1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[3 Aug 2013] Sega Cup Europe (London)

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by MarlyJay, Apr 22, 2013.

Sega Cup Europe
Start Date: 3 Aug 2013 12:00 PM
End Date: 4 Aug 2013 12:00 AM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

Dugdale centre
London EN2 6DS

Posted By: MarlyJay

Confirmed Attendees: 30
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Now I feel sorry for not sticking around for that big group pic, but I was feeling really ill by the end of the top8 and decided to head straight to the hotel with combolammas.. :(

Good show everyone!

ps. Mister had the best t-shirt

Mister likes this.
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    That was the first impression. I got really scarred in the first moment seeing you; before the name clicked :D

3. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

I finished to edit my post :D now i wrote down more or less everything i wanted to discuss.

4. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi

loooool reminds me the first krye's impression.
    I edit my post too

5. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns

I'm down for some regular VF offline session in London. I could even host sessions for VFDC peeps at my place. Maybe I will make a thread and see if anyone is down...

6. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Did you see the [2][P] one he was wearing on the Friday?

I want a [6][6][6][P] one :D

cobratron and Mister like this.
  7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    We've been doing sessions at the hog every other week for ages. :(

8. DJ FU

DJ FU New Member

I'd be up for starting a group on facebook, seems easier to organise stuff through there we have one for 3rd strike at the HOG and works pretty well. It's easy to miss posts and stuff on a forum plus I don't check here on the regs.

9. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns

Really?? I had no idea. Okay once my controller issues are resolved I will get down there :D. Which weeks is it?

10. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns

Why? There is a whole website here...

11. DWR

DWR Well-Known Member

XBL:
    DrVonLee
    Soooo guys, I don't really know where to start with this, just saying that was an AMAZING experienge won't do it justice. I am not a well known player or member of the community, I don't even have an xbl gold account anymore, and last year I almost dropped the game, but since I decided to move here in London I was like, what the hell, let's play with the big boys!

And man that was an experience...

But even without spending a word on how amazing was to discover (or re-discover) the game playing with so many good players, I can write a couple of books about the kindness, joy, respect, and that strange feeling of being a big crazy family of friends instead of almost random people from all over the world that meet to play a game.

The uk crew: AMAZING. Jide and Marlon were doing back and forth between the HoG and the station to make sure no one got lost, you guys are so kind and cool that meeting you just made me feel better about living in London, and I am really looking forward to spend a lot of time at the HoG, maybe I can even learn how to push the block button! I haven't played or spent much time with Rory, and it's a shame, but I really look forward to see you again very soon man.

Feck and Ash (kaiser) (damn there were a lot af ash!), I chatted a LOT with you guys (I'm kinda chatty, I know) and again, I was amazed to see so much hospitality and kindness. And I'd like to give my special "THANK YOU award" to Ash Kaiser (yes, another prize for you!) who helped me moving my stuff around the city, taking care of my baggages, and talking about One Piece under the rain of London. Man you are a great person, and not only phisically, walking around London with you and Carla (and mister, but he does not count) was a blast! Always remember that whatever you do there is a small italian guy who will be always grateful to you. Thank you!

The french crew + Krye: God you guys are funny, I'm very sorry that we could not find Chibitox yesterday morning, things went quite crazy with phones and all, but you all made this week end really amazing to me. I was really touched by the fact that you put together Virtua Fighter France following our work on Virtua Fighter Italia, there are so many good players in france, and to discover that each of you was a really nice person was incredible. Except for Segata. He is a bad person and he knows it! Krye I'm putting you here because there were'nt many players from the Netherlands, I hope you understood how to correctly kill an octopus man! I had a very, very good time with you guys, I really hope we can communicate more and organize other european events together.

The german crew: We haven't spent a lot of time together but I had a couple of casual sessions with you guys, it is very nice to see so much passion, I hope to meet you again if we ever organize something in the near future!

The nothern crew: Let's put Chief Gutti here for anagraphic reasons ( dude I envy your collection of passports!). I annoyed the hell out of you (Manjimaru and Combo) chatting about norway, italy, cultures, and stuff. But you guys were so patient and cool to me that I cannot stop! Plus, there is a saying in italy that's like "If you go to the sea, you wont find water". That's us looking for a sandwich in a supermarket! Gutti you are such a joyful guy that your face should be on VF6 cover, everytime I talked with you you just put a smile in my face, and your sarah is amazing man! (but I'll save the game considerations for later).

