1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

2d fighting games

Discussion in 'General' started by Sonnestark, Jan 13, 2014.

1. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I've been playing the dreamcast version, of CvS1 for the past two weeks. It's alot of fun. And the backgrounds in that game are really amazing.

But after playing it I agree with alot of gamers, that nerfing and removing lots of moves, abilities and super moves, from characters from both franchises, was a silly idea and kinda spoils the game. But so far, the game is nice.

After playing it again, I kinda understand, why alot of gamers like CvS1 more than CvS2. I also noticed for a long time now, something that gamers have said for years, that CvS1 has a style, feel and charm, that CvS2 doesn't have. And I still find that really interesting. Interestingly enough, Max dood has said the same thing a few times, when playing CvS1 with the doods.

I'm really glad I returned to this classic game again. I'm going to play some more later. I still have a ton of stuff to buy and unlock.:)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  2. Emptyeyes

Emptyeyes Well-Known Member

Ive recently got into Chaos Breaker, but I take a liking in games with a primitive atmosphere regardless.

3. beanboy

Played some KOF 2000 Friday night and yesterday. I'm trying to learn Kasumi and Bao. The stages in that game are really nice too.

I bought Evil Ryu in capcom vs snk 1 last night. He's known as EX Ryu in the US release. And holy crap! The damage from that raging demon is super ridiculous. Like wooah!:holla:

I like normal Ryu more, but Evil Ryu is definitely my kinda character.(y)
    Also, I can't wait to unlock and try out, cvs1 Akuma. I heard he is cheap as heck in that game.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  4. beanboy

Wow! I haven't played that game.

5. Emptyeyes

Emptyeyes Well-Known Member

It's interesting. It had rpg elements of it's time and I liked sword clashes for this game. It was made by Eolith who took part in the development of some of the king of fighters games.

beanboy likes this.
  6. beanboy

I was watching Max and the Doods, and one of those playthrough channels, play a fighting game called Voltage Fighter the other day. That game is interesting. Apparently, when you defeat your opponent, you get one or some of their super abilities. Now that is an interesting mechanic. It kinda feels rpg'ish in a way too.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  7. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

The last Samsho is great !

Since i came back on it last week (after months without really played it) i can't stop playing it lol...

It has improved a lot imo with all the new characters now, verry underrated and fun game.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    beanboy likes this.
  8. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

LOL I actually fired the game today as well after a while of not playing...

Super responsive and fun game with tons of mind games... The cast is good as well...

Ukyo and Kyoshiro both have great themes. The OST is just amazing.

I feel they made the final boss a lot easier tho...

beanboy and Sonic The Fighters like this.
  9. Sonic The Fighters

Sonic The Fighters Well-Known Member

10. beanboy

I had fun watching some KOF 2002, and CvS1 playthroughs yesterday. In KOF 2002, Rugal blows up his ship again. This time it's a giant aircraft. Lol. That guy probably has alot of insurance.:ROTFL:

11. beanboy

Speaking of 2d fighting games. Those programmers, gotta stop this, "let's make super cheap AI for the boss characters, especially, if you put the game on easy mode." I put Guilty Gear X, KOF Evo and a few other old KOF games on easy mode, and the boss characters in those games, literally predicted every move I was doing, and beat me easily. I was like dude,.....what the heck? Lol!:ROTFL:

12. beanboy

So after many years, I finally played a Street Fighter 3 game again. Last night I played on emulator, a game I haven't played in years, the dreamcast game SF3 Double Impact.

I will admit, I have to agree that Double Impact, is alot more fun than 3rd Strike. And yep, gamers were right, Sean and even Hibiki, are alot more fun to play, and way better in this game, in contrast to their boring 3rd Strike versions. And this game also has moves, that are literally not present in 3rd Strike. Also the stages are really cool to look, and the game feels fuller than 3rd Strike too.

Despite the emulator lag, I had fun playing it, and believe it or not, was able to parry some moves and alot of basketballs, which despite the ridiculous claims, made by people from the FGC and Evo overhype, is not as hard or complex to do, as they claim it to be. So don't get intimidated with parrying. Parrying in 3rd Strike and Double Impact, is very similar to using reversals/holds, in Dead or Alive. Maybe that is why it was kinda easy for me to pull off.:ROTFL:

But to be honest, even with the overhyped parrying, this game and 3rd Strike gameplay wise, and I'll be really honest here, are a bit more basic and watered down, in comparison to the old SF2 Championship Edition and Hyper Fighting games. But by themselves, these SF3 games are not that bad. Oh and I beat it with Ryu twice. I like his ending. It has really nice pics. Ryu in the Oakland farm areas.:D

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  13. beanboy

I will admit, I might not be a fan of the artstyle, but the artwork in SF3 New Generation, and SF3 2nd Impact, are really good. And the backgrounds, are really colourful and amazing.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  14. Iwazaru

Iwazaru Active Member

Sadly 3rd strike didn't include some of the most gorgeous backgrounds from ng/2i

beanboy likes this.
  15. beanboy

Yeah. That was such a downgrade artwise.:meh:

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  16. beanboy

Speaking of SF3 Second Impact, I listened to most of the soundtracks yesterday evening. I actually prefer alot of the tracks in this game, alot more than the ones in 3rd Strike. Even though I like Elena's, Ibuki's, Makoto's and Akuma's 3rd Strike soundtracks alot, especially Elena's. That beats in my head track, and sunset African safari stage, go really well together. Nice work capcom.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Iwazaru likes this.
  17. beanboy

All of these years and I still like World Heroes.
    It is still one of my top favourite games. That game is so cool.

18. beanboy

One thing I dislike about fighting bosses in certain 2d games, is that they are cheap. In KOF games, even on the easiest difficulty, the bosses predict nearly all of your moves, and fight like there is no tomorrow. Omega Rugal, Krizalid, I am looking at both of you, and your pals from other KOF games. Gill from SF3 New Generation, is one of the worst culprits on easy mode. To be honest, he is actually easier to fight, in 2nd Impact and Third Strike.:p

So what do you guys think of cheap 2d bosses?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  19. beanboy

One thing these 2d fighting games need, is a proper deflecting parry move. The ones that are currently in 2d fighting games, like the SF3 games, are okay but kinda gimmicky.

20. beanboy

I think 2d fighting games, need to go back to their 2d old school roots.