1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 moves.

Discussion in 'Lau' started by C1REX, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Don't use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to punish evaders, just use throw. More dmg and more safe.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is mostly designed for sobering Shun, or to beat characters who go into stance such as Lei Fei or Kage. Of course, since it's full circular, I'm not gonna argue that it's not useful for punishing evades.

However, why don't you guys try /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif? It's full circular, sideturns on hit, and it's completely safe on block. You wouldn't worry about the exe speed in this case since you are guessing to beat an evade.

Another thing you can try is to delay /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to beat evades, this will need some practice in dojo, but if you can get it down, it's much safer if blocked or if you are counter hit out of it. Not to mention much better dmg potential.

For punishing big whiffs, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(into /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif string) are the best. Do not use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as that move is nearly useless even from the previous versions.

I'm surprised no one mentioned /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif as one of Lau's top moves. It's fast, very long range, and tremendous combo potential.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and it's many options is also one of Lau's best moves. It can go under high attacks, and launches on counter hit, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif follow up is also advantage on block. Try the special high /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif follow up against LP interrupt attempts.

2. Shiznittles

Shiznittles Well-Known Member

I constantly forget about this move. I normally do the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif since it puts me in Kokei and from what I can tell is similar in many ways to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif for its properties. Perhaps other people's mileage varies.

I have had luck doing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif(slight dash needed?) > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif as a surprise for people. If you're feeling wacky try /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif cancel > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif if you're into throwing people (like I am).

Most people *think* /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and maybe that's its power. Kokei has a ton of mids and people stand for the first hit or two regardless when they see /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif.

Interesting idea Srider.

By the way - can we talk about /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif a little bit more? I tend to leave that alone altogether during my standard Lau mixups. It does seem to hit hella long range.

-Shiz

3. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

I use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif quite a bit, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif on rare occasion, didn't think to use it to punish sidesteps. After a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, I find myself getting away with throwing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif a lot, I guess the move makes people think they can punish Lau due to its slow and awkward nature? But I land a lot of counterhits this way.

Never really thought of a use for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, I'll try adding that to the mix more, and take your advice on punishing with it Srider.

4. Shiznittles

I don't normally quote myself but I was speaking with Aaron (Happy Friend) on Live and he equated /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to a friend - <span style='font-size: 11pt'>a friend that stays at your place, drinks all your beer and sleeps on your couch for too many days. </span>

Heh, I had to laugh. From one Lau player to another I see his point. I have trouble doing a move that in essence calls for me to wait for someone else to attack to be fully effective. Then again - it's a valid mixup and I will drop it into the rotation. I'll bring out my new undefeated Lau from the lab and slap Dissy around the ring.

That said - Aaron still fears my mighty:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif > (backturned flipkick) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ub.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

I can honestly say out of the 4,325 times I have tried it against him the one time it worked we were both impressed.

-Shiz

5. Pai_Garu

You shouldn't be using /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif through waiting... you should ONLY use it when you know a HIGH /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is coming such as blocking the first part of a string. Because chances are, in those situations, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is not your opponent's best option.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is better than /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif imo unless you want to go into Kokei. The fact that it sideturns opponent gives you much better dmg potential than /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. It's also much safer when blocked since it pushes the opponent so far away, unlike /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif.

Here is something you can try (something specific) - against rising attacks, back dash away from the kick and immediately buffer either /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. If the first hit connects, all the rest of the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif's will connect.

You can also use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to close in distance quickly.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif hit mix up can be easily avoided if you dodge to the side Lau is facing after it hits, so it might not always be a good idea to go for the low/mid mix up afterwards as Lau (unless of course your opponent doesn't know that).

You can try to crouch dash back (which also turns Lau back around), and either do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif again, or quickly dash in and throw or mid.

6. Shiznittles

OK, I got some games off-line with Dustin and Joey last night (SweepTheLeg[/size] and BETABOW[/size] respectively).

For you Lau-sers out there Joey is easily one of the best Lau's I have played on or off-line (he and Happy Friend 76/Dissmaster[/size] are my top two). Off line Joey's a little more deadly since there is zero lag and his moves are quite precise. He really doesn't fart around a lot (like me). He knows what he's doing and varies his attacks.

Some things I saw him do effectively:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - Gad's! As Srider mentioned this move has range. Use this and break the rhythm of the subsequent hits and you can get all sorts of hard hitting nonsense. Did I mention this has range?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - This move was nice to shut down a lot of sidestepping because it seemed (I may be wrong) to have some minor magical tracking properties. Many times I watched Dustin close in with Eileen and saw this move shuffle Lau out of harms for a couple frames during the backturned part only to return for the full /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (the high ass kick) combo. WOW!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif - 'Nuff Said!

