1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[18 & 19 Jan 2019] Los Angeles Gathering: Homestay (Redondo Beach, California)

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by adamYUKI, Oct 21, 2018.

By adamYUKI on Oct 21, 2018 at 2:14 AM
  1. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    ybV6EAb.jpg
    (Artwork above courtesy of @emperorshadox. He was super generous with his time and did an incredible job!)

Hi guys, I'd like to introduce LAG: HOMESTAY | FINAL SHOWDOWN @ REDONDO BEACH

It was so inspiring getting slaughtered by Homestay during Evo 2018, that I invited him to come play and hang with us. He will come with his wife and they both will do a little sightseeing, but he is looking forward to playing Final Showdown with us.

It would be nice to have a sister event to NYG here on the west coast, where we invite Japanese players, get to know them a bit, and level up our game. (We used to do this with early NYGs during the VF4 era.)

DATES
    • Start: Friday, January 18th, 2019
    • End: Saturday, January 19th, 2019

Residence Inn Redondo Beach
    2420 Marine Avenue
    Redondo Beach, CA 90278
    • 10 rooms (each with 2 queen beds) blocked at a negotiated rate of $139 + tax per night
    • Conference room for casual and tourney play on Jan 18th & 19th - with access until 11pm each night
    • Use this link to book your rooms:
      http://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...9`1/20/19`12/27/18&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes
    • Please reach out to one another here if you would like to share rooms and split costs
    • Amenities: Bar-B-Q and/or picnic area, complimentary hot breakfast, convenience store, vending machines, outdoor pool + whirlpool, cash machine / ATM
    • Manhattan Beach - 3 miles west of hotel
    The hotel is really really nice! Feel free to check it out! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SCHEDULE
    • Jan 17th Thursday: Casuals in hotel rooms, picnic and hanging out at the beach --> lounge & drink!
    • Jan 18th Friday: Team tourney & casuals --> lounge & drink!
    • Jan 19th Saturday: Singles tourney & casuals --> group dinner & lounge & drink!
    We have the meeting space on the Friday and Saturday - until 11pm or so. That's a lot of play time for:

SINGLES TOURNEY FORMAT
    • Double Elimination 2/3
    • 3/5 Winners/Losers Finals
    • 3/5 Grand Finals (2 sets for Losers)

TEAM BATTLE TOURNEY FORMAT

• Double Elimination 2/3
    • 3/5 Winners/Losers Finals

EVENT PRICING
    • Full access to weekend's events: $30
    • Tourney entry fees: $5

THE KILLERS
    By the way, a rogues gallery of VF killers is expected to show up:
    My other homies from NYC VF (@cruzlink2, @Harpooneer, @Tricky, etc.) have also expressed excitement, so I hope they come. With their & Dropkick Events' help, we will stream this, of course.

PRIZES
    1st place - TBA
    2nd place - TBA
    3rd Place - TBA
    Raffle - TBA

STREAM INFORMATION
    Commentators:
    • TBA
    • TBA
    Streamers:

PLAYER REGISTRATION
    http://smash.gg/LAG

DONATIONS
    If you would like to donate some money to help with the organization of this event, please send your contribution via PayPal to paypal.me/AdnanR

Money earned from donations will go towards:
    • Prizes
    • Even organization
    • Those who need help with covering some travel costs
    • Overall experience of the event
    • Group Dinner
    This needs to be made very clear: THIS EVENT IS NON-PROFIT, AND ALL OF THE MONEY EARNED WILL GO TOWARDS THE EVENT AND THE PLAYERS!

I love this game. I'd like to do my little part to keep it going, "by force, if necessary" as my boy @cobratron said to me. Let's do this!

"The Cheeks Are Tight!"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

Comments

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by adamYUKI, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Dennis0201
      Dennis0201
      Are we expecting to have HSA around for the entire two days event or just certain period of time?
    2. adamYUKI
      adamYUKI
      I will be showing Homestay and his wife around until Thursday evening. Depending on how tired he is, he may be interested in getting some games that Thursday evening / night. However, he will be around for Friday, Saturday and even some of Sunday to play with everyone. He's really looking forward to seeing everyone and making new friends.

Thanks for the sheet @Rodnutz. I want as many people to feel Homestay's wrath. We'll have plenty of astroglide or gun oil (whichever lube you prefer) to ease the sessions.

