1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Training from the ground

Discussion in 'Aoi' started by OMGiTZ5ib1, Apr 27, 2013.

1. OMGiTZ5ib1

OMGiTZ5ib1 New Member

Ok guys, I'm in this situation

I don't understand at all how to play 3d games, and less vf, I had played the game from some time and I know some commands and things like that, but I don't understand the basic of the game

I can train only 30 minutes a day for all my responsabilities, and I will play with my small scene maybe every friday, so I really need to improve my game

I want to play with Aoi, but don't know how I should play everyday to improve my technique.

Every tip is welcome

2. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown has a very good tutorial mode. That's definitely a good place to start learning about 3D games and VF. There's also a command training mode where you can learn all the available moves for you character.

Have fun! :)

3. OMGiTZ5ib1

OMGiTZ5ib1 New Member

I played the tutorial, but after that what? I'm thinking more with the real training mode

4. Tiripsem

Tiripsem Well-Known Member

Study up on this forum and find people who are willing to make rooms when you're free. Apply the things you learn here and try them in practice mode.

Craigbot likes this.
  5. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi
    I still go through (basic) tutorial most of the time after I've played some matches.

Thing is, there is no magic training drill that will instantly make you a great player. The "real training" you're referring to is for "self practice" - you can practice whatever you want. So without knowing what you're good at and what you're not you can't make full use of your time spent in there well. You can learn to dash cancel - blah blah blah. But without knowing the why you would do that, it's nothing more than a mechanical movement to you and you wouldn't use it in a match. Follow Tiripsem's advice and play a few matches and get a feel for the game.

Chi

PS: the "basic" tutorial in FS is very good, it gives you a scenario and then shows you what you can do about it.

Craigbot likes this.
  6. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Get used to doing this move: 2KP, as you will be using it a lot! Almost never do the last P, unless as a combo ender after a juggle (for example, 66K). Try doing 2KP then a throw, as many players will still be guarding looking for the last P, which crumples into a combo.

Use your elbow, 6P a lot as well, and 2P to break things up. From crouching, Aoi has some great moves and throws you can mix up. Any time someone runs into your Tenchi stance (all 3 buttons), you can do PPK, then the 2KPP move if they don't get up quick enough. Next time they run into it, try doing a throw instead. Try not to use this stance too much though, as you can be swept, thrown, or hit high out of it with certain attacks.

If they are doing 2P a lot, try hitting the 64P move to grab it in advance. 4K is pretty cool as well, as it staggers then you can dash in for a combo if they don't shake out. Might wanna learn and memorise both sides of the rolling chain throw as well, as you can get around half the life-bar from this if they don't break it. Don't forget, she has 3 low throws as well that grab crouchers, and you can even 'combo' into them if you land 3P as a yellow flashing counter hit!

Just the real basics there, of how I play her anyhow. Whichever console you're on, you must try and hunt out the semi-decent Aoi lovers, and gradually take bits from their game, that suits your own style :)

Craigbot likes this.
  7. Dipstick

Dipstick Well-Known Member

PSN:
    RottenSashimi
    XBL:
    Kumubou
    I don't like this string and would not advise using it starting out. The real problem is that [2][K][P] does not jail even when the [2][K] hits NH, so people used to seeing the move will just duck or evade the second hit or and blow you up.

I almost never [2][P] with Aoi. [4][3][P] is basically her [2][P] replacement and it's better in so many ways. It does more damage than [2][P] (it can trade with elbows, which always ends in your favor), is a double palm (so it blows up all sabakis and most reversals), hits mid (can't be low crushed), and staggers on CH. The one downside it has is that it's a frame slower (oh noes). Honestly, it's her best move.

Throwing after a Ten'chi parry is terrible; just take your guaranteed damage (especially since they're side-turned). If you want to get cute, you can do what I saw kingo do during the Fight A Fraud event, where he would parry into [P][P][P][2][K][G] into whatever the heck -- you get a pip of damage (30) and you get to mess with them. There's actually a lot of ways to get fancy in that situation, but generally you just want to take your guaranteed damage.

[6][4][P] sabaki of [2][P]s is great (especially for the FU factor -- but if you want real FU factor, low reversal them) but it's rather specialized; I think you should just learn how to beat [2][P] with fundamentals first (if they're mashing it, block one and then elbow them), especially since she doesn't have much in the way of low crushes.

[4][K] is a good response, just be aware that the stagger from a CH hit is rather low; it's pretty easy to recover from (it does give you a mixup opportunity, though).

[3][P] CH is low throw is not guaranteed anymore; it's only +8 in FS. However, it does induce a nitaku situation with them in FC, so it's a good sequence regardless (if they try to stand block or continue crouch blocking, the low throw will get them).

-----------------------------------------------------

As for what else to do? I would take a look at the top 10 moves thread (really should be called First 10 moves, but whatever) to get an idea of what moves to start learning with (and when to use them), learn some basic combos (even if it's just launcher -> [2][K][P], [6][4][P][+][K][P]) and then start playing real matches. Play a bunch of games and then ask questions about what you got blown up by.

8. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4

Nah, it was not to get cute, but aiming for PPP(wall stagger)2K into sundome K for a wall crumple and wall combo ( but FAIL ), as you can see, I only do that near the wall, otherwise it's always better to get the guaranteed PPK indeed.

Cozby likes this.
  9. Phoxx

Phoxx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Phoxx__
    XBL:
    Phoxx 3D
    This is a great video if you're just getting started with the game -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boM7T3BWewY

It's a pretty long watch, but definitely worth the time if you're interested in picking up VF. The first time I watched this, it improved my game tremendously.