1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Why does every Lau....

Discussion in 'Lau' started by KowtowRobinson, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Scamp

Scamp Well-Known Member

Lau has very few low moves for a reason. If you can get your opponent to duck, they're ready to eat heavy damage.

Expert opponents will not try to block your sweeps (assuming they think you're going to abuse it) but will either use moves that hop over it (if you're using it when they approach) or will ETEG forward (if you're using it when you have the advantage). Lau's full circular game is not so good but he does have some really good attacks (like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) that hit people trying to evade forward and is safe on block. So mix up well!

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I wouldn't, since in theory I get pretty much maximum damage combo simply from blocking it. And Akiras yoho is notorious for missing after he has evaded something. Seriously Akira has those glasses costume items for a reason. Akira can do evade->SPoD but that wouldnt be max damage iirc.

3. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

If your opponent is eating sweeps over and over, please keep doing it. Why would you purposely make it harder for yourself to win?

Just remember that it's super punishable on block, and good players will block it on reaction and punish you hard for it. It's usually something to use to go under highs at range, or you can try /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, which is a true combo if the first one counter hits or minor counter hit. Very useful against strings.

4. Shiznittles

Shiznittles Well-Known Member

Yah, that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is a pretty wicked little diddy. If you see an opponent blink you can do that and it will hit most every time. I rarely sweep with Lau (I really should do it way more). I played Happy Friend 76 tonight and he was a master at pulling out a sweep at the right time.

I seem to recall he loved the in your face Lau that I like also. Plenty of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif then he would wait for a split second and if I flinched and went for a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif he would /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif (at least that is what I remember). It was a great move because he mixed it in.

I still like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (away from your opponent) if the going looks bad. If you're feeling really ballsy then get back turned and do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif (towards your opponent). Lau does a flipkick and if it hits you can combo in /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. I recommend that once every millennium for variety sake.

-Shiz

5. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

Hey, were you the Dark Timmy Lau I had the Player Matches with? If so we have to fight again. I was dulled b/c of pain killers (headache). You kept killing me with back away from rising attack and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or running in and throwing. I did not catch on. I wanna see if I eat it as much when at my sharpest, and those matches were fun anyway. If that was you, you play a lot like my earlier Lau. I mean that in a good way even if it sounds weird.

If that wasn't you then, uh, just add me and we will play some player matches.

6. Shiznittles

That's you!?!?!??! You're Happy Friend? ??!?! DISSMASTER?!?!? OH MAN! HAHAHAH

Those were great games. Now I'm putting it all together. Yah man, that was me. Makes way more sense now. My friend tonight spoke of you in the kind of hushed reverence reserved for religious figures. You are the best Lau I have seen for skill and for flashy shiz that actually works!

Yeah, let's play more. I have a lot to learn and I started practicing those combos you recommended. I still need help with the timing of the:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

I was in the dojo working on that for a while. I felt I got a taste of how Lau should be played while we were hammering away. You pulled off that rushing Lau stuff with panache!

Look me up man. I'm on in the evenings here normally!

-Tim (Shiz here and Dark Timmy on Live)

7. DissMaster

Thanks man. Your positivity is refreshing and it reminds me that the game is suppossed to be played for fun.

Everything is relative and for an American born player I am good but my game is full of holes. Specifically:

I don't hit check on a lot of jabs and "safe" attacks.

I rely too much on evades in lieu of fuzzy wuzzy.

I attack too much from disadvantage.

I do not escape throws b/c I am lazy.

and there's more, but shit...

yeah, let's play soon.

8. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Happy Friend is unbeatable....

9. Shiznittles

Dude, those were great games. I do enjoy VF and I play it for fun (I'm competitive and all but I like the community and the cool people in it.)

I find games versus people I know are a little more fun (and certainly relaxing) than a series of anonymous bouts. It's nice to do 5-10 rounds or more against someone where I can learn patterns and see strategies over time.

You think you’ve got holes? Heh, my Lau is so narrow! I rely on setups for throws and crutch my dash throws too much. I have the same set of problems you do also. I don’t evade near often enough nor fuzzy guard.

Too bad you aren’t local man! I’ve played Dustin and it’s so much fun to have the guy right next to you. Dudes like Dustin and Anthony are such clowns when they’re in the same room. They’re better than the running commentary. I love hearing quotes like “Oh, yep, there’s that throw again. Should have guessed.†I think my favorite quote for games with Eileen (Sweep) and Lei Fei (Anthony) is “Is that *all* the same long combo ?â HAHAHAHAHA

-Shiz

10. DissMaster

You are right that it is better to play with a person, but man XBL is a godsend.

The player matches are more fun.

Some of the frustrating things in ranked would be mitigated in player matches anyway. For example I have been beaten by Goh before where I am not even convinced that it wasn't a monkey on the other end whose trainers give a banana every time he does DM or that stupid sebaki. In multiple matches it would be easier to get used to but in a single match, the monkey has a fighting chance.

I guess anyting for a win or whatever, but damn, it sucks to lose to someone who sucks because logic dictates that if that can happen then I too must suck and that makes me sad /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I wish I did not have work to do for the next few days so I could play more VF.

11. KowtowRobinson

KowtowRobinson Well-Known Member

Any arcade works in the same way though, if you lose, you step off. Japanese arcades being as crowded as they are, that's the reality of it, gotta be ready for anything. Even some bullshit.

12. Temjin

Temjin Well-Known Member

He is very basic which allows you to learn the fundamentals of the game. This was the reason I went back to him.

13. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

The way Lau plays, he should be the cover boy of VF not Akira. Akira's there only because he looks like Ryu.

Does Lau's style look boring... well yeah, it does. But if you feel PPP looks like crap, then I recommend watching Ip Man, a recent Hong Kong martial arts film. You'll have new respect for PPP.

14. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

I'm glad you revived this thread man, there's not enough Lau talk around here [​IMG]

15. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Watching sensible laus make PPP a work of art since they only do it when they know they can get away with it. Playing tfam and his lau showed me this first hand. I try to find other ways aside from that method since I too find the PPP tactic boring personally (This is coming from a Pai player oddly enough another potential PPP type of character weird isn't it?)

16. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

Ip Man 2 is ok... but Ip Man 1 was much better in terms of plot presentation and believability of the martial arts. 1 was a film that a Western audience can enjoy on different levels. Ip Man 2 felt more like a conventional HK martial arts film, with all its HK MA film tropes.

And that Western boxer was totally overacting. He thinks he's on WWE.

I don't know what Akira does in 5FS (c'mon Sega, CONSOLE). But both Bajiquan (Hakkyoku Ken) and Wing Chun are close-range fighting techniques. Though Wing Chun is more flowing. Hakkyoku Ken emphasizes single showstopping strikes.

If Lau (never really thought much of his generic chara design) is replaced by Lan Di, then he can be on the cover as the bad guy/ nemesis, opposite Akira.

17. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

I'd love it if Ryo Hazuki is a bonus console chara in VF6! With all his Shen Mue 1/2 moves ported over. I couldn't care less if he's balanced or tournament-eligible, I'd take him through Quest Mode 100%, and make up my own story for him in my head: "Small town Jpnese teenager challenges world's greatest! Start on the path of the warrior!"

IIRC he has a few Akira moves, but overall his moveset is pretty unique.

18. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Afaik the main character of Shenmue was originally supposed to be Akira. They are more or less same character.

19. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

No no no, Ryo has a few of Akira's elbow moves, but Ryo has many of his own unique moves that don't look anything like Akira's style. Long kicks, parries, etc.

20. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Im talking about interview where Yu Suzuki said so.