PLEASE NOTE: While playing people, Homestay will take some mental notes so that he can give you feedback after your Ft5 - if you are interested in learning. Basically we're asking him what he "sees / notices" when playing each of us. This will likely help you level up your game, so jot down some notes, SUCKAS.
      Kruza and Dennis0201 like this.
    3. adamYUKI
      adamYUKI
      Hi DV! It'll be nice to see you again. As one of the guys noted above, there will be casuals in peeps' hotel rooms, so please ask around here to confirm who & when. The conference room will be available to us Friday morning, and everything should be all set up by 12pm.
      Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    4. cobratron
      cobratron
      Everyone flying to LAG to avoid missing your flight because of the gov't shutdown please head to the airport extra early just in case. Airports all over the country are seeing the longest lines due to TSA worker shortage. Not only that but the bad weather will make it worse. This at Atlanta which is the biggest airport hub in the US:

Uploaded January 14, 2019

Holly Lyle, a 23-year-old traveling to San Francisco for work on Monday, told The Daily Beast how she arrived to the airport almost three hours before her flight, expecting delays.

Several hours later, Lyle finally got through security. And she missed her flight.

“I arrived at 7:05 a.m., and was directed to several different lines,” she recounted. “I didn’t get through security until about 10:25 a.m., and I missed my flight that was at 9:40.”

[​IMG]
      Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
      oneida, adamYUKI and Oioron like this.
    5. oneida
      oneida
      fuck Trump. see you all Friday
    6. KilgoreTheFish
      KilgoreTheFish
      I just checked with Montage and he said he's cool with hosting casuals in our room today. I probably won't be checking in until closer to 5 PM or so. Send me a message on here for room info and my phone number, or better yet message me on Discord: KilgoreTheFish #0001. I respond very quickly to Discord.
    7. KilgoreTheFish
      KilgoreTheFish
      Water will be shut down in the LAG hotel from 11 AM to 3 PM tomorrow (Friday)! Plan accordingly!

Also, I recommend using the So Cal Virtua Fighter Discord server at least temporarily this weekend to coordinate with each other and keep track of important announcements: https://discord.gg/j7v6sfk
    8. adamYUKI
      adamYUKI
      Room 302 is the other room where we will have casuals.
    9. KilgoreTheFish
      KilgoreTheFish
      FRIDAY
      11 AM - Casuals
      12 PM - Homestay Dojo I (Keep questions brief for Homestay)
      1 PM - Lunch Break (venue still open)
      2 PM - Homestay Dojo II
      3 PM - Random Select Tournament
      5 PM - 3v3 Team Tournament
      9 PM: FT10 Grudge Match Exhibitions Rodnutz vs Denkai
      adamYUKI vs Gentleman Thief
      Open slots for requests

SATURDAY
      12 PM: VF4 tournament
      1 PM: VF2 tournament (on stream)
      12 PM - 3 PM: Okamoto Food Truck
      3 PM: Check-In for VF5 Singles Closes
      3:30pm: VF 5 Singles Begins
      oneida, Kruza and Jason Elbow like this.
    10. Jason Elbow
      Jason Elbow
      Oh good shit! I was looking for this!
    11. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      What's the stream channel?
    12. Kruza
      Kruza
      MadeManG74 likes this.
    13. oneida
      oneida
      I'm just chilling in Nautilus if anyone wants to mash
    14. Dennis0201
      Dennis0201
      My flight delay…
      So no HSA dojo on Sat? Not sure if I can make it today section....
    15. Kruza
      Kruza
      Casual VF5FS play is underway in the auditorium room Nautilus for anyone at LAG now.

I just showed KigloreTheFish this question, and his quick answer is "it's possible." He'll be back to explain more about this.

Kruza
      Dennis0201 likes this.
    16. KilgoreTheFish
      KilgoreTheFish
      Adam Yuki and Homestay were delayed a bit today, so we'll probably have to move a Homestay Dojo session to tomorrow. I'm planning on doing it after the VF 5 singles tournament ends, since we don't have anything planned after that.
      Rodnutz likes this.
    17. Kruza
      Kruza
    18. cobratron
    19. Shang
      Shang
      The stream presentation was excellent yesterday. Thank you to the person(s) responsible for the stream.
      Jason Elbow, Rodnutz and adamYUKI like this.
    20. adamYUKI
      adamYUKI