Cruz, shag & kungfu smurf last night: Alot of people complain about how dumbed down this game is, etc. But alot of players (especially the newcomers) have this elitist mindstate about the complexity (or lack thereof) when they haven't even reached the maximum potential with their character or the system. And it's gotten to the point where people would rather blame the structure of the game rather than their own skill and that is what's hurting the community. (so i guess you could say I agree with LA as well)

I'll admit, this game is easier. I'm also not going to pretend that i don't get hit with silly/stupid stuff - you do too SDS i've seen it, but it seems like the difference between seasoned players and newcomers is that the seasoned players will find a method around, or a way to exploit that trick better than the opponent (i.e. wall soft stagger > free combos) where as the new guys will send me sob stories about how i have no life and the game is broken...

We need more of the former if this community is going to get anywhere...
    6. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      No doubt shidosha...Im still learning but Without our Ego's we WOULD'NT HAVE FOUND A WAY AROUND IT. See i guess most people from the west coast don't have ego's if Rip is landing somersault's without being punished. Don't get me wrong i like this game a lot but what good is if if people hit a ceiling in VF5 vanilla where they felt the wanted to challenge people but when FS drop and everybody is back to one the game is bullshit all of a sudden? Thats that bullshit right there. Im always sitting in player's match waiting for somebody cuase i need my fix but shit is bad when people claim they want to learn but is not playing.
      .. I love to see a active community in VF but no one has a elitist attitude here.. we only have a attitude with the Noobs who start complaining trying to learn advanced shit and don't know the basics. you have to lose before you get better take your loses and learn from them. At the end of the day We all We got...
    7. Shidosha
      Shidosha
      truthfully u didnt have to say anymore than that.

In the west's defense tho, I don't feel they have the same amount of pressure as the east. (West Coast feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here) - Out in the west their goal is to gather interest and maybe build slowly but gradually so nobody gets left behind or left feeling overwhelmed, while out east we just want to fuck japan up. Call it far fetched or impossible or whatever, it's our motivation out here to grind and study. I am proud to say that i feel like nobody out east except the newcoming trolls are willing to sit around and be complacent with their current level (now if only the east would show up to more tournaments).

Now with that said I am in no way discrediting LA's efforts whatsoever. Actually it was LA that inspired me to keep playing the game ( when he gave me that VF5:R card that i still have) - I know he's a man that will grind it out just like the rest of us, and i won't lie, although I feel like it was kind of fucked up - I'm glad unicorn made that video to put him and the players out there on notice.

Unfortunately tho I felt like that had a backlash due to ego and kind of made ppl shy away from wanting to play
    8. akai
      akai
      I think some are missing an important point: what are YOU doing to keep an active community? Blaming others for a lack of conviction, and calling yourself a casual, does not excuse yourself either. We all play a role in some form or another to what the community is that it is.
      BlueLink, EastBayKage and Genesis like this.
    9. SDS_Overfiend1
      SDS_Overfiend1
      You right Shidosha.. I will always give L.A. credit for that. Its a shame the people did'nt want to take that 50 bucks from him. If that is not incentive then what is...
    10. Shidosha
      Shidosha
      @ Akai: but what about those of us that lay out a blueprint that nobody wants to read? Okay, yea i can go to every event (or even host em) in america but I don't have the time/money for that. The easiest method for contribution is to share what I've learned online while I train. And with that said, LA has striven to keep an active community for months and with all his efforts it STILL dwindled - I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's a two way street
      blk_brotha likes this.
    11. akai
      akai
      Absolutely agree.
    12. L_A
      L_A
      Thanks for all the comments and debate, guys. Just wanted to clear up the ego comment for those who might not have understood the meaning clearly. I just basically feel its a necessary component to becoming the best you can be and generally brings up the all around play level. As for people in the US thinking they've reached their maximum potential with their characters, my advice is to come to japan and see how much more you can do with the game. :)
      SPINMASTER X likes this.
    13. Tricky
      Tricky
      knowing that I still have a ton of potential to unlock in eileen is what keeps me in the dojo.
      R_Panda likes this.
    14. nejisama09
      nejisama09
      heads up miles and me will be at socal reg. sorry for not being at wnf as much, started work as an emt so busy. hype for socal regionals!!!
    15. L_A
      L_A
      Great! Hope to see both of you there. I take it this is Phil S?
    16. nejisama09
      nejisama09
      yup!
    17. SNAKE BOSS
      SNAKE BOSS
      Yea and also dont push anyone out when they try to join vf and this site especially when they have changed their ways for the better.
    18. SkullNBones
      SkullNBones
      I live outside the U.S., I can not go to tournaments, and I'm in my country, of the few who play vf, all I can do to support the community, is to play online, and my big fear is that, every day I see less players online.
      thanks LA Akira for keeping the dream alive.
      Tocuh likes this.
    19. Feck
      Feck
      SDS I see some of your points but what's all that shit about n00bs and we've all seen the cap to this game?

If it wasn't for the newer players WNF's would have been dead out of the gate.

I look back at all our posts from around VF5:R's arcade release and all I see is vets going "wahhhhh, SEGA why you no support us? Give us the game and we'll support it, we'll attend all them tournies honest!"

Out of all those posts (There's hundreds of them) I read i'd say about 2% kept their promise, none of us vets here have seen the cap to this game because no one has made the effort to play it.

LA is a nice guy and he's made a lot of effort for this game and the community, if I were in his shoes i'd be mad bitter.
      nou, Tricky and Shidosha like this.