1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Virtua Fighter 6

Discussion in 'General' started by EvenPit, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    Are there still really spectuacular hardware being built today for arcade machines, consoles or right about anything? - it seems most things are, in the end, leaning towards PC technology these days. It makes finacial sense too, aswell as a no-brainer when it comes to platform compatability. Though honestly this also makes different consoles sort of a superflous idea these days, if it is all just PC's with different packaging and secluded company driven network platforms.

I'd really not care if the next VF did not bring amazing improvements in sheer graphical quality, if it just had content, the characters, fluid animations, gameplay and tech/fight system tweaks, and perhaps also more thought to what could make online more viable and less frowned upon.

I don't know if many saw my ideas for a VF 6, not that i'd expect it to be used - still there are so many things in details, stats, connectivity and framwork for community-collaboration that could be done, if someone, somewhere, saw it benifical for the company (sega).

Bottom line, make the next VF in the spirit of VF - that is all i would be hoping, not water it down, make it count.

WolfKing likes this.
  2. aoi ameindei

aoi ameindei Well-Known Member

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    to be honest i barely play fs anymore i went back to evo.
    not because im stuck in the past ( i had fs before evo)
    but because fs is sooooo bare bones they don't even let you choose a cpu opponent
    evo has extras and quests and hyper mode
    all fs has is a shitty mission mode that you don't even need to get a trophy and an arcade mode with custom chars
    fs is so straved for content theres not even speicial intros or subtitles

3. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    FS in the west is a download-only game. There is only so much space that MS and Sony will allow a $15 network game to take up.

All those little extras like intros and what not take up a lot of space. Sooooooooo....yea....it was either leave those things out or make a full retail game out of it, and Sega kinda broke at the moment....

4. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    dlc? and how expensive are subtitles and a cpu matches its basically already coded

5. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I actually liked the fact that FS was so barebones. It would be nice to have the bells and whistles, sure, but this meant that the cost was probably relatively low, which means it's more likely Sega can sell it cheaper and make some margin on it.

At the end of the day as long as it has training mode, online and offline versus, that's pretty much all I want. The costumes were a nice addition to add some flair as well, I should point out, and a good DLC option since it was purely aesthetic and not affecting of balance or gameplay in any form.

6. ToyDingo

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    DLC cost money to create (even if the content already exists)

Subtitles and CPU match specific game modes cost money to create (even if it seems like a trivial change)

Every time a game publisher wants to post something on the XBL and PSN networks for purchase they have to pay MS and Sony a fee.

I'm not going to argue the economy of video games, suffice to say that changes to a game that is 2 years old and has a dwindling fanbase cost more money than the publisher will likely make back from the content.

We all wanted all the cool bells and whistles from the Japanese Arcade version, but that was never going to happen. :(

7. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Being able to record and play back three different flow charts in order or random, is one of my favorite things in this game. VF4 had the better SP content by a large margin, and that's more important for a game that gets respected instead of played, on top of the difficulties of starting and maintaining an offline scene.

MadeManG74 likes this.
  8. aoi ameindei

PSN:
    INSTA_BOLT
    okay i guess that's reasonable but these are things that should of been in the game from the start subtitles i can live without but i would played for 3 times as long if i could just choose a max level cpu opponent

9. rebelleon

rebelleon Active Member

Anybody talking about character ideas in here?

10. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

I'm not quite sure dwindling fanbase is accurate. When ever I checkout leader boards (PSN) the number of players in ranked mode is gradually growing (maybe some are the same player with more than one account) but I definitely run into new players. And in Single player mode leader board the number of players is also increasing. So even if some players create multiple accounts for ranked online, thats probably not so common for SP arcade mode.

I'm starting to believe that the small fanbase for VF outside of Japan is actually growing. Perhaps at a glacial pace. At least it is on PSN...

11. cmase1989

cmase1989 Well-Known Member

Honestly the games pretty much perfect for me. Maybe add some kindof visual flare and some new characters(new graphics too but thats a given). And a more memorable soundtrack(nothing wrong with the current one, just nothing that standsout). Some new voice actors for all the characters and new sound effects(but leave an option in for the old sounds, i love the cheese). Some new and more stages and modes(quest mode, vf4s training mode)

unlikely.. but i would love if there was some sortof bushido blade mode where its first hit wins basically haha. Would teach people good footsies and fundementals in the range game anyways!

12. cmase1989

cmase1989 Well-Known Member

I would love if sega made a fighting game BASED on the vf engine using characters from old franchises(Shinobi, Comix Zone, Streets of Rage, etc.) or at least make costume packs where you can make those characters

13. Flyingguillotine

Flyingguillotine Well-Known Member

Well Tekken 7 was announced this weekend. VF6 can't be far behind.

14. Jacky22

Jacky22 Active Member

I bought a copy of PuyoPuyo Teris for PS3 last week, I still dont get it why FS was download only, and stuff like Puyo Puyo Tetris gets a physical release for PS3/Vita/WiiU, but its Sega logic...

