1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Best VF Dojo?

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Sep 13, 2014.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    How was the Dojo for VF 3? Did it have one? I started VF with VF4 and out of all the VFs since 4 EVO seemed to be the best... Did VF 5R have a Dojo? Does anybody know?

2. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Yes. It cost two credits instead of one, lasted for a couple of rounds, didn't have any settings and it was impossible to produce a counter hit.

... since when have arcade games had practice mode?

3. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Combolamas, not everyone knows everything about every version of VF. I started the whole VF scene with VF 4. I did not know that VF3 never had a console, or PC version. I have no idea what VF1 or VF2 platforms were or were not. That's why I posted the question :)

In the versions of VF that I've been exposed to VF4 Evo seems to have the most complete dojo. And my post was to see if that is true or not ;)

4. Airegin

Airegin Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Airegin42
    XBL:
    Airegin42
    VF3tb had a console release on the Sega Dreamcast. However, quite humorously neither the instructional manual or game had any kind of real command lists. If I remember right the manual maybe had 3 or 4 moves for each character. There was a training mode, but for someone that knew nothing about VF it couldn't really teach you anything.

The versions of VF1 and VF2 on the Sega Saturn were much the same I believe, but I never owned a Saturn growing up. VF4 was not only the first VF that actively tried to teach you, but it was also one of the first fighting games that tried to teach you. I wish other franchises would do the same. Even these days just about all of the current competitive fighters still expect you to do sizable outside research in order to learn their systems. Hopefully this kind of backward thinking will eventually die out.

masterpo likes this.
  5. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Saturn VF2 at least had a full command lists in the instruction booklet.
    VF4 had the best dojo. Not just that but it had the challenges where you needed to apply techniques to pass them (like do ETTEG 5 times or use CD fuzzy 5 times in a row).

One of the things that Evo had in dojo was that you could see character and stance spesific combos in there. The lists were not perfect but they were pretty good. I can't say that it's a function that should be there but it was pretty nice and something that Sega could work with a bit in the future. Being able to manipulate those lists would be pretty sweet to build your own in-game combo database, for example.
    Or if you could record some combos and tell the game to keep track of which characters it works on and in which stance etc. as you perform them in any game modes. That would be awesome.

One thing I miss from Evo is the ability to save your position. FS offers the ability to go to the center or edge. Evo you could position the characters where you wanted, save the position and then you'd go there upon pressing select to reset. Especially now that combos are longer and more specific it would be a pretty sweet tool to practice wall combos with. Or for recording combo videos.

FS dojo is not bad. It's better than 5 vanilla (IIRC that had no record, a pretty huge minus). It's just not encouraging you to learn defensive techniques the way evo challenges did. Getting some extra wallpapers for more game customization was a good treat to do it too. I miss those wallpapers.

And R was never released outside japanese arcades. Since when have arcade fighting games had practice mode?
    Oh, and I think Evo actually even had a huge glossary there for explaining all sorts of in game terms. I might remember that one wrong but I'm pretty sure it was in evo.

6. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    so of all the VF dojos VF4 and VF4 Evo seem to be the best....

disclaimer. goofy wish to follow.. LOL

But maybe Sega could just release the a full Dojo for VF5FS that had the best features of VF4 and VF4EVO as DLC .

I am kind of confused on the release of VF5FS they left so many simple things out of VF5FS I'm not sure whether they were features that were just 'turned off' so they could keep the download at a certain size, or whether they were taken out, or never really in the game. For instance in Dojo mode, in the command list option there is video for some moves but not for others... :( why?

7. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Some revision of BlazBlue offers a limited time practice mode and so does Akatsuki Blitzkampf AA, and I think Persona 4 Arena might too. It exists, but is not that common.

BlueLink likes this.
  8. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

Okay, so the arcade versions don't have a dojo mode :( For the Japanese players who only play VF arcade how do they learn, and then practice on frame data? Do they get the frame data from guides and then work out combos and situations in real time? No dojo to work out combos wow... do they learn combos from guides and during actual game play? I'm so use to having a dojo mode, I can't imagine playing the game would without one.