1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SEGA Exits Console Video Game Market

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Feb 27, 2015.

By Myke on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:15 PM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    From Japan Today article Fans mourn Sega's exit from console video game market, news that "Sega Sammy Holdings, the parent company that now controls one-time video gaming pioneer Sega, is looking to seriously overhaul its structure and business operations, [...] but one of the first steps seems to be Sega ditching the console video game business to focus on what it considers the areas of biggest growth, mobile and online PC games." What this means for the arcade business and for the home VFer, remains to be seen.

SEGA-logo.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Kamais_Ookin
      Kamais_Ookin
      I'm more than happy with a PC release of a future VF game.
      ShinobiFist, Ellis, EvenPit and 2 others like this.
    2. ToyDingo
      ToyDingo
      Breaks my damn heart to read this.

Sega is sitting on so many awesome IPs, yet instead of using any of them they want to pump out tons of mediocre Sonic games.

I'd hate to say it, but they deserved this. Breaks my damn heart though...
      D.R.F., jimi Claymore, Enishi and 3 others like this.
    3. DigitlSamurai
      DigitlSamurai
      Unfortunately there won't be one. :cry:
      celsowm, IcKY99 and L_A like this.
    4. VFhayato
      VFhayato
      Thank you! PC! Please!
    5. VFhayato
      VFhayato
      I'm all for the PC games of VF. PC needs to get some love as well. It's been some time that PC gets great games!! and steam is the way to go! I think because digital downloads on PC is much faster then xbox one and ps4! xbox one has a capped download speed on getting games and you is really not downloading at full speed.

It's time to see the sexy in VF! lets all save our pennies for a great gaming PC! or buy one at my store! lets go!
      Plague likes this.
    6. hseiken1
      hseiken1
      In the future, consoles are unnecessary. They kind of already are. Whether you see this as Sega dying or not, expect to see the next gen consoles not even be consoles or they stay consoles and everyone ditches 'em anyway.
      Ellis likes this.
    7. nou
      nou

Outside of Japan (arguably Asia) Sega's games don't do well. Their games are great, not doubt, but they don't sit well with the West for one reason or another. Shitty Sonic games and pedo games like Miku have their niche here though, so for Sega it makes sense to make shit games that pander to the West, since those are the only ones that sell.

Sonic Lost World on the Wii U is pretty awesome. From the sound of it, it's Sonic Team's last game on console as well.

It'd be cool if VF6 drops on the PC. It'll come if it comes, in the meantime there's great games to enjoy in it's absence.

Between the twins, it sounds like the PC is going to pull ahead seeing as how games are dropping on one console + pc, instead of PS4, Xbone and PC. Makes sense for a Japanese company seeing as handhelds and phones are the way to go, with the Xbone being a non-factor and the PS4 tanking.
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    8. AngryFlyingChop
      AngryFlyingChop
      Sega was publishing some cool stuff and I'm gonna miss that. Things like Alien Isolation, Resonance of Fate, Vanquish, Yakuza series. Probably never getting Yakuza 0 now, too.
    9. ToyDingo
      ToyDingo
      I disagree.

Sure certain japanese themed games didn't resonate well with the Western audience. That's to be expected. Sega did have some very kooky games in their day. Yet, I don't believe that was their reason for failure.

The failed due to poor business choices (terrible sonic games out-sourced to 3rd party devs), apathy towards their western fans (how long have westerners been begging for PSO2, Yakuza, etc), lack of communication that they are even listening to their fans (have you visited their forums?), and amnesia over what made them so awesome in the 90's and early 2000's.

No one expected them to make another Shenmue. It was great, but far too expensive and didn't make the money they wanted. Yet, they are sitting on a treasure chest of great IPs. Why not let a small studio use the Panzer Dragoon IP and make a low budget "indie" game with it? Or let someone play around with the Burning Rangers franchise? Or let the guys who did Dragon's Crown use the Golden Axe name to reboot that series properly?

Lately, the only time Sega did something properly with a game, like publishing Alien: Isolation or the Total War series, they'd screw it up with another Sonic turd. And when they did put out a good Sonic game (Lost Worlds and Generations were fun), they'd almost immediately forgot about that game and trash their own mascot again. The Sonic Boom franchise needs to die a slow, horrible, disgusting death...

Sega had options, but they were very stubborn for some reason. I'm just a consumer, I don't know what they speak about in their board room meetings. Yet, it just boggles my mind that a company that's screwed up so much over the past decade still has such a loyal fanbase, yet can't capitalize on it.

:( rant over :(
    10. nou
      nou
      Well most (if not all) of the bad business decisions are down to SoJ. They had a staunch refusal of working with the west. Their lack of marketing didn't help, but even when they did market stuff it didn't sell. They can't win. Again the U.S.

3 or 4 Yakuza games on the PS3 in the U.S. Didn't sell. They published 5 Platinum games. Nada. Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers? Outside of a dedicated fan base, nobody has heard of them. Sega in the West is still recognized as Sonic, Genesis, Dreamcast(with the hipsters sadly) and bad business decisions(SoJ should be getting blamed for this one).

