1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

SEGA Exits Console Video Game Market

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Feb 27, 2015.

By Myke on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:15 PM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    From Japan Today article Fans mourn Sega's exit from console video game market, news that "Sega Sammy Holdings, the parent company that now controls one-time video gaming pioneer Sega, is looking to seriously overhaul its structure and business operations, [...] but one of the first steps seems to be Sega ditching the console video game business to focus on what it considers the areas of biggest growth, mobile and online PC games." What this means for the arcade business and for the home VFer, remains to be seen.

SEGA-logo.jpg

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Feb 27, 2015.

1. celsowm
    2. nou
      nou
      Marketing is true but seeing as how the marketing budgets alone are getting ridiculous it's a an uphill battle for a lot of companies to get a foot hold now, that don't rely on MS, EA, Ubi, etc. I agree that marketing does help, but these companies are really risk adverse, especially Japanese ones.

Ancedotal, but a lot of people I've heard talking about games (at work, the bar, house 'gatherings') aren't into a lot of Japanese games these days and prefer the approach of the West. Being immersed through mechanics instead of story and character is still weird to people, and has been since the 16-bit days, and is a notion that still goes strong in the West. I had some co-workers surprised I didn't care for Uncharted, but when I told them about Vanquish it was 1) that's insane 2) why have I never heard of this game.

It is what it is and old companies die and are replaced by new ones. Another company that got hit was Capcom, but we got Platinum in return which is a nice surprise from left field. Same with Treasure and Cave alumni going to M2.

Right now the twins have the worst parts of PC gaming in a closed box, which makes it fine for me. I know tinkering isn't a lot of people's tea, though.
      Birthua likes this.
    3. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR
      somebody shoulda told SEGA:

[​IMG]
      Shinobi and Ellis like this.
    4. AngryFlyingChop
      AngryFlyingChop
      I'm still glad that Yakuza 5 is coming here, but thinking what they were about to do (as a result of Dead Souls not selling well) still makes me mad. It was a niche series zombie game attempt to cater to what they thought westerners wanted (a game with zombies in it). But that was RIGHT ABOUT at the saturation point of zombie games. I don't even think Dead Souls sold well in JAPAN. But nope, they were about to let that game be the death of Yakuza in the West. Almost makes me as mad as the RUMOR that they've halted plans on Skies of Arcadia HD and Shenmue HD cause NiGHTS HD didn't sell well. Jeeesus, Sega.
    5. Tha_FeauchA
      Tha_FeauchA
      Who the fuck is liking this topic?? Hahahah. I'm just clownin.

But ay. That sucks to hear/see. While advertising for FS may not have been huge in whatever way. I think it had a decent amount. They had Sega Cup, L.A. Akira did a video thing with those two dudes (James Chen I think and whoever else) along with some other stuff. I don't think there was anyone involved in most of the FGC that didn't know FS was coming out. VF is just not well received in the states. An analogy I saw about technical fighting games (kof and whatever) went like "These games are like soccer. In the states, they're not popular. But around the world they recieve more love". Something like that. Which is sad because when fg's like marvel and sf4 are the most popular competitive fg's, we're only getting closer to mario kart being the most competitive racer. That's just my opinion though.

On the other hand. What if FS sold really well? What kind of message would that send? FS is the most dumbed down version of VF that has been made. If that sold very well, what would the next VF been like? I tend to think they had the west in mind when making FS because of the throw system, being able to bound/splat someone 3-4 times in a single combo and that the characters float and re-float super high, resulting in longer combos.. When Akira can hit you 4-5 more times after a 46+P in the middle of the ring, something is wrong, lol.

Also, a shame VF somehow has a reputation for being hard. I just think so many people are used to having invincible moves, being able to trap people, being able to give constant pressure and having guarunteed set ups after knock downs, among other things, that going blow for blow with another player till someone gets launched/floated/crumpled (and whatever else with or without a counter hit) would probably seem hard to them..

I don't play to lose, but I couldn't care less how good/bad I am or how good someone is or thinks they are (though I still love me some high level matches as much as the next VF player). I just enjoy playing people in this because it's a really good fighting game (even FS). And if I have to buy/build a gaming PC (which would suck) to play VF6, then so be it. I just hope VF6 comes through with a vengeance.

*drops mic*
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    6. nou
      nou
      It wasn't just Dead Souls that sold low numbers. It's EVERY Yakuza/RGG game brought to the U.S. that sold low numbers.