The japan crew: Again, I'll put Atsushi here even if he choose to represent UK (way to go man!). It was amazing to talk and play with you guys, It's like a dream coming true or something. Haven't played with Atsushi but I had a nice chat with you man and really hope to see you very soon at the HoG! Chofu did not speak english but was so kind trying to explain to me what sarah can do against taka, and god that was insightful! Itazan was very nice to me, played some casuals, and I think he was the perfect example of what it means to be used to this kind of events. We were all quite shy around him, he is basically a legend, but when you have the chance to talk to him, he shows a very nice attitude.

The italian crew: Guys, do I actually have to say something? I think we are beyond words now. We are Friends. Brothers. Mister I already miss your lazy ass, and Godel, fuck you are one of the most beautiful person I ever met, even if we always lived far away, I know you are always there for me. I was so happy to have you at my place before the tournament, to hang around with you guys, and I will always remember the past week as one of the best time of my life. Mister do not go at too many homoerotic parties, and take care. I'll wait here for you if you get tired of Italy ;)

I am sorry if some of you guys did not get mentioned, I talked and played with a lot of amazing people but it's hard to pull it all together! But let's talk about the game!

As I said, last year was kinda busy to me with work and stuff. I dropped the game, playing it only with mister every 5-6 weeks or so. I decided to partecipate just because as a fan, I could not miss this unique event. And god was I right.

I had a lot of casuals with a bunch of people, and I was happy to see that I'm not as bad as I thought. I'm going to call some names here, but EVERYONE was quite amazing. A lot of characters were used (although Lion is maybe the most popular), and I saw so many playstyles that confirmed my idea that, in this game, you are not against a character but against a person.

I played against Blossy, and his sarah is so different than mine (and the difference is: he knows how to play), but then I played against Gutti and it was different again. Seeing you guys was really insightful, and I'm very grateful to you!

I remember my casuals with Settra, amazing Jean dude!

I got my ass kicked sooo bad by Marly's Eileen, so much that I think those were the hardest matches for me (not counting Itazan). From you I've learned that in this game you have to EARN respect, otherwise skilled people like you with rushdown characters like Eileen will just beat the crap out of you.

I only played Jide in our pools at the tournament and a couple of casual matches, but I saw a really, really solid Goh. I somehow expected you or marly to reach the top 8, but there were a lot of really great players, and only one wins! I really look forward to meet you guys at the HoG and improve my game. Then I'll show mister how to play :p

In my pool I fought against unicorn, and his wolf is so different than mister's that messed up my mind! I'm so slow adapting, I'm really not used to play with so many different people, wich HAS to change if I want to start competing.

Then I had a lot of casuals with chofu's taka arashi, wich was respecting me waay to much (or maybe he was holding back to let me press some buttons), and I manage to steal him a couple of matches. He taught me how to correctly punish Taka (like, PPP7K is a natural combo on him if you do the 7K fast enough and I didn't know. Because I suck. But now I suck less I guess?), and was so kind and genuinely happy to play. Amazing games with him.

Itazan was a different experience, he just plays, and there is a point where you press a button, and you know that it was a BAD choice, and he is going to punish it HARD. Goddamn I feel like I'm just starting to understand how the game should be played (because I am just starting), but I really needed to see those guys in action to actually understand what the top level is.

Krye is another player that teaches you to not do ANYTHING stupid, and that you should learn how to play before taking on the big boys. Amazing player, too bad he did not make into top 8!

Cannot say Krye without Kingo, their rivarlry is quite something and they are so much fun to watch. I didn't play much against Kingo and it's a shame because I think he is the best european player hands down. The guy is a monster and his matches at the top 8 were amazing to watch, he could beat Chofu! We tried to get him drunk but we could not find any booze in central london sunday night. Too bad, next time: Drinking matches!