Joey was great a breaking up long Lau strings enough to turn what looks to be a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif into a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (space) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. It's strange but he did a lot of that. He knew a lot about how long you could hold moves before they dried up. He would delay the sweep on the end of Lau's punch strings for a long time then BOOM!

I think Dustin can elaborate more. I played Joey's Lau against my Lau and we had some really fun mirror matches. I started many rounds proclaiming to have an unbeatable Lau only to have a nail biting ending with me losing by a hair screaming and laughing!

Joey rarely did my favorite move /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif proclaiming it to be 'risky' and although he didn't crutch Lau's throws as I do he was able to execute all of them at will.

One match saw us each within a low punch of winning and he started doing this robotic laugh <span style='font-size: 8pt'>'HA HA HA'</span> because he KNEW that was exactly the time I normally do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - sooooo - I went in and threw him, winning the match. He said "Wow, you normally do that jump kick." Dustin and I had to laugh at that statement. I was predictable but learning new tricks after all.

Lot's of fun all around and I got a lot of respect for Dustin who I thought held his own with Eileen. Damn her monkey hide! If we could get Joey, Aaron and me in a room we could have the great Lau 2K8 with Sebastian doing commentary on all our (similar) moves!

-Shiz

PS If you want a flamboyant Lau - Aaron (Dissmaster[/size]) can tell you where to get him all dressed up and how to do those flashy swingy dingy combos.

7. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    I'm guessing he doesn't know about the magical /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif (I'm gonna go on the record for finding it).

"NYUUUUAH, Me LAU, Me Special!" *tapping /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif furiously*

His only redeeming feature.

(SEBO FOUND IT AND NAMED IT, ME, NOT A LAU PLAYER)

NYUUUUAH!

8. Shiznittles

Another little slapper from BETABOW[/size] was:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

Pretty ugly little move and great for ending the round when there is little life in your opponent. I think the second sweep is only guaranteed if they tech roll but I believe the back turned punch is always landed.

Try it and see what you think.

-Shiz

9. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, Srider.

Alright, like I said earlier, this old man has way to many cool moves to just have a Top Ten list. So here's another 10 reason why Lau rocks:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif I've rarely ever had any success with 8P but 9P can be a lifesaver sometimes. It's a fast, safe combo starter that avoids lows and kills 2P!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and it's followups. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can go into Kokei and the folloup P slams for a combo. Beware of always doing the followups as a good opponent will usually start low punching after blocking 3K. Be aware of this and counteract accordingly (like, stop doing the followups and apply defensive tactics i.e. block, evade, etc.)

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif This move looks slower than 19 frames but it's not. It's not a combo starter but it is a good mid that leaves at advantage on block (+1). Linear but still a good mixup move.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif I did not forget about this move, I use it in my game all the time but I like I said, there's so many moves to talk about when it comes to Lau. It's only -3 on block and it sideturns on hit and blah blah... as every Lau player knows, this move rocks. Kinda slow and it is a high but still a great move with good range.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif I know, I know, I should have mentioned this move in my previous Top Ten but, see above.
    I love this move because of all the reasons stated by others in this thread but I really like to do 8K on it's own and see what my opponent does and then go from there. Sometimes I'll just do another 8K and when he starts to think that he can rush in I hit them with the followup K. On the stagger if the opponent is not good at stagger recovery /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif will pop them up in ther air for a damaging juggle. If they're good at stagger recovery dash in and play the 50/50 game, mid or throw.
    For folloup mids I like doing 6PP/66P+K/9P/4P+K or 3KP or even 4P if I want to do some Kokei action. For throws obviously /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gifP+G or even better /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gifP+G or even better /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and follow that up with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif comes out slow at 26 but it's got excellent range, you can combo off of it and it's only -8 on block unlike /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif which is -14. I'm not saying it's better, I just like it more.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif IS an awesome move. Followup P can go into Kokei, it JUGGLES ON COUNTER, the followup P+K kills low punches (head crumple) etc. As you all most prob know by now, another killer move.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is great for the same reasons stated by others in this thread (sorry, feeling kinda lazy today)

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and it's followups are another great way to mix up your Lau. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is only -7 on block and it pushes the opponent back a good bit. Throw in /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif after the first two punches to catch your opponent off guard sometimes but even though that low attack gives Lau a really good stagger it is -14 on block, use sparingly. Dont forget to mix in the followup /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif series, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is -9 on block and I think it combos on CH (cant test it out right now). /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is half circular and can take you into his lovable /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif series.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif Half circular and can take you into his Kokei stance.
    That's my two Lau-sy cents.

