1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Hart's Favourite Fighting Game of All Time?

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Mar 24, 2014.

By Myke on Mar 24, 2014 at 2:41 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Eventhubs recently published an interview with Ryan Hart and covers topics ranging from on SFIV Ultra, his tournament mindset and his favourite fighting game series and title of all time. You'd never guess which series it is, and by never I mean you'd totally guess it! Ryan also shares how he first got started out in the arcades. An interesting interview with a talented fighting gamer!
    Thanks to Unicorn and G0d3L for the news tip!
    ryan-hart.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Mar 24, 2014.

1. SUGATA
      SUGATA
      I think to make Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned ONLINE (or Evolution) on consoles would be the great idea!
      Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
      Coroo, Sozos, Shinobi and 1 other person like this.
    2. MAtteoJHDY
      MAtteoJHDY
      I always amazes me that Ryan can win so consistently without doing anything really spectacular. I saw him at Sega Cup, doing the usual P throw/P mid and somehow winning all the time.

PS: not to mention he speaks fluent Japanese...envy...
      Shinobi likes this.
    3. Pai~Chun
      Pai~Chun
      The original veteran, SF, VF, KoF, Tekken, all the way back to 1994! Great to see him in action recently at the Evil Cammy unveiling, performing confidently at the top international level. Always a very snazzy dresser as well :cool: Seems to be a real Kage fan as well, not switching even when that char isn't as dominating as during previous versions. The mark of a true warrior! :ninja:
      Shinobi and IcKY99 like this.
    4. Tha_FeauchA
      Tha_FeauchA
      Awesome. I like when top players throw the VF name in the mix. Especially when they regard it as their favorite series.

Hopefully, if/when VF6 comes out, they go back some on the "dumbing down" they did to the game on FS and try to fix the hit tracking. Although I've only been playing since VF5 vanilla, so I can't speak on how VF4 used to be.. Even still though, of the current fighters, FS is still the best!
      Lord_Hollow likes this.
    5. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR
      Ryan Hart and I kinda had a long talk about VF4 and FS at Final Round. He really dislikes the new throw break system (especially the fact that you can hold throw escape, rather than time it), and he doesn't like how easy it is to get big damage off of random stuff (I don't think he had a problem about high damage itself though). We pretty much called FS the 'SF4 of VF', where they made all these changes that eliminated the fun technical aspects of VF just for the sake of newcomers -- he said that they sacrificed the gameplay for newcomers that ironically didnt bother to stay on the VF bandwagon after a few months anyway, lol.

He still finds the new VF fun but he didn't seem enthusiastic about maining FS at all though (hence why he didn't train much in it or bother going to SC America, I assume). He did sing the praises of the VF4 series though, for all the reasons listed in this article.

I really like FS, but I also agree with Ryan about both games too. Hopefully VF6 will merge aspects of the two into a great package (not to mention fix the stupid tracking). Great article btw......linked it on my twitter.
      Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
      Lord_Hollow, phanatik, Tricky and 3 others like this.
    6. TheKillingJoke
      TheKillingJoke
      Very good read. I feel the same way about vf. I did play VF4 but I didn't start playing VF seriously till VF5 vanilla but there's even a noticeable difference between vanilla and FS. I hope VF6 similar VF4 or VF5 vanilla. IMO FS is as close as SEGA is going to get without changing it up too much. I do want the series to get to get more recognition but like BLACKSTAR said the newcomers don't stay long and just go on to the next big game. That kind of bugs me about a lot of series that decide to go mainstream. Why even appeal to people who never appreciated your product for what is was in the first place .Especially if they're not going to stay long.
    7. BlackGeneral
      BlackGeneral
      ^THIS. Someone tweet this out to Sega!
      phanatik likes this.
    8. Manjimaru
      Manjimaru
      I wonder how many times have we had the "VF is Ryan Hart's favorite fighting game" piece of news here at VFDC over the years? I think at least three times.. :)
    9. Myke
      Myke
      Even so, with numerous other FG titles that have since been released, isn't it nice to know that his opinion hasn't changed? ;)
    10. Berzerk
      Berzerk
      Its great that he still gives his answer as VF being his favourite series.
      I wish there was more push from top players to feature or showcase the game at other tournaments. People like Ryan have a lot of pull.
      I'm not saying he alone would get a crowd to play VF at an event that doesn't normally run it (but maybe) - however I'd like to see more proactive advocacy. I thought it was a shame at last year's recent PAX and TGS Madcatz showcases, for example, they had Fuudo and Ryan there but didn't think to showcase a VF set.
      Yet they were happy to put on Soul Calibur just for Kayane (and why not DOA in that case!)
      So yeah its great that he acknowledges the game in interviews, I just don't know if this will ever translate to benefit real awareness or promotion of the game itself.
    11. Optimus_Cack
      Optimus_Cack
      wow, you're a pig
    12. MAtteoJHDY
      MAtteoJHDY
      Kayane: Kasumi - ayane, it's a Nickname she choose for herself because she likes doa a lot. Calm down your faux feminist outrage already...
    13. masterpo
      masterpo
      He used to make his own flow charts, without access to frame data back in the day. Good stuff!
    14. Shoju
      Shoju
      I agree with a lot of what he said about the VF series. VF4Evo is also my favourite in the series and VF5FS the least favourite. FS is a bit of a disappointment. I would much rather have been left with VF5R.
      MDSPrime, Kamais_Ookin and masterpo like this.
    15. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      Reaction throw escapes.........too much to deal with. You only have a 33% chance of guessing right anyway. Why make it harder? Im guessing this was where MTE came in( I wouldn't know well because i wasnt advanced in VF4 n vanilla)
      You threw out a bunch TE command b4 they threw you,so you could buffer the timing.
      The only thing i miss was the excessive mid staggers. You would get blown up for using lows and it made the knockdowns easier to use. Now we have this crouching 2choice nonsense.

Like Blackstar said, if we could a game that has ALL techs from VF4 to FS but also get 3 new characters (perferably wing chun, coiperera,and Taekwondo) add a new tech, add new moves, bring back old moves, good soundtrack etc, then we'll have our selves possibly the ultimate VF game.
    16. Myke
      Myke
      Sorry, but there's no reaction skill required to deal with throw escapes, and there's no specific timing either. Throw Escapes weren't made harder, they were made easier. The skill requirement shifted away from manual dexterity, and toward being able to read your opponent.

Read about the Guarding Throw Escape technique in the wiki if you need a refresher.
      Lygophilia likes this.
    17. Berzerk
      Berzerk
      Why would you say that? She is a DOA player. Her name, Kayane, comes from Kasumi + Ayane.
      Therefore, it would also be a valid choice to have played in Japan for that showcase, just like VF would have been for Ryan Hart and Fuudo, who also play VF.
    18. Zekiel
      Zekiel
      i was def talking bout VF4 and vanilla. not FS. ik the system