1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Was Akira the reason why there is no macro input for P+K in the home ports of VF1?

Discussion in 'General' started by BarkeyForeman, Jul 28, 2014.

1. BarkeyForeman

BarkeyForeman New Member

Before I started to take fighting games seriously I used to rely heavily on button macros such as "B+G" to execute some of Raphael Sorel (Soul Calibur 2)'s defensive maneuvers and use the shoulder buttons with macro input for PPP or KKK to execute SF2's Zangief's lariet techniques.

So when I first got into Virtua Fighter Remix I naturally assigned macros for the buttons. But it was a shock when I tried to play as Akira and there was no macros for P+K which constituted so much of his command list moves. I actually avoided playing as Akira for years and instead stuck to Jeffry.

However quite recently I decided to test out Akira's movelist and bothered trying to learn how to execute his P+K attacks the old fashioned why by actually tapping both buttons simultaneously ASAP I finish the directional input. I still remember the first time I executed Tetsuzankou I was flabbergasted by the amount of damage it did. It took over 25% of the healthbar against the dummy! When I tested the technique in Arcade mode, a well timed Tetsuzankou often took half the life bar and there were instances were the enemy's were so open from a failed technique when I exploited their mistake a single Tetsuzankou (and mind you some of these moments were when I performed the FIRST BLOW of the match) took as high as 75% of the AI's health bar!

This is not even counting other P+K techniques such as Youshi Senrin which in addition to doing wicked damage create such mixup opportunities and can create manuevers.

I could never complete Virtua Fighter before on hardest and I practically dominated matches with Akira upon P+K becoming second nature. The farthest I got with Jeffry was the 3rd round. I actually managed to defeat Dural two rounds and only lost on the final one.

Seeing just how powerful his P+K moves, I can't help but wonder if the lack of an inclusion for an ingame macro was a deliberate one? The Sega Saturn port of VF has more than enough buttons to macro every possible simultaneous presses of the ingame command buttons and in addition they avoided specifically using the XYZ controls as alternative placements for the 3 basic commands. Even if they couldn't include macros, it would have been far more easier to execute P+K by tapping B+Y or C+Z simultaneously; or go a further route and tapping should buttons with the frontal buttons injoint to execute P+K. Even the PC port stuck to the same control setups the Saturn port did.

I mean P+G and K+G and even P+K+G got ingame macros. If the developers wanted players to actually to learn how to tap buttons they would not even include that.

Also to add Akira has an attack that executes G+K but the ingame macros don't execute that attack at all. Now I know even in the Arcade version you had to release G immediately after tapping both buttons so its a different story but the fact macros can't execute it is just more proof Sega intentionally not putting a P+K macro because Akira is just that overpowered.

What do you think of my theory?

2. D0llo13

D0llo13 Well-Known Member

This Game is a Game of Precise inputs and timing.Making it easier would insult the creators of over 2 decades of Greatness.Let the Weak play Easy Fighting Games.Sega Made VF So the Strong Could Battle to the Last... Victory.jpg

Strider786 likes this.