1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Shun Against the Wall

Discussion in 'Shun' started by Chill, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    Have been experimenting with some wall setups lately so I thought I'd share my observations. I've tried to pick info/combos which are representative of the majority of situations against a wall.

Wall splat moves

Attacks which cause a wall splat, providing a guaranteed combo situation.

[3]+[K]+[G] (Counter hit)

[6][6][K] (Counter hit)

[K]+[G] From Soukokukyu (Counter-hit)

Gyou'in attacks (Counter hit): [4][P] [P] or[4][6][P]([P][P]) [P] or From Choukarou [P] [P]

[2][3][6][P] (Counter hit, +6DP, does not work against Taka)

[1][P] (Counter hit, +7DP)

Wall stagger moves

Attacks which stagger the opponent, which does not guarantee a combo but provides a highly advantageous situation and can combo if the opponent does not break the stagger quickly enough. The below attacks will stagger on normal hit, but with the damage modifier other attacks (such as [4][P]) can also cause a stagger on counter hit.

[3][K]

[K]+[G]

[3][P][+][K]

[P] From Kasen Gyou'in (+7 DP)

[3][3][P] (+7 DP, normal hit only)

[2][K] From Soukokukyu (+7DP, normal hit only)

[1][K]+[G] (+7DP, normal hit only)

Combos from wall splat

The good thing about the wall splat combos is that they don't really vary by character weight, so [6][K] is a good, reliable combo starter from a splat on pretty much every character except Taka. [6][6][K] is used as an example wall splat move for these combos.

[6][6][K], (splat) [6][K], [K][P] (wall slump), [6][P][P] (84dmg)

[6][6][K], (splat) [9][K]+[G], [P]+[K]+[G], [K][P][K] (wall slump), [P]+[K]+[G], [2][K] (86 dmg)

[6][6][K], (splat) [6][K], [K][P] (wall slump), forward dash, [2][3][6][K][P][P] (93 dmg, +6 DP)

[6][6][K], (splat) [6][K], [K][P] (wall slump), [4][3]+[P]+[K], [P] (rebound) [3][K] (101 dmg, +8 DP)

Against Taka – It's harder to hit Taka into a wall splat in any consistent way – He'll fall into a slump or a splat depending on small changes in distance to the wall and orientation, consider it a function of his fatness.

If you do get a splat, use the[9][K]+[G], [P]+[K]+[G], [K][P][K](wall slump), [P]+[K]+[G], [2][K] combo which accommodates for his heft.

If he falls into a slump, use [P][P][4] [P] (or [P][P][4] [P][P] if +4DP) and either [4][3]+[P]+[K] or [3][K] if Taka rebounds off the wall.

Also note that Chouwan ([2][3][6][P]) does not splat on Taka like other characters but causes a falling-over-backwards animation. This can still lead into a wall for a touch more damage, for example [2][3][6][P], [P][P][4][P][P] (rebound), [4][3]+[P]+[K].

Combos from wall stagger

A well timed wall stagger can change the momentum of a match. Low attacks can be a good surprise, as in general play they don't lead to high damage combos. Shun's [K]+[G] also provides a chance to catch evades to Shun's back.

In a staggered state, [3][3][P] will cause a crumple which can be followed by a wall combo.[3][K] is used as an example wall stagger move for these combos.

Lightweights to Midweights:

[3][K], [3][3][P], [6][K], [K][P] (wall slump), [6][P][P] (95 dmg)

[3][K], [3][3][P], [6][K], [K][P] (wall slump), forward dash, [2][3][6][K][P][P] (105 dmg, +6 DP)

[3][K], [3][3][P], [6][K], [K][P] (wall slump), [4][3]+[P]+[K], [P] (rebound) [3][K] (114 dmg, +8 DP)

Heavyweights - For heavy weights the combos from [3][3][P] change (just as with normal heavyweight combos). You can also keep in mind that from 6+DP, you can use [6][6][K] instead of [3][3][P] which will cause a splat, meaning you can use the splat combos for higher damage. [6][6][K] is a slighter slower move however.

[3][K], [3][3][P], [2][P], [6_][P][P][4][P] (rebound), [4][3]+[P]+[K] (84 dmg)

[3][K], [3][3][P], [2][P], [6_][P][P][4][P][P] (rebound), [4][3]+[P]+[K] (92 dmg, +4DP)

Against Taka – [3][3][P] will still cause a crumple against Taka, but unlike other characters isn't necessarily the most damaging option. [6][6][K] provides more damage but is also a slower move. Chouwan ([2][3][6][P]) is both fast and provides high damage once +6DP is reached.