10. Shiznittles

Tony,

Great advice! Great insight into Lau's moves and why they rock. I have to laugh when people say Lau has only a few moves (<span style='font-size: 8pt'>well, that is sorta true</span>). He's got a ton of moves but a lot of them look similar, for instance:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif / /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - visually similar

and

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif / (Kokei) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif / (Kokei) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - visually similar

Lau's moves can lead the opponent to think he's facing a particular combo then WHAM change into something different. A couple goodies:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - Come on now. This is a great move! As you mentioned Tony it can catch people off guard and slap them on their butts if it hits as a counter (they seem to land kind hilariously like kids pushed down in a playground)

(Kokei) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - I call this the "<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Don't think I can't hit you just cause I'm in Kokei</span>". Most people just stand, guard and allow a little buffer so Lau can do his Kokei posturing delay attacks like (Kokei) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(delay)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. This little dandy of a move wakes them up and makes them think it ain't so safe sassy pants! I think you can Spear palm (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif) if you're feeling fresh and get some combo damage if that hits.

I've also been experimenting with Lau's low sweep. I'm still in the lab doing research but I think you can get part of the classic Lau-sy follow up /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif in if you're accurate and fast:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif(then quickly and patiently)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - if this hits it is GUARANTEED [/size]to illicit groans from all watching. I got this off while farting around in Quest mode. I'll post more once I close up the research grant for this move at ULC (University of Lau Chan).

Finally - I have to mention a move that most Lau-sers out there probably don't do often enough:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif - This move makes me laugh every single time. I almost shit myself laughing with Aaron when he did it three times in a row to me. Lau makes people fall flat on their face - then they way they get up looks so ridiculous. Like a kid getting knocked down by the schoolyard bully and standing up awkwardly saying "This fight ain't over! I'm OK! I tripped! I swear." - do this a few times and don't even followup for maximum psych points. If its the last of their life when they hit, they go down - graveyard dead![/size]

-Shiz

11. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I love lau I've been playing around with making him my alt

12. KowtowRobinson

KowtowRobinson Well-Known Member

Also if you happen to finish with a move that leaves them standing, like a sidekick, dash in and toss them down. Same effect, same laughs.

13. Shiznittles

I *almost* regret making such a minor post but seriously - that was a hilarious response - I snorted some coffee when I read it the other morning.

More fun with Lau for everyone!

-Shiz

14. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is special high which is why you'd use it instead of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif...on pressuring a downed opponent it covers evade & lp.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is a damn cool move and there is nothing you would use in it's place...ring out...wall...that badass scream...ask anyone (seriously) the coolest move in the game.

15. KowtowRobinson

KowtowRobinson Well-Known Member

Good point about 6k+g offering ringout potential for people trying to evade at the ring edge. I didn't know k+g was special high, I'll have to keep that in mind. Less range than 4k+g though, and the mixups from Kokei aren't as effective as the sideturned mixup you get with 4k+g, I don't think.

16. Shiznittles

Hmmm, This one goes out to Dissy Pants[/size].

I *think* the combo:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(keep crouching)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(while standing)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif works as well as the one punch version. I got it off a few times the other day. Psychologically it's an even more discouraging than:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(while standing)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

Give it a go Lau-sers and see if it works for you.

-Shiz

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

My top 10 attacks:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - do these count?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - of course

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - for countering, beating failed evades

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - do hit check!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - reverse nitaku, beats low attacks

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif - yep, still a staple

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - definitely

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif - great range, half circular

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - especially once the opponent starts to freeze

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - when you want to inflict near half-life damage

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - weakened from VF4, but still one of his best moves

Bonus: either /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to beat evades. I actually prefer the former since you get to play Kokei mind games and it's special high.

18. Pai_Garu

I'm starting to feel that Lau has gotten weaker somewhat since FT since alot of his moves don't track nearly as well anymore.

Like what you said ice-9, that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is much worse compared to 4...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is pretty crap in 5 as well I think.

19. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Still second highest placing in JP tournies though =Q

I didn't play FT to compare, but my friends are already onto my options with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. Still seems useful in many cases, but feels risky as well for what it is.

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Could you explain what you mean? Moves, in general, don't "track" unless the opponent does something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like what you said ice-9, that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is much worse compared to 4...</div></div>
    Why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" style="height: 48px;"><pre> Grd Hit CH
    VF4FT -7 +2 +6
    VF5c -6 +4 +7</pre></div></div>
    What am I not seeing? On "paper" it actually looks like it got better in 5?

It'd be nice if people qualified their judgement of moves with actual reasons from time to time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I've had in mind to try playing Lau, so reading a comment that says "move X sucks" (paraphrasing) without reasons why doesn't help me as a Lau beginner.

This is not solely directed at you Srider.