1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

2d fighting games

Discussion in 'General' started by Sonnestark, Jan 13, 2014.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    The most I've ever played of 2D is MK. Actually I've played a lot of MK. I was given Tekken vs Street Fighter as a gift, never rly played it though. If MK was 3D I probably would play it regularly. I dunno the new UFC 4 has a MK type stage, and its nice and fun to play in. 4 me it was very hard to play 2D once I really got into 3D.

2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Yeah, same here. In my case, I played 2d games like Mortal Kombat 2 alot more than SF2. But the dang cheap Mortal Kombat 2 cpu was the worst. You had to use patterns to beat them.

masterpo likes this.
  3. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    I definitely dig the whole MK vibe, the story mode, character back stories, I really wish they would just make it a 3D fighting system. I could even forgive the fireballs:LOL:

beanboy likes this.
  4. beanboy

And the......fatalities!:holla:

masterpo likes this.
  5. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    beanboy likes this.
  6. beanboy

Yeah. I have seen people on the net talking about it.

Aye. I just watched the vid. Dude, that stage definitely looks MK'ish.:eek::holla:
    I wonder if netherealm studios and EA, have some sort of collaboration going on.

Edit: Oh no, I forgot about the rumours, of EA wanting to buy netherealm studios. If that rumour is true, then that is lame like a flame.:p

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    masterpo likes this.
  7. beanboy

Wow! I'm curious as to what made you not play.
    Note, I have never played that game before. Lol!

I have heard alot of mixed opinions on that game. Some gamers say the game sucks. Others say the game is cool, but feels bland and could have been better. Others say they want a sequel.

8. nou

nou Well-Known Member

Game is pretty much dead, but it had 64 players recently because of the sale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/871200/FIGHTING_EX_LAYER/

This was the company that started the Street Fighter EX series, after breaking off from Capcom after Sf2. I had fun with the demo a couple years back on the PS4. Rollback netcode was added within the last year.

I just bought it right now. $10 vs $40 was too good to pass up and the online is free. There's only one DLC character and that's Terry Bogard at $4.99.

9. beanboy

I haven't played Fighting EX Layer yet.

10. beanboy

90's 2d fighting games are really cool. I was playing the dreamcast version of darkstalkers for three days straight. The colourful 2d graphics style and nutty gameplay, really gives games like this a charm, that is difficult to replicate using 3d graphics. Those game companies had alot of really good fighting game ideas and creativity back then.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  11. beanboy

One thing that always bugged me back in the 90's golden age of gaming, is the cheap last bosses, moreso in 2d fighting games, who predict nearly every move you do, break the rules, and do stuff not possible for players to be able to do in the game. SF Alpha 3, Superior Soldiers, KOF and Guilty Gear X are good examples of this. Those programmers obviously knew what they were doing.:p

12. beanboy

Me, I still like my 2d fighting games.

13. Emptyeyes

Emptyeyes Well-Known Member

I like the recent Samurai Showdown 5 from the collection. I tend to love and prefer games that are in a primitive setting which can take place in the feudal era or ancient times.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  14. beanboy

Yeah, I agree with that. Setting the game, in an old ancient era, gives these type of games an epic feel.

15. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
  16. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dreamiestboat
    XBL:
    tehmarcerer
    Sweet!

beanboy likes this.
  17. nou

nou Well-Known Member

18. beanboy

Lol!:p

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  19. beanboy

I hope 2d fighting games make a return.
    Sometimes I prefer them over 3d fighting games.

20. beanboy

I wish Japanese fighting game companies, that made 2d fighting games back in the 90's, would go back to classic 2d. I always digged that style of art and gameplay. There was something unusually cool and expressive about that style. It's difficult for me to explain.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021