1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Fighting Game Problem - How to Teach Complicated Mechanics

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Oct 5, 2014.

By Myke on Oct 5, 2014 at 4:07 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    BeastEG, Coroo, EvenPit and 7 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Ikari_Ain_Soph
      Ikari_Ain_Soph
      Thanks Mike....
      Speaking of.... which VF game has the most complete Tutorial mode?
    2. Myke
      Myke
      Hands down, it would be VF4 Evolution on PS2. Here's a comment I made on the YouTube video with my brief reasons why:

BlackGeneral, Ellis, Coroo and 5 others like this.
    3. Neonomide
      Neonomide
      I couldn't agree more. VF Evo also had a display for a (supposed) max damage combo for each launcher. How could one possible top that in a tutorial?
      Coroo likes this.
    4. oneida
      oneida
      Dandy's 5FS vid should've been patched into the game
    5. MakiLeSushi
      MakiLeSushi
      Vf4evo definitly...
    6. ToyDingo
      ToyDingo
      I agree with the premise that fighting games need to do a better job of introducing new players to the genre. I, however, disagree with his idea that that should be the responsibility of the single player campaign.

He seems to ignore the fact that most fighting games are arcade games first. That's why the single player does a terrible job of introducing players to the mechanics of the game. Once they are ported to home consoles, the tutorials are usually an after thought because of budget restraints.

I do wish more games had a VF4Evo tutorial, but it just isn't realistic...:(

Edit: Forgot to mention Skullgirls for having a pretty damn good tutorial mode. It's not as deep as I'd like, but it's a great way to introduce players to the mechanics of the game and the genre of 2d fighters.
    7. Jide
      Jide
      I do appreciate these videos but I'm a little dismayed that none have taken the time to research this topic. VF4's (Version C) training mode wasn't bad either to be fair. I did like the profile option where the game would tell you what you weren't doing. Not doing max damage combos and not defending well enough etc.. Not sure how it worked specifically but hey it was brilliant at the time...

Developers do argue that while they put these modes in the majority of players skip over it. So it has to be put in a way which is presentable for both the new comer and entertaining enough to keep them going.
    8. Chefboy_OB
      Chefboy_OB
      Great tutorials are definitely a key in getting a lot of these new players into the genre, but as as @ToyDingo mentioned it really is about the experience with other players. You simply can't expect to get anywhere in this genre if you aren't willing to take a loss(several hundred).

With all my friends I've gotten into fighting games they really enjoy them at a certain level, but once the obstacles pile on they don't want to progress to overcome those obstacles. When the need to practice, or work to achieve victory inevitably rears its head then their passion is shot.

The rpg mode he's describing in the video actually sounds like a lot of fun for new players and vets alike!
    9. BeastEG
      BeastEG
      I think the real key is better information to help someone move from "competent" to "expert." I do agree with nearly everything said in the video though.

Right now, there are plenty of options/tools to get someone to be competent, but usually it can be very difficult to understand how you get past competency, myself included. As @Chefboy_OB said, the problem is that most often than not, it can be really difficult to overcome some obstacles and that leads to frustration. Moving from competent to expert is usually where this comes from.

I would propose that better stat tracking would help this alot. Something like, "You almost always abare after you block 3 attacks." or Top 10 strings that get you. Things like this would go a long way in showing you where you are lacking so you can focus on them. More often than not, you're left with a feeling of not knowing what to do, so you quit.
    10. redtiger
      redtiger
      I imagine a Shenmue-like adventure mode where you have to learn new moves and mechanics from old masters in order to defeat tough opponent and proceed further.
      No need to be as fancy as Shenmue but it would be great.
    11. ToyDingo
      ToyDingo
      Pretty sure that was the story line to this lil' gem...

[​IMG]
      BeastEG likes this.