It's not like they stopped making games either, they'll just be on two formats instead of 4 or 5 now.
    7. Dhezz
      Dhezz
      This article is inaccurate. Sega is not "exiting" the console market. It is shifting emphasis away from it.

They just announced that they're releasing Yakuza 5 and Dengeki Bunko Fighting climax here this summer, and Yakuza (Ryu ga Gotoku) is a huge Playstation-centric franchise for them in Japan, which I can't see them abandoning. It's not like they're just going to throw away their PS4 dev kits one night.
    8. DurViener
      DurViener
      If there was any justice in this world, AP would have gotten a sequel. Such an underrated game.
    9. Wingman
      Wingman
      Sad news. We all have love for Sega.

I wish them the best in their future endeavours :p
      Birthua likes this.
    10. ThisIsIt
      ThisIsIt
      For anyone doubting Vitrua Fighter 6, I still think the Arcade game development staff is safe. The last year, they released two high-end products, The World of Three Kingdoms and Wonderland Wars, so they are not giving up on actual games for the arcade, and not just cheap stuff.
      Ellis, Kruza and BLACKSTAR like this.
    11. Daydream
      Daydream
      Maybe VF6 will be "pachinko only". I could have sworn I saw someone post a video of a VF5 pachinko machine somewhere on VFDC, cant' find it now though.
    12. BLACKSTAR
      BLACKSTAR

GrizzlyTrollton and Shinobi like this.
    13. Shinobi
      Shinobi
      So, how come SEGA exits console games market, and the same time they intent to release games like Yakuza 5, Yakuza 0, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax and Persona 5, for consoles this year?

It reminds me the time when SEGA made the transition from hardware maker to third party software maker. Many people thought believed that SEGA died. But they didn't...

Media outlets should write news based on facts, and not on assumptions.
    14. suminsoserious
    15. Stl_Tim
      Stl_Tim
      Sega is like an old girlfriend that is first and foremost a deluded bitch that you want to leave, because the way she treats you time and time again so badly. However, the pussy is so good that you keep making excuses to stay.

Smh..

Not just welcome to the next level...
      Just, I wish capcom/namco had juicy vaginas.
      Kruza and ToyDingo like this.
    16. MarlyJay
      MarlyJay
      So what is FS then? A mild STD that you're willing to accept because the poom still better than other girls? Ffs. :D
      Manjimaru and Kruza like this.
    17. Konradinho
      Konradinho
      Well thats some sad news... It's weird cause I'm pretty not surprised with these kind of info. I thought I will be blaming SEGA etc. But thats just ok. Still have big dose of respect for all the VF games they made.
    18. smbhax
      smbhax
      The Japan Today article is not news; at best it is just a reaction to the (actual) news everyone had already heard, about Sega shifting resources toward mobiles and PC. There has been *no* legitimate indication that Sega is "exiting" the console market; the title of the Japan Today article--not to mention the title of the VFDC front page post referring to it--is highly misleading. I was surprised to find it quoted as real news on the front page of this site, and even more surprised to find almost all the follow-up posts here taking it at face value as actual fact--which it is not.
    19. Myke
      Myke
      When finite resources are being reallocated from market A to focus on market B, then it's not a stretch to describe this move as an "exit" from market A. That's not to suggest that market A will never be serviced again, and so perhaps the word exit carries with it a connotation of finality that unsettles some people.

But the fact remains that this is more than just a temporary reallocation of resources. The restructuring has also resulted in downsizing of the business, which includes the closure of the San Francisco offices, whose employees had a particularly close relationship with the VFDC community, so it's quite sad to see them go.

Does all of this mean we'll never see another game released on console by SEGA in the foreseeable future? I'm not entirely convinced, but nor am I filled with hope.
    20. VF2011
      VF2011
      Sega makes great games, but their games are just too Japanese for today's market. I loved Binary Domain but that game has a certain Japanese feel to it that gamers don't want. If you compare any 3rd person shooters from Japanese developers to American developers you will notice the difference.

Their pc games are doing really well so they would never stop that, and mobile is easy to develop for with the possibility for a huge turnover.

I hate to say it but as bad as last gen was for game companies going under, this gen will be even worse. I don't think sega will go under because they have Sammy behind them which is huge, but I would be more worried about companies like capcom and konami.

Back in the day if you made a good game you got good sales, today its all about marketing budgets. And since Sega doesn't advertise they don't sell.