You could make arguments about the handing them off to smaller developers, which in practice sounds cool, but who knows. Again, what's popular with enthusiasts isn't popular with the general consumer, on top of the gaming landscape in the U.S., and even then, Sega's titles are still divisive among enthusiasts.

Nintendo is going there as well, if not there by now, but history is kinder to their fuck ups and they have more sound business management, and even they are having a hard time on the gaming front. I love the Wii U, but that thing is STILL trailing behind the Dreamcast, lol.

Who knows, maaaaybe they'll release their legacy collections/games on PC? Those didn't sell well either though.
      EvenPit likes this.
    11. NBDanTE
      NBDanTE
      It will not last long like that, it will die or get absorbed. Please SEGA just release VF6 ASAP on consoles before you go Harakiri. Hope Shenmue 3 get released on PC ;)
    12. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR
      They don't advertise! Ever. Unless its Sonic! If you don't market your own games, how can they expect them to sell?

That's why they are idiots. But yeah, SEGA died like 10-12 years ago. That's when most of their talent left. This 'SEGA' now is merely a zombie only similar with name, controlled by Yakuza pachinko guys. This is sad but not surprising.
    13. FuryofFrog
      FuryofFrog
      What I wanna know is what happens to Atlus now as Sega Sammy owns them..........I would be sincerely pissed if there were no more console Megaten games.
    14. Modelah
      Modelah
      Hey, maybe this means we'll get VF6 PACHINKO! You the man, SEGA! (y)

No wait... Japan will get VF6 PACHINKO! Suck it, RestoftheWorld! :cry:

Just so you know what awesomeness is in store, check out this vid of TEKKEN PACHINKO, suckers! You the man too, Namco! (y)

Ellis likes this.
    15. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR
      I also forgot to mention that SEGA has and always had (since the Saturn days) suffered from nationalistic mentality. The stereotypical problem of Japanese companies that's been known and seen time and again by various jp companies is this: "Japan comes first, everywhere else is bonus". SEGA is the epitome of that type of company, and things haven't changed much since the mid 90's.

SEGA only really cares and caters toward Japan. Which is quite ironic, since SEGA (an acronym for "Service Games") was first founded as post-WW2 American company in Japan by Americans; as well as the facts that the reason that SEGA became big in the first place was because of the US, Europe and the rest of the world (Brazil is a great example) buying their titles and systems (they always had a hard time selling non-arcade products to Japanese). If you think about it, SEGA was always at its best when it catered to, or at least worked hard to include, western audiences. Sonic always was big in the west, not so much in Japan. I mean c'mon, look at him. He's red, white, and blue (that was no accident).

But ever since the 32x days, SEGA has always had a long and storied history of ignoring the very customer base that made them a real player to begin with (the West) and focused on Japan, to relatively mediocre results. They even ignored and stripped SEGA of America of their power and influence several times in the past: whether its blowing off the 32-bit gen hardware proposals (on TWO occasions) of the mid 90's SoA President Tom Kalinske, in which that very same technology would end up creating the PS1 and N64 (the systems that ended up killing SEGA as a hardware manufacturer, before PS2 put the final nail in the coffin), or more recently, Sega of Japan turning SoA basically into a warehouse and digital-only distributor.

As a result, they successfully alienated their own source of funding (western audiences) in favor of reaching an audience they were never really built for reaching (japanese audiences). The console video game industry is currently the BIGGEST its EVER been in history -- why can't SEGA make money in it? Why are they distancing themselves from consoles now? Because in Japan, consoles are on the decline; Japan now is all about cell phone games. See the reason for the restructure now? Which makes no sense, since Japan represents around 10% of the gaming market now (rather than 50% during the early and mid 2000's)

Their only big successes in Japan really were 80's and early 90's arcade games, the Virtua Fighter series, the Yakuza series, Initial D, and mech games like Border Break and probably Virtua On. Other than that, of all of their titles released throughout the years, that's really it for their huge breakout jp games. And had they actually invested in themselves by marketing toward western audiences for those very same games, SEGA would have made even more money.

But yeah, being a SEGA fan, especially in the west, is like watching a loved one suffering through a terminal illness.
    16. IcKY99
      IcKY99
      All this means is Sega is gonna stop vomiting money on console game development and stop attempting to make big budget Triple A quality titles that FLOP such as Alpha Protocol and Sonic Boom.

Gonna focus on F2P pc games like they have with Spiral Knights on steam , and cell phone games, they just came out with a Sonic runner game for jp iOS
      Ellis likes this.
    17. YOMI
      YOMI
      I think the worst news here is that Sega's brilliant marketing team will now be laid off, which means they'll be open in the market for other companies to hire, which means some day they will be heading marketing for some other company's top game franchises and kill the company off too.
      Birthua likes this.
    18. VFhayato
      VFhayato
      Birthua likes this.
    19. Devdan
      Devdan
      Ug. I have never in my life owned a PC that played any video game as well as any console. I feel like I live in a different world from PC gamers entirely. There probably won't be a VF6 anyway though, so no big deal?

I hope we still get Yakuza 0 somehow. Seems like an odd way to end the franchise, but a fitting way to end Sega. Late 80's forever!