1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

20 Reasons VF Remains The Best FG Option....

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Mar 25, 2020.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Although Virtua Fighter: is not the FG that everybody else is playing, doesn't have a large online community,doesn't have the largest offline tournaments, receives little to no continuing support from Sega its producer, doesn't have the largest character roster, doesn't have a full version that runs on current gen consoles,doesn't feature scantily clad lollipops,doesn't feature the excitement of explosions, fireballs, sparks, and whirlwinds:unsure:

Here are 20 reasons why Virtua Fighter is still the best FG playable on the planet.
    • Virtua Fighter is elite
    • It is the most balanced 3D arcade fighting game ever made
    • It has the most diverse character roster of any 3D arcade fighting game
    • Its offensive options and defensive options are comprehensive and second to none.
    • The graphics are stunning and timeless
    • The animations are the highest quality ever to be featured in a 3D arcade fighting game
    • Every character's move list, is sophisticated, nuanced, potent and exciting
    • The VF players and community are among the best fighting gamers in the world
    • VFDC is the most comprehensive , knowledge intensive resource for a particular fighting game on the Internet bar none.
    • The fighting styles in VF are distinctive, authentic, and in the best tradition of the martial arts
    • Each stage is both thoughtful and beautiful as well as engaging
    • The netcode is state of the art as fighting games go
    • Its has the best, most complete and diverse AI ever featured in a fighting game
    • Virtua Fighter is a unique martial art in its own right
    • The series offers some of the most innovative single player options ever put in a 3D fighting game
    • Its easy to play but requires dedication, passion and commitment to master
    • It is the viceroy and progenitor of 3D arcade fighting games
    • VF matches provide the most intense & authentic 3D Arcade Martial Arts action available to spectators
    • VF character customizations are simultaneously bonafide and brilliant
    • With Very few exceptions the people that play VF are some of the most decent and good people found in the FGC.

As long as VF can be played, it will be played, and it should be played because without question its the best of the best when it comes to 3D arcade fighting games. And no matter how quiet the scene might appear at times ,if you look closely and listen intently you will find Virtua Fighter Masters, Students, and Disciples all over the planet:cool:

2. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

Cool but the series still is hard to get into thanks to SEGA not making the games easily obtainable on current systems.

3. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Yea, that is a problem for many. We've been programmed to get rid of our system as soon as new one comes out. I personally have never done that. I have a couple of PS4s, but I also have my PS 1 in mint condition, and multiple PS2s, and PS3s. I still have 2 PS3's that are running Linux! I use the cell processors in some of my research.

But lots of folks trade in their systems for the next new thing. However, this means that you can find previous gen consoles, in pawn shops, Ebay, etc.

I don't know about Xbox live, but there are still plenty of ppl playing PS3 on PSN for many games.

We need to get high quality virtual machines for all of the previous gen consoles:ninja:

4. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

Yeah sometimes it's better to keep your old systems around but even then not having the games on the newest platform and PC is a huge problem, it makes it very hard to get new players in.

There's also the problems of arcade only titles or the ones that never got an arcade perfect port, Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned is a great game which some consider the best in the series but it never left Japanese arcades and even if you got the actual arcade machine most features like "being able to use moves from older VF games " are totally inaccessible due to SEGA shutting down VFNet and cutting support for VF4FT Card stations.
    Half of the game is literally lost media at this point.

5. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

What does that mean?

masterpo likes this.
  6. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elite

Yup Elite, VF is Elite. VF is in a very special class, its in the Smithsonian, its the trailblazer for 3D arcade fighting games, it sets the bar for what a quality 3D fighting game can be. It was the first of its kind, it's players are among the best FG players in the world. VF was the pioneer for many FG features that are now considered standard in FGs. This site VFDC is the most comprehensive resource website dedicated to a fighting game among all the websites that have ever been dedicated to a fighting game. Although there hasn't been a new VF since 2012 VF masters, students, and disciples still study, learn, and play the game vigorously and passionately. No doubt about it, VF is Elite as are the dedicated players of VF.

