1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Evo for PS2 Announced

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Dec 3, 2002.

By Myke on Dec 3, 2002 at 10:28 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution has been announced for release on the PS2 in Japan on 13th March 2003.

From SEGA's release information:

<ul type="square">[*]Graphics have been improved.
    [*]The new Quest Mode introduces an adventure element to the game. You can travel around to different game centers in Japan and take part in tournaments, and finally in the national tournament. 500 players have been simulated in this enviroment using real life data. AM2 staff will also be featured.
    [*]Training Mode has been upgraded. More air combos are included in the Trial Training this time around, particularly those used by the top players.
    [*]Lots of new stuff to collect. Apart from items, you can get emblems, wallpaper, and so on.
    [*]Faster loading time (!!!!)
    [*]New Replays will be included of famous players matches.
    [/list]

The above was roughly translated from Sega's Virtua Fighter 4 for PS2 official website.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Catch22
      Catch22
      There is also a Virtua Fighter 4 Evo STick announced. Funny thing is, that AM2 is claiming better than arcade graphics, and loading times equal to the arcade. Sega has learned from Sony's sales hype. Now gimme,... gimme.
    2. jwalton
      jwalton
      GREAT NEWS!

one question: I can't seem to be able to find any reliable info that confirms/deny's that evo is also going to be on xbox... anyone?
    3. martialfanatic
      martialfanatic
      Better than arcade graphics?!? Now that I would love to see (both because I want to AND because I'm somewhat skeptical). Looks like I won't have to go out and buy another system (unless they release a version C in the arcades, then port that to another system).

Just one question I got...and its a dumb one...

Where's my Taka? /versus/images/icons/frown.gif
    4. CreeD
      CreeD
      when it's confirmed on xbox, you'll see multiple posts all across the board about it, just like you've seen all sorts of posts about the PS2 version. Until then, if you don't see anything, that's cuz it's not confirmed for xbox.
    5. LtTitan
      LtTitan
      Hey, they said its comoing out for the PS2. But is it comin out in the US mainly New England? Because I read March 13, but that was a Japan release. So anything about the US release? Sorry if this was asked before though.

They announced that VF EVO stick. Where is that gonna be? Any gaming store? I am still looking for a stick and I hope this one is available.

THANKS!
    6. ggbro
      ggbro
      The US version should follow the Japanese version by about 3-4 months. I don't know for sure but Japan obviously gets all the games before America. I'm excited by the Quest mode and the new arcade stick but there's no way they'll be able to make "better than arcade" graphics for the PS2... I hate to say it, (I cringe at the thought of using the XBOX pad for a fighting game /versus/images/icons/confused.gif ), but AM2 and SEGA have a better chance at delivering arcade visuals with the XBOX. I mean look at Dead or Alive 3... The only hold up is there is no support for the Box in Japan. Maybe a dual console release in the States?? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    7. SG-Lion
      SG-Lion
      PS2-EVO --- YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif /versus/images/icons/grin.gif /versus/images/icons/grin.gif
      MARCH 2003 --- MUAAA HAAA HAAA AAA /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif /versus/images/icons/frown.gif
    8. jwalton
      jwalton
      </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
      ...that's cuz it's not confirmed for xbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah... figgered that was the case, but i hadn't really seen anything positive either way. Thanks....

(a little grumpy, aren't we?)
    9. ukmc2
      ukmc2
      this is great news... ^_^
    10. 3of19
      3of19
      AM2 also announced today that they are adding a progressive scan mode tot eh PS2 version.
      But even people without HDTVs can look forward to a shimmerless gaming experience.
    11. Fatghost
      Fatghost
      So...does this mean anything for people like me who still have TVs from the early 1990s? :-x

I want a jaggy, shimmer free VF4!!!
    12. ggbro
      ggbro
      A progressive scan option would make Evo. look incredible...too bad you need a HDTV and 60$ component cables to get it to work. I suppose that might look better than the arcade but the PS2 hardware is so old.
    13. Fatghost
      Fatghost
      So...should I drop 4000$ on a new TV? I could probably grab the Arcade version for cheaper haaha
    14. Slayer
      Slayer
      Excellent New Mike. Thanks a lot! ^_^
    15. FaisonI
      FaisonI
      March 13th for Japan and just short of forever for stateside (or at least it will seem like it to me). If I imported the game would it play on my American PS2? As for the Xbox, can you guys imagine what they [Sega-AM] should be able to do with the Xbox's power?!!! Man, I can only imagine. As far as the Xbox's controller, yeah it would be a nightmare, but I imagine some company would put out an arcade like stick.. I would buy the game just to have it and hope for the arcade stick.
    16. Cephiros_VII
      Cephiros_VII
      I LOVE AM2 /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
      I can't wait /versus/images/icons/confused.gif
    17. ice-9
      ice-9
      Hey guys, I'm a bit of an idiot here when it comes to TV hardware, but your TV doesn't have to be an HDTV to support progressive scan right?

Also, does this mean that the PS2 actually supports progressive scan? So if you view DVDs on it, provided you have the cables and the TV, you can view the DVD in progressive? I apologize if the answer seems obvious, but as I understand it there are DVD players that do suppport progressive scan and many that do not.
    18. kbcat
      kbcat
      Yeah, you would have to have an HDTV in order to use a progressive scan feature.

Does the PS2 DVD player support HDTV modes? Well, it's always been my understanding that it doesn't. Does this mean that it can't do EVO in progressive scan? Well, not necessarily -- "VGA" modes are all progressive scan. So, it's possible that PS2 the game player can do progressive scan stuff, while PS2 the DVD player can't. Of course, I could be totaly wrong -- but this is how understand it.

cheers,
      kbcat
    19. MAXIMUM
      MAXIMUM
      Great news. Here's hoping the lighting will be improved for Evo. That's the only real issue I had with AM2's VF4 port to PS2 - most of the lighting was stripped away, giving the game a rather flat look.

Not so sure how possible this will be, however. Directional lighting is very expensive, and PS2 has no specific hardware light support. Still, there's allot of power under the hood of Sony's machine, and if anyone can tap hidden power from a system, it's AM2.