1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VFDC Martial Artists Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Modelah, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Kuk Sool and Small Circle for me. I work and play in an area of the UK that looks a bit like the set of Death Wish III, and obviously with no concealed carry laws out here, when a pack of ruffians confront you for your phone or whatever, you gotta be able to handle yourself.
    Getting back into gaming heavily the last few years, and not going nightclubbing so much, I had let it slide a bit. But after watching some old Phillip Rhee and Yuen Biao films recently, I've really been inspired to start up the routines again, so erected some padded posts in the back garden to beat the bejaysus out of. Was starting to think and feel time was against me, but then guys like Don Wilson and Bolo Yeung were still going strong in their 50s, so...
    Probably do a few more early morning runs down by the beach as well, with that Stan Bush on the iPod, heh.

Intensive physical exorcise does give you one hell of a feel-good factor, that's for sure. A world away from the horror of laggy online fighting vs what can sometimes feel like an army of faceless trolls!

2. Optimus_Cack

Optimus_Cack Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SquareNinja
    got a black belt in tkd when i was a teenager, but i'm rusty as hell. would love to go through some hapkido but that shit costs money, and i have no idea where a legit school is around here

3. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Sorry i'm late Ronald McTaka Donald. But i did Tae Kwon Do for about 12 years, but during that time I was also learning Judo, Ju Jistu and Hapkido from my dad (black belt or equivalent in each one of these) and then Just recently i started learning a Kyukushin like karate style. But don't worry, I wouldn't hurt a fly. :p

4. Hui_Xiu

Hui_Xiu Active Member

XBL:
    HuiXiu
    Hello all,

I've been training kung fu for a while in a style called Ba Zhen Dao Quan. To compare it to what Virtua Fighter characters do, I would say Lei Fei, Akira, Pai, and Eileen are the closest to it. I also started training in Baji (Hakkyouku) last month.

I have found that playing Virtua Fighter is a helpful tool for practicing real life strategy. It really is a great fight simulator.

masterpo, Pai~Chun and BLACKSTAR like this.
  5. Hui_Xiu

Hui_Xiu Active Member

XBL:
    HuiXiu
    I'm curious to hear more about the comparison of your practice and styles compared to VF. @Modelah, you said Jean wasn't to your liking. Why was that?

I remember before VF5 came out I was learning Hou Quan (Monkey fist), so I was eager to try Eileen out. When I first started playing, I couldn't get the feel of the character. I started practicing Hou Quan more intently, and I found that once I understood the style in reality, I was able to play her better.

Have you tried playing Jean recently?

6. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    There are a few moves in the game that have a real world counterpart in kung fu for sure. "fight simulator" hmmm.... Have you ever seen UFC 3 undisputed video game:

This is the game that I use to complement Virtua Fighter. If I'm really trying to get more of a martial arts combat simulator I play UFC 3 undisputed for MMA and Fight Night Champion for Boxing.

IMO Virtua Fighter is the best arcade fighter on the planet, and UFC 3 Undisputed is the best martial arts combat simulator on the planet! And the pratice and dojo mode in UFC 3 undisputed is the best I've ever seen in any fighting game of any type.

Virtua Fighter and UFC 3 Undisputed together is a awesome combination. For those who want more realism that VF offers UFC 3 will do it. For those who want a little less realism but don't want to go all out arcade VF is perfect. To me they are a must have.

Modelah likes this.
  7. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Well, @Hui_Xiu, first and foremost I must say that I think Jean's moveset is an excellent representation of Karate, although in Kyokushin we only use the ridge/knife/open hand strikes in kihon (basic movements), uke (parrying) and kata. Elbow strikes, though permitted in competition, are rarely used. I'm sure there are influences of other forms of Karate but most of what he does is legit full contact Karate, as one would expect. Naturally, as a Karateka his throw game was destined to be weak and his attacking strength awesome, and I like how most of his throws are actually striking combos.

I do play Jean from time to time, but in FGs I've just always liked heavy characters with powerful/cool looking throws. Before FS I mained Wolf and subbed Jeff, and when Taka turned up I knew he was the character for me. I also happen to be a huge sumo fan in RL, too. :)

Same thing when I used to dabble in *ahem Tekken, I started out with the Kazuya/Jin/Heihachi before settling on King.