@Thesch28 Yea, I'm with you on that. Its unfortunate that Sega is either unwilling or unable to properly support Virtua Fighter the way it should be supported. Its very unfortunate. So we go with what we got. I will keep my PS2s, and PS3s functioning just to continue to play VF. And if the time comes where I can't keep them functioning, I'll FN write a VM that can run VF under Linux:cool:

7. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I love your enthusiasm and passion for the series, but this is technically a fan site. Honestly, a topic criticizing the series, stating what needs to be improved, ideas for next iteration and even topics hating on SEGA (kidding about this one) are.more relevant than ones to convince us "already fans) how great VF is.

I love VF and I still play VF5FS regularly. I think it aged beautiful and will continue to play it to regardless of the series future.

I really think you shouldn't isolate yourself to a single series despite how much you think it's "superior". There are things to enjoy in other franchises and things for VF to learn from. You don't have to love Tekken's lore ( I don't.... I still think VF should never have a story mode :sneaky:) to enjoy the different yet enjoyable system it offers ,or maybe you won't!! but again the world has enough for VF + the other franchises out there.

In fact, I started with Tekken as a kid and only started VF with 4. I would have never played VF if I was ignorant to the existence of other efforts in the genre.

beanboy, masterpo and Seminasuke like this.
  8. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    @Ali, hey we're in agreement about much.

First, I don't think VF is perfect. There is much room for improvement. (y) But that said, VF is better, a lot better than every other arcade fighter out there. However, being the best, does not mean there is no room for improvement, it only means that you are better than your competition. And that the matches you have to worry about are mirror matches.

Second, if you've ever looked at my game profile on PSN you would know that by no means am I restricted to a single game. I started out with MK, played and got good at it. The last title I bought was MK vs DC and I own every version between that and the original MK. I own and am fairly competent with Tekken, Tekken2, Tekken3, Tekken 4, Tekken 5, Tekken 6, and Tekken 7. I own and am also competent with Soul Calibur II through Soul Calibur 6. I own and am more than competent with UFC 2009, UFC 2010, UFC 3 Undisputed, EA's UFC, EA's UFC2, and EA's UFC3. I'm ok with DOA2 Hardcore, DOA5 and DOA5LR. I own and occasionally play a few KOF games. So when I make an assessment about VF's superiority its not simply mere fanboy talk, its the result of literally decades of playing, enjoying, analyzing, and comparing FGs.;) I have many many thousands of hours into FG from both the 2D and 3D variety. My comparisons are not just as a player, but also as a software engineer (my day job)

My posts about VF's elite status are not trying to convince anyone of anything. They are merely declarations of fact. Statements for the record. :cool: They provide a historic footprint for anyone looking back at the phenomenon of arcade fighting games. They are meant to preserve rather than convince. I've beat many VF players and I've been beat by many VF players. I've won against one or two very high level players and I've lost against a lot of VF noobs I am a master at losing though. My Dead Duck Broken Wing kungfu is my signature style. When I play against others online my goal has never been to win but rather to test, expose, reveal and demonstrate what the other player knows about himself or herself. However, when I play in live gatherings (and I do so regularly) I am formidable:sneaky: So while I don't pretend to post as an expert or even top level VF fighter, I am a connoisseur of the fighting game genre and when I say VF is the best that is an expert opinion:cool:

I have a loooooong wish list of improvements for VF and over the years I've posted most of them on VFDC:D

If we ever see a new VF game I hope some of my suggestions make it into the game. But if Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is the last VF game to ever be produced it should be noted that it is superior in every respect (except for story mode, and character customization e.g SC) to every single one of its contemporaries;)

And TBH I'm simply proud to be a VF player especially when I look at some of the trash that is masquerading as fighting game out there. And many of my enthusiastic and passionate posts are simply an expression of that pride. I consider my knowledge and skill in VF a legitimate personal achievement and accomplishment:)

9. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

@masterpo
    Nice list. But you forget number "21" which is a very important one.

The game is FUN.;)

10. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Can anyone come up with number 22?:p

11. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

Yeah, those XBL Online menus. No, wait, It has the least amount of characters of any modern fighting game. No, I got it: the story mode. No, ummm, the subtitles for foreign languages. How about, the fanboys who make elitist list, but never actually play the game online, and aren't elite.

Hey, which do you like better: writing about VF or actually playing it?