1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

2d fighting games

Discussion in 'General' started by Sonnestark, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Sonnestark

Sonnestark Member

PSN:
    FieryAlepu
    I looked around a bit and it appears there's no "official" thread regarding this type of games.
    I thought I'd open one since just a few days ago I bought KoFXIII and been trying to get into it ever since.

So go ahead and discuss whatever you feel like it about those games.It'd be nice if we could exchange information and advices on those games(although i can't offer much from my part as I have very little experience on 2d fighting games at the current moment)

I started giving 2d fighting games a shot around 2011 with Blazblue Continuum Shirt,which I played a bit online and with a friend.Then for a couple or so years I didn't play it at all and just now I got myself KoFXIII which is giving me a harder time online(than BBCS) as I often get matched against players who are levels above me.

beanboy likes this.
  2. Optimus_Cack

Optimus_Cack Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SquareNinja
    honestly you could probably just search for a specific 2d game and find a respective thread or discussion

3. Lygophilia

Lygophilia Well-Known Member

I liked Weaponlord, which took time for me to get into eventually. It was more of a successor to the game Barbarian, from the 1980s. So fortunately for me, the character designs weren't a more convenient influence from the mid 1990s, opposed to the rest.

It was kind of ahead from depth to complexity measure. Every strike can be parried and blocked, throws included. Every character had about 10 to 12 special moves. The skilled combo performance, the SNES version especially, were considerably more strict in timing than the rest of the fighting games I've played. The motion controls, every character had most of the time a special move command where you had to hold either a medium to strong attack button, then motion the rest of the command to register the attack. So basically, these aspects and the fundamentals are where I had to readjust my perspective on 2d fighting games, because I was use to the familiarity that modern ones had. However, Street Fighter and more so the King of Fighters series helped me with the transition.

It's too bad that the this game was released the year of the first Playstation and on low powered consoles during the time, because it was released as arcade perfect on it, which meant frames were cut and so were extra characters. Arcade mode from a difficulty setting, there was a story expansion for each characters before entering story mode with them. After spending alot of time with Weaponlord at the time unfortunately, I can't go back to any other 2d ones.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    beanboy likes this.
  4. Optimus_Cack

Optimus_Cack Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SquareNinja
    weaponlord is a game i have never played, but some people have told me it's surprisingly not awful. beyond sparse knowledge of the game mechanics, i know almost nothing about it.

5. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

@Sonnestark
    I actually play Blaze Blu too. But I haven't played it in years.:p
    I play with Noel and Rachel Alucard and with Taokaka too.
    Noel and Rachel are alot of fun to play.

I also play Fighters History 1, which was created by Data East.
    I play with Ray, Ryoko, Samchay, Marstarious, Jean and Clown.

Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting, I play Ryu, Chun Li, Dhalsim, Blanka
    and Victor Sagat. And I play, Cammy and Dee Jay, in SSF2 Turbo.

Vampire saviour

2d fighting games are nice.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  6. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    prior to VF i was a third strike junkie

7. beanboy

Before I ever played Virtua Fighter, I used to play alot
    of Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting and X-men vs. Street Fighter. Good times.:D

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  8. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

While we're necromancing here; my second fave fighter after VF is Super Turbo. I need to play more of that jank game.

9. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

3rd strike

10. The_Nth_Degree

The_Nth_Degree Active Member

Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side. The best 2d fighter ever made.

11. beanboy

Fighters History 1 and Fighters History Dynamite aka. Karnov's Revenge, are really nice fighting games. One thing I like about this fighting game series, is that it has alot of interesting characters. And it is easy to pull off combos. And the combos in these games, are easier to do than in Street Fighter.

12. beanboy

Like alot of gamers, I was never a fan of the SF3 games.
    But I like SF3 Double Impact on dreamcast, more than Third Strike.
    I'm also glad they decided, to put Chun Li in the game too.

13. beanboy

I like Guilty Gear. But the series has become, too nerfed over the years, for me to enjoy. However, I'm kinda glad, a new Guilty Gear game has been announced though. But like Maximillian Dood and others, I'm a bit worried of this new entry. Because sometime last year, the Japanese guy behind Guilty Gear mentioned, that the next Guilty Gear/Blaze Blue, would be a bit dumbed down and simpler, to reach a broader audience.

Interestingly, I didn't even know, that they apparently, recently nerfed the characters, in Granblue Versus. Strangely, I kinda expected that to happen to Grand Blue Versus. But if it's true, it's kinda sad though. And that really sucks.

Now I'm wondering, if that anti nerfing rant video, Max Dood made the other day, had to do with Grand Blue, or Samurai Showdown.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  14. beanboy

I think we need, some more barbarian warrior, 2d fighting games, similar to that Weapon Lord fighting game. A Golden Axe fighting game, would be nice though.:)

Okay sega, stop playing around! Make it happen!:p

Lygophilia likes this.
  15. Lygophilia

Lygophilia Well-Known Member

There was a Golden Axe fighting game back in the mid 1990s. For arcade, then released for the Sega Saturn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGRA_z29SlQ

beanboy likes this.
  16. beanboy

Holy crap! I missed out on alot of games back then.:p
    That barbarian hero dudes super move, with the sand tornado is super cool!

So the last boss is called Golden Axe? Wow!
    I wish he fought with an actual golden axe though. But maybe he became the golden axe, so that is why he doesn't fight with one. I will admit, that Golden Axe fighting game, is sick!:)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  17. beanboy

When I was small, King of Fighters was a series I was interested, in getting into in the late 90's. The same with Fatal Fury. But somehow, I never really got to doing so. When KOF dream match, KOF evolution, and Garou Mark of the Wolves, came to the dreamcast, for some strange reason, I was interested in playing them. It was kinda fun though.

I like K, Athena, Kula, King, Angel, Ryo and Bao alot though.
    Rock, Blue Mary, Hotaru Futaba, Bonne Jenet and Terry as well.

I like Mai as well, but I was never a fan of her backstory:p.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  18. beanboy

I played Blaze Blue, back in 2012 and 2013, on my laptop.
    I like playing Noel Vermillion, Rachel Alucard, and Taokaka.

PS: Oh boy. I just realised, that months ago, I made a similar reply.:holla::p

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  19. beanboy

I think I might start back playing, the old Guilty Gear games.
    The capcom vs marvel, cross over games and Capcom Vs. Snk 1+2.

And I might revisit, Last Blade 2 and Garou Mark of the Wolves as well.

20. beanboy

I played King of Fighters dream match, aka KOF 98 today.
    Boy that game is fun. Athena, Leona and King is my team.

After playing it, I can understand why KOF fans, love and highly rate this game, over the sequels. That last boss dude Rugal, is one dirty fighter. Even on beginner, holy crap, he is cheap. Poor Leona didn't even stand a chance. But my Athena kicked his butt, and sent him back to the record studio. No free concerts for that dude. Lol!:ROTFL:

Overall, KOF98 is a good game. I highly rate it.:)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    jimi Claymore likes this.