1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[15 Sep 2012] VF Circuit PS3 League September Major (Online PSN)

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by akai, Sep 1, 2012.

You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
VF Circuit PS3 League September Major
Online PSN
Confirmed Attendees: 29
Posted By: akai
Start Date: 15 Sep 2012 05:00 AM
End Date: 16 Sep 2012 12:00 AM
Time Zone: America/Chicago -05:00 CDT
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    In the first post, I mentioned four divisions. The Russian VF players joining the Circuit will also have their own division now (no guarantees of Mad Catz prizes for the Russian division, at this moment).

Also to note, when people get their group PMs for the tournament, there will be a question of some sort. Answer/Reply to it for a chance to get the U-be - Inspired by you Prize (a box of smoothie berry barz).

2. SNAKE BOSS

SNAKE BOSS Well-Known Member

akai did u sign me up for the major this Sat

3. hurtfulthings

hurtfulthings Member

PSN:
    hurtfulthings
    Switched to maybe in case I don't make it back from ATL Revival in time (not sure why I wouldn't but...).

4. Grabczas

Grabczas Well-Known Member

Its time to get my ass kicked well ;) I'm Goh player and I'm proud of it!

5. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    I'm in with Lei. See ya there ^^

6. SNAKE BOSS

I am in sign me up I will be usin Lau Chan let me know akai if I am in I want to support vf

7. SNAKE BOSS

8. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    SNAKE BOSS - Please stop spamming my inbox and the thread with the same questions. Notice how everyone that have posted do not spam the thread the same way that you do? Notice how if their question is not answered within a couple minutes, they don't go spamming? Please read the first post in this thread. If you done everything correctly as posted, you are fine.

9. SNAKE BOSS

sorry just new to this site lol

10. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    hurtfulthings - thanks for the notice. If you and all the other "maybes" can respond as soon as possible that would be great. If it will be last minute - I will try to make a standby list.

Less than 24 hours to confirm participation in the Saturday PS3 September Major! Don't be late in signing up, if you are interested in participating.

11. SNAKE BOSS

akai let me know an hour before tournament starts and whos in from my area east and who will be hosting and u said the first part is like before and final is 2 out of 3 can u explain more on that

12. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    I have RSVP'ed for this. I'll be using Akira.

13. jb3777

jb3777 Member

PSN:
    Ronin_Sixshooter
    Im in.

Character: El Blaze.

14. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Sign-Up deadline has ended. RSVP system discontinued. Any late sign-ups are not guaranteed.

15. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

hey JPN peeps can we postpone this until Monday night? its a three day weekend over here, I imagine most of us already have plans for Sat night.

16. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I will make a group conversation about it, but it is confirmed that both you and Shou are in for Saturday night...it would be a quick major!

17. SNAKE BOSS

akai when is the group conversation going to be for the majors?

18. SNAKE BOSS

and can u send me the link of the bracket so I can see who I am going up against

19. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    The format of the tournament is explained in more detail - here. I am re-posting it here also:

The format of the Major Events are divided into sections. Depending on number of participants, it may slightly vary per division.

Round Robins - Each person plays each opponent twice within the bracket. Everyone plays the round robin in the order that is shown in the challonge bracket. After completing one match against each person, repeat the round robin for the second match (in the challonge bracket - "add a game" to add a second match). The winner of each bracket based on win-loss-tie record advances. Depending on the number of brackets and size of the division the second pace finisher either advances to the 2 out of 3 single elimination event, go to a wild card stage, or does not advance. In cases of identical records, a one match tie-breaker would be done.

Wid Card (if needed) The players. Everyone plays a round robin of 1 match only. In cases of identical records, a one match tie-breaker would be done.

Single Elimination - Two out of Three Matches.

Please make sure to quickly update results so that the tournament can move forward as quickly as possible.

====

Turnout for PS3 Major came out less than expected.

Japan Division - 2 out of 3 match between the two players (unless there is a last minute entry). If so a round robin, then top 2 do 2 out of 3 matches. (Points scale: 2-1)

Russia Division - 2 brackets of 4 players each. Top 2 from each bracket advances to single elimination tournament. (Points scale: 4-3-2-1)

Europe Division - 2 brackets of 5 players each. Top 2 from each bracket advances to single elimination tournament. (Points scale: 4-3-2-1)

Eastern America Division- 3 brackets of 4-5 players each. Top player advances to single elimination. The second place finishers go to wild card. (Points scale: 4-3-2-1)

Western America Division- 1 bracket for round robin. The top two players do 2 out of 3 matches. (Points scale: 3-2-1)

I will be posting countdown timers for start time (see original first post), in a couple of hours.

20. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
  21. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

You say Western America is 1 bracket round robin - does that basically mean that everyone in the West will be in one bracket (like how I was in bracket 9 for the last league thing, everyone would just be in 'bracket 9'?) and then the top two placements just have a 2 out of 3 game, and that's it for the West?

Example:

7 people in West (made-up numbers)

7 people get into a room and play each other twice.

2 people with the best win/loss ratio have a 2/3.

Also, I'm curious, would there be some kind of 'grand final' event where the top person from each division/bracket play some kind of event? I know time-zones and connections would all be wacky so it wouldn't be anything super-serious, but it might be fun to see each region's finest battle it out.

Something I don't understand is, when would the Wild Card scenario be used? I'm not sure I understand how/why it would be used.

Lastly, just as a small expediting suggestion, you don't necessarily need a tie-breaker for identical results - you can actually use the results from the fight between those two people to determine the victor. For example, if Player A and Player B both scored 13 wins and 1 loss, then look at the match between Player A and Player B. If Player A beat Player B, Player A advances (and vice versa). There's no specific need for them to replay their match, and it would free up a bit of time by cutting out that game. Of course, there's no particular problem with them having another match either - it's just a suggestion for time-management.