[3][K], [3][3][P], [P][P][4][P] (66dmg)

[3][K], [3][3][P], [6][K], [K][P] (83dmg, but must rebound off the wall, it's difficult to make this work consistently)

[3][K], [6][6][K], [P][P][4][P] (rebound), [4][3]+[P]+[K] (76 dmg)

[3][K], [6][6][K], [P][P][4][P][P] (rebound), [4][3]+[P]+[K] (83 dmg, +4DP)

[3][K], [3][3][P], [P][P][4][P][P] (77dmg, +4DP)

[3][K], [2][3][6][P], [P][P][4][P][P] (rebound) [4][3]+[P]+[K] (92 dmg)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Pai~Chun, Neonomide and Myke like this.
  2. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    Hey Chill,

These are some good setups, but I think there are ways to get more damage from a high bound. I don't actually know the damage numbers off-hand, so I can't compare to yours right now, but I remember seeing these combos in a Japanese combo vid a while back and I'm pretty sure they output higher damage, though I'd be happy to be corrected.

Also, for the sake of this thread I'm going to invent some new notation because I've never seen this standardized. I'm going to borrow from other FG conventions and improvise a little, so for the purposes of my writing:

W! = Wall Splat/High Wall Splat
    w! = Wall Slump/Low Wall Splat
    r! = Rebound from wall

The combos are structured something like...:

(any wall stagger) -> 66K (W!) -> K+G4 K+G (High Bound) -> 236KPP (w!) -> 43P+KP (r!) -> 3(P+K)

(any wall stagger) -> 66K (W!) -> 9K+G P+K+G -> Oushin KPK (w!) P+K+G -> Oushin 6P+K+G PP (r!) -> 3(P+K)

These were being performed on Aoi, so they may not work on heavier characters. Still, I can tell just by looking at the moves and numbers of bounds/hits involved that these combos will deal more damage (I think, like I said need to test for sure tonight when I get the chance).

3. Chill

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    Ahhh it's interesting that [K]+[G][4][K]+[G] rebounds, I would have thought it was too slow!

I did some testing and couldn't get your first combo to work however, basically [2][3][6][K][P][P] didn't produce a wall slump. I did manage to produce some higher damage combos using the rebound and Choukarou attacks. Getting the [6][K] to hit is tricky though, sometimes it's out of range. Seems easier in closed stance.

(from counter-hit)

[6][6][K], (splat) [K]+[G][4][K]+[G], (rebound) [6][K], [K][P], (slump) [6][P][P] (94 dmg)

[6][6][K], (splat) [K]+[G][4][K]+[G], (rebound) [6][K], [K][P], (slump) [2][3][6][K][P][P] (101 dmg)

[6][6][K], (splat) [K]+[G][4][K]+[G], (rebound) [6][K], [K][P], (slump) [4][3]+[P]+[K],[P] (108 dmg)

A couple of other little points I noted:

- [6][6][K] will only splat from a wall stagger at 6+DP. Below 6DP it will cause a slump only.
    - From Oushin, [K][P][K] will only cause a wall slump at 7+DP.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    Yeah I think the drink threshold is pretty high for the combos I mentioned. I'm pretty sure the first combo I listed only works at 21+ drinks, which is maybe a little impractical. Hadn't really paid much attention but there you go. Maybe as a finisher in round 5 :).

I spoke to Myke recently about trying to get some of the great info I've found in these Shun forums into the official combo section and Wiki, and he made me content manager so I can help out with the efforts to get that info in place (I didn't know if Shun already had one but apparently not). It might take me a few weeks to make a dent in everything because work keeps my schedule pretty busy, but I'd love to see how far we're able to push these wall combos at different drink levels so I can start including this info as well.

I'd also like to say thanks to both @Chill and @Neonomide for all of the effort you two have made in getting quality info into these forums in an organized fashion. I'm happy to help get that into the right places to make the site more complete, but you two have done a lot of heavy lifting in the Shun section, so if there's content for me to use to update the Shun Wiki and combo info, it's mostly because of your collective efforts in gathering and sharing as much as you have. I just want to make sure it's in the right sections and easy for new players to find if they're looking for it, because right now the Shun combo section of the site needs a serious overhaul, which is why I contacted Myke in the first place. Hopefully I can serve the community well :).

