1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

1/60th explains why I sometimes get effed up dodging punches

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by kbcat, Oct 1, 2004.

1. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Ever wondered why you sometimes eat a throw, or some other such nonsense, after successfully dodging a punch? Here comes the science.

http://www.dcn.ne.jp/~kazu68k/ft_a/system/wazahyo_keisan.html

Ok, the jist of the article is this -- you can dodge an attack at any time during its execution phase (i.e. from when the move starts, up to its collision detect frames). However, a successful dodge is 19 frames long in FT. When you put these two concepts together you dicover that the advantage gained from a successful dodge it high variable and if you dodge a fast move at the last possible moment you may actually wind up disadvantaged!

They use four of Akira's moves to illustrate the point.

terms:
    best possible dodge: if you dodge an attack in the first frame of execution with a perfect dodge motion (i.e. only 1 frame of down or up in your stick motion).

worst possible dodge: if you dodge an attack in the last frame of execution with the worst possible stick technique (i.e. 3 frames up in your stick motion).

Akira's P:
    - best possible dodge: you wind up with a +6 adavantage.
    - worst possible dodge: you actually wind up with a -4 disadvantage!

Akira's LP:
    - best possible dodge: +9 advantage
    - worst possible dodge: -1 disadvantage

Akira's DE:
    - best possible dodge: +18 advantage
    - worst possible dodge: +6 advantage

Akira's SDE:
    - best possible dodge: +22advantage
    - worst possible dodge: +10 advantage

There you have it -- this is why you sometimes get thrown even if you dodge a PG, and why sometimes you can dodge a move and launch someone and other times they can block.

cheers,
    kbcat

2. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I had a discussion with someone about this before. Some of the things we ended up concluding is that throwing a high P and letting people evade it is a good thing to beat back dash evades sometimes. Since the back dash makes the evade a bit longer, chances are you can probably get it to be an even situation and your lp can beat their counterattacks. Things like that.... but of course the opponent can always just lp in the first place to beat the p.....

3. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    This is really good info. Appreciated.
    Even if this is final tuned forum, I expect that this mostly applies to Evo also?

4. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Manjimaru said:

This is really good info. Appreciated.
    Even if this is final tuned forum, I expect that this mostly applies to Evo also?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is applicable to EVO but to a lesser extent. A successful dodge in EVO is 2 frames fast than in FT, so you must add 2 to all of the numbers. Which means a worst case dodge against Akira's P leaves you at a -2 disadvantage instead of -4.

cheers,
    kbcat

5. J6Commander

J6Commander Well-Known Member

You have it the other way around. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif It works with a greater extent from your frame stats.

It is very painful indeed to eat a guaranteed throw after my DE get dodged. ouch /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

6. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Plasma said:

You have it the other way around. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif It works with a greater extent from your frame stats.

It is very painful indeed to eat a guaranteed throw after my DE get dodged. ouch /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I say worst case dodge -- I mean the person dodging is at a disadvantage even though it was a successful dodge (i.e. the person dodged at the last possible moment and Akira's P recovers before the dodge finishes).

You do this all the time though -- run up and give a quick KG or P to cause a dodge and then throw them out of the successful dodge -- you're Akira is such as bugger /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kbcat

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

no way! guaranteed throw after a evaded SDE!?

btw, the whole PG - throw thing was covered a while ago. i think this info is much more detailed tho, good find.

come to think of it, i do use the P whiff - setup myself, infact quit alot, just never knew why it worked, lol.

8. Neonomide

Neonomide Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Neonomide
    [ QUOTE ]
    BK__ said:

no way! guaranteed throw after a evaded SDE!?

[/ QUOTE ]

VF rocks...