1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

2 character=Vanessa Louis ......capoeira

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, May 19, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Don't tell me they took sumo out to implement tekken's capoeira. An other hint that Vf4 is heavily inspired by other fighters (their success)..........

Yu Suzuki has personally lifted at least some of the fog surrounding the second new character in Virtua Fighter 4. By now all of us are familiar with Lei Fei, the monk, but just who is the mysterious female fighter? Vanessa Louis, says Mr. Suzuki. The only details offered are that she hails from Brazil and her occupation is security guard. It was inferred that she was more "powerful" than the other two female fighters.

So, let the speculation begin. Given that she is Brazilian (though the "Louis" last name is rather odd) the first inclination is to suspect she practices Capoeira, everyone's favorite late-90's overpopularized niche martial art. This is perhaps a touch too obvious and with certain OTHER 3d fighter's already touting cheesy Capoiera fighters, even more unlikely that VF4 would bite so directly. Instead, with the information of Ms. Louis being more "powerful" than the preexisting female fighters, I suggest she is a grappler, akin to Wolf and Jeffry.

Those of us familiar with the Ultimate Fighting Championships will remember Royce Gracie, a practitioner of the family's Gracie style of Jiu Jitsu, hailing from none other than Brazil. Those familiar with Jiu Jitsu are aware of the art's basis of throws, holds, and use of the opponent's weight and power against them. Though harkening images of Aoi's Aikido-related art, it is important to know that Jiu Jitsu does require physical strength. With what details we have about Vanessa at this point, this is where my money is.

source : fighters.net

2. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

The "Capoeira" in Tekken is not really capoeira except for about 5 of Eddies moves. Capoeira is a much closer in style...and I would love to see it implimented in VF4....I'd love to see a lot that is NOT happening in vf4 go away...but a capoeira character would be cool.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

3. Dodee

Dodee Member

I *never* said in that article that she is probably capoiera. It was necessary for me to address Capoiera, it being Brazillian and all, but the use of it was to illustrate that she probably IS NOT Capoiera.

dodee.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Now i understand why the maestre who was motion-captured in tekken wasn't all to happy about eddy....
    do you practice capoeira?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

yeah , i agree if Yu suzuki said that she is a strong woman (with a massive body!?)...it wouldn't be the ideal body constitution for a capoeira-fighter........

6. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

the fighting style could be something like commando grappling-type (yeh, i know that doesn't sound technically like an actual martial art). vanessa carries a gun, right?

7. Shadowdean

Yes...capoeira angloa for about a year now...
    you can see the site
    www.capoeira-angola.org

8. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Supposedly, according to today's IGN PS2 update, she will practice Muay Thai.

I'm pretty happy about the news, I've wanted to see a traditional "powerful" martial art in the game (OK so we have Akira, and Lau too I guess). I've actually been studying a bit of Muay Thai myself for the last few months. Hopefully they'll be able to give her some nice knee and elbow attacks that are useful.

9. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Can you say "Bruce Irvin"?!
    Aren't there enough knees and elbows in VF?
    Seriously, if this is true, I can't wait to see what Yu and company do with her.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Mui Tai would be cool...........but I would also like "cross funk" grappling fighting style. but somehow wierd, Mrs Louis has got a massiv constitution, for Mui tai , a body like sarah's Body would be better....

cya

11. Shadowdean

No..not Mua-Thi elbows and knees...all are rushing elbows...Thi boxing are stationary and use hip twists...and all their knees are done from the grapple/clinch.

12. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://ps2.ign.com/news/35232.html>a pic of Vanessa</A>
    for those who haven't seen it already.

-Chanchai

13. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I was only kidding, but thanks for the clarification. Again I can't wait to see what Yu and company do with the new character.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=blue>DOG</font color=blue>

14. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

she looks like a king of fighters character so i like it a lot.

[​IMG]
    too cool to be in vf? nah...

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

--proud member of CvfC--

[​IMG]

15. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

My god....I don't know if I like it or not....certainly a HUGE departure as far as VF character design is concerned.

16. Shadowdean

Yah, I just wanted to clarify that...It will be interesting to see what "art" this character practices.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

How about this theory....

I'm beginning to think that vf4 is going to end up being Yu's first attempt at making a vf vs. tekken/doa game.
    to lei fie 's moves are so much like a DOA character with the very linear punches and kicks. So this new character , whether it be a grappler (king) or cap (eddie), then this is the actual first attempt to make vf vs. others.
    The rest of the vf cast seems to play similar to thier roots, and the new gameplay will only allow other tekken/doa players to be able to somewhat adapt to vf. Only this game may have its usually high depth..

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I LOVE IT!!!

Yes, I do like what I see so far. Take-no-prisoners chick practicing muay-thai....nice.