FS is barebone, a Fighter needs a good single player mode, Trial mode, Story mode , and a proper Tutorial like in VF4 Evo

Pai~Chun likes this.
  15. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Actually, TBH my nephews were playing VF4 Evo today on my PS2 and I was just doing a mental compare between VF4EVO and VF5FS and if you just number the features Sega provide in both.... (VF4 Evo is my favorite btw) you can't really call VF5FS bare bones.

VF5FS

Arcade Mode
    points Challenge
    License Challenge
    Sparring Challenge
    Online Mode
    Crazy degree of character customization
    Vs Mode
    Taka
    Jean,

VF4EVO
    Quest Mode
    Underground Tournaments
    Arcade Mode
    Vs Mode
    not much customization

Sure VF4 EVO single player had more bells and whistles (all of which I like), but if you're just comparing major modes to VF5FS , the VF5FS wins!!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  16. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

Po, you're delusional . FS is as barebones as you can get. Partly because Sega has a history of producing barebones arcade ports ever since the Sega Saturn days. The other reason is because as Jacky22 pointed out, it's a digital release . FS is so barebones it doesn't even have an intro cinema. Akira just goes " Hiyaaaahgh!" And they throw up the logo. FS is so barebones, it's not even an arcade perfect port. The graphics took a hit to squeeze it into the downloadable format. The Knockdown trial was cut. The customizable intros also got 86ed. I hope they never and a downloadable only VF again. Barebones City.

IcKY99 likes this.
  17. Devdan

Devdan Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WrysWendellBoah
    XBL:
    WrysWendellBoah
    The graphics did not take a hit, let's not start that again. Oh wait, I forgot what site I'm on, nevermind, FS is an abomination, the worst game of all time by far, and you're delusional if you believe otherwise.

18. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    My "barebones" statement was in the context of comparing VF5FS with VF4 Evo.

If you just count modes and compare them, like I did in my previous post, you'll see that
    you could say that VF5FS has more modes than VF4 EVO especially if you count the underground tournament as one mode.

If we're being honest about the Virtua Fighter Series its always been bare bones when you compare it to the other fighting games that have lots of modes (especially single player).

Originally, I had criticism for VF5FS because AM2 took out some of my single player perks (like keeping count of my W/L stats). But now when I compare the number of modes VF5FS has to the the number of modes the other VFs have, VF5FS looks pretty good. The insane amount of customization, the additional characters, license challenge mode normal & hard difficulty, the concept of the license, the sparring mode,
    online mode (remember VF5 on the PS3 did not have online mode) So online mode of VF5FS was a big deal for us in the playstation world.

Now that VF5FS has been out a few years, and the dust has settled, and we all can look at it objectively, IMO you have to give VF5FS very high marks. Its not perfect, but it offers more than VF5 (on the playstation) and offers more modes than VF4 and VF4EVO.

VF is bare bones when compared with the number of modes of a game like TEKKEN 6 or UFC Undisputed 3, but it is not bare bones when compared with previous iterations of Virtua Fighter.

19. ToyDingo

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Po, the number of modes a games has is not equal to the robustness of the modes.

VF4EVO's Quest Mode and Training Mode put VF5FS to shame. If you take all of VF5FS's modes and really compare them, they are all just variations of the same thing. VF5FS really only has offline arcade, offline vs, and online vs.

The sheer depth of VF4EVO's Quest mode absolutely obliterates any offline offering in VF5FS. And VF4EVO's training mode is still by and large the best training mode offered in any game to date.

VF5FS is barebones. No bells, no whistles. Thankfully the game is awesome fun to play (...offline...)

Ellis, IcKY99 and BeastEG like this.
  20. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

VF4:EVO had:

- Quest Mode with fully developed AI, multiple arcades, tournaments, missions, items, endless gameplay
    - Costumes that unlocked with gameplay, and you can unlock 100% items in one press of a button with a GameShark
    - Training Mode, highly expansive, tons of options, near limitless, best of all time arguably
    - VF10th Anniversary Mode, hidden in the options menu, just putting in more effort
    - Standard offline versus, replays, and arcade mode

$20 retail almost everywhere when it debuted.

- - -

VF5FS:

- Download only, complete game costs an additional $30 for unlocks, unless it is a random sale
    - Special Sparring, far inferior to Quest Mode, locked on day one as costly DLC, not even included in the game by default
    - Vastly inferior training mode, doesn't offer nearly as much as the much older VF4:EVO
    - Online lobbies and online play, an improvement, though Sega is leading from behind with zero innovation here
    - Online and offline replays, standard affair
    - Vastly inferior graphics and sound to arcade, heavily compressed audio, even compared to PS3/360 version of VF5

VF5FS is about as lazy as it gets.

By making the game online only they had to scale down the audio so much it is laughable. Anyone listened to the soundtrack on CD? Or played on a real arcade board and cabinet?

The single player modes are appallingly spare. The AI still uses combos from VF5 Vanilla. The overwhelming majority of discovered combos were programmed into the VF4:EVO AI. Sega missed very few of them. But the VF5FS AI? They barely programmed any of the best combos into the AI patterns.

If Sega had taken VF4:EVO's Quest Mode and Training Mode and just retooled everything for VF5FS it would have been a masterpiece. Instead they made this lazy garbage port. With horrid modes, scaled down visuals and audio, and nothing innovative.

oneida likes this.