Chill, Neonomide and Pai~Chun like this.
  5. Chill

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    Ahh yeah, the damage modifier starts to change how a lot of moves work when at ridiculously high drinks.

Well hopefully the info has helped! The combo section definitely needs some filling out :)

A simple idea for the Shun wiki to help beginners: A list of all the moves which gain drinks.

6. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    There actually have been two CMs and the second was me. I couldn't wrap my head around the combos back then so I eventually left the job. I'm happy Shun has a fresh CM now!

I considered Shun's wall stuff less than others and left it out but this thread has been an eye opener. My old long combo posts had no wall combos or wall continuation ones, so these complement the previous lists perfectly.

Nice! I'll try to make my combo posts more comprehensible too (and finish the list in general), since we now actually have a chance to get the combo/wiki going. :)

7. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    No worries about comprehensibility Neonomide, I didn't have any issues understanding what I saw. If I do run into anything of yours I can't make sense of, I'll let you know.

As for these wall combos! Just tested a little bit, and against Blaze I was able to get:

8 Drinks

3K (wall stagger) -> 66K W! -> K+G4 -> Sou K+G -> 6K W! -> Chou K(w!)P w! -> 43P+KP r! -> 43P+K or 3P+K

118 Dmg

This is very spacing dependent. It works if you are directly in front of the wall at 90 degrees (basically works perfectly if you reset the dojo with CPU back to wall settings).

If you take one step to the right, the 6K will whiff. One step to the left, and the 6K hits but they won't hit the wall again. This actually has to do with the position of Shun's back/front, so here's something I learned - Set the position settings to CPU back to wall, Closed Foot position. From here, take one step counter-clockwise (down from 1p side) and try:

8 Drinks

3K (stagger) -> 66K W! -> K+G4 -> Sou K+G -> 3PPK w! P+K+G -> Ous 6P+K+G PP r! -> 43P+K or 3P+K

108 Dmg

This combo would also work if you set foot position to open, and took a step clockwise (up from 1P side). So, this is a combo that works when Shun's front is closer to the wall.

Take the same settings (Closed Foot, CPU back to wall) and take one step clockwise (up) so Shun's back is closer to the wall. The above combo would stop working at 3PPK here because you aren't properly aligned to the wall. Instead, the following combo is what I was able to get:

3K (stagger) -> 66K W! -> 9K+G P+K+G -> Ous KPK (w!) P+K+G -> Ous 6P+K+G PP

104 Dmg (more if you follow with a 43P+K or 3P+K and they don't tech roll)

Sadly after the last hit you are off alignment and don't get the final r! to set up the last hit. It is possible to get the r! from certain spacings, in which case the 43P+K or 3P+K is guaranteed for 110 total damage.

Bonus Swag Combo:

Closed Foot, CPU Back to Wall, one step clockwise (up) to move Shun's back closer to wall...:

8 Drinks

3K (stagger) -> 66K W! -> 2P+K+G -> Zan K+G -> 43P+KP

81 Damage

When do you ever get to sit down in the middle of a combo?! Haha, I was trying to find an application for different things and that seems fun.

Anyhow, hope this helped generate more ideas about what combos are possible from different angles to the wall. Still lots to test clearly, but I think we can still optimize (and obviously should also try testing on heavier characters).

Compared the the combos Chill posted for Lightweights, only the combo from directly in front deals more damage than his ones so far (118 vs. 114). Otherwise, from the left and right side Chill's combo still works for 114. It uses the stomach crumple instead of going for a high bound.

At 8 drinks, doing...:

3K (stagger) -> 33P -> 6K W! -> Chou KP w! -> 43P+KP -> 3K or 3P+K

Is 114 damage irrespective of the direction of Shun's facing.

Final note -

21+ drinks is the threshold where you can get 236KPP to give you a w! instead of just an r! after a high bound. This unlocks MUCH more damaging combos, because you can do 236KPP -> 43P+KP -> 3(P+K) (full charge) for serious hurt. Good luck getting to 21 drinks, but if you're there, this is how to have fun with it.

21+ Drinks

3K (stagger) -> 66K W! -> K+G4 -> Sou K+G -> 236KPP w! -> 43P+KP r! -> 3(P+K)

130 dmg o_O

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Pai~Chun and Neonomide like this.
  8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    How about this shit?

beanboy, Chill and Dreamboat like this.
  9. Chill

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    Witnessing those moves flow into each other is like watching the operation of a Swiss watch.

10. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

11. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Oooohh u saw dat shit! That was a beastly wall combo from Shun!!!