I think sunday at the HoG I started to getting the hang out of the game and I had my best matches there. Played Kalinda's Lion, very good and kinda even-ish matches (plus, he is a GREAT guy! Suit it up Kalinda!). Then I had a couple of matches with Chibitox (again, totally different take on the same character, got my ass kicked but I was not that bad). Did some dojo with Segata, exchanging information on our mains, played some very nice matches against Combolammas, wich has a pretty solid Goh that forced me to come back to the basics and then show the occasional gimmick (wich is how sarah should be played).

Got very surprised by MakiLeSushi's vanessa, the guy can read your mind and crush you in your mistakes VERY fast, he is really an example of adaptation and exploitation!

I am very happy for Mister and Godel as they played really well at the tournament. The competition was very hard and I'm proud of you guys!

I am obviously forgetting someone, and I apologize for that, but it was an experience so strong, and so fast, that It's kinda blurry in my head. What can I say for sure, is that our community is BY FAR the best in the world. I felt like I was part of a big family, and even if we can get salty, after the game is off it's over. I am extremely grateful to all of you, for coming here from whatever part of the world you live in, and sharing those moments with us all.

You guys lit the VF flame on me again, thank you so much.

12. Aion

Aion Well-Known Member

PSN:
    RoseOfMay
    XBL:
    ReturnToPlanetX
    Yay, I'm actually in this picture...

13. toby7ten

toby7ten New Member

Hey man, not a VF player since 2, but how could I miss such a cool tournament? Entered just for fun, amazing event, met some cool people! You all rock.

blossy1000, Ylyon, Shinobi and 5 others like this.
  14. 2ndFace

2ndFace Well-Known Member

PSN:
    x_2ndFace_x
    XBL:
    X2ndFaceX
    Pheww. I guess it's time to drop some Shoutouts as well.

First of all of course SEGA and Mai Kawaguchi and her crew for organizing such a great event.
    Big thanks to the team and especially the Shoutcaster(No sweat stumbling on the names You did a great job) and the Stream announcer(Sing some RnB for us next time!).
    You could not have found a better venue than the Dugdale, very comfortable location with nice personnel and most importantly decent coffee(seems to be hard to find in London ;)).

Special Shout to the HoG crew. That's quite a thing You build up there I already spread the word on all German FG sites I know and the feedback was very good. Prepare for some German visitors in the future(Not just for SCV and VF5) ;)

Now for some peeps I remember from the back of my head( please don't lynch me if I forgot somebody my memory is still too warm and fuzzy)

First of all Settra/Jonny Rainbow/Aidan: Was nice to have a fellow "Kraut" :p in London got along quite well and I hope You enjoyed Yourself. btw Kage's 3KPP is -15!

Next is Rory(The guy with the nice Dreads am I right?): I was very impressed how many characters You can play on a decent level. Got a lot of impressions and ideas for my Kage from watching and playing You(Backdash K+G is gold vs El Blaze RD K)

Unicorn: I'm not afraid of the wall, the wall is my friend. But when I play You I start to really respect it. Nice matches and impressive performance with that custom Hitbox. These things will always be a riddle for me. cya on PSN and hopefully soon again offline.

Mister and the Caligari Crew: Very sorry I forgot the other names. I mostly remember my somewhat comeback and deliberate choke vs Mister in Round Robin. Maaan Your Wolf scares the hell out of me I just couldnt get over it. And the short GGAC Session on Sunday, really should have played more but the VF drive was far to strong. Ahh and thank You for the tasty cupcake. Had no breakfast that day so it really helped me to be a stalwart VF Warrior :)

Aion: SKULLOMANIA! Thanks for the nice matches and general chitchat. You really helped me get along London with Your advice. Got all I needed and had still plenty of time to hit the HoG on Sunday. Big hug for that.

Vikings: Yeah I'll call You that way :p Gutti: Congrats man You did great. I really envy Your ancient Saturn Fightstick this thing is awesome. Really hoped to fight You on Sunday but I had to leave too early. But Berlin is just a cat's hop from my place so prepare for a visitor to our Belovated Capital. Manjimaru: You are a real badass, toughing out Your illness to come to SCE. I felt You were far from Your top game but You still kicked my butt. Except for the Shrine Stage, that is Ninja Territory :p. Combolammas: Didn't play You but You did great vs Itazan one of the few people to take a Match of the champion in the tournament. Congratulations. i feel I really missed out on sth You seemed like a very decent guy.
    Maybe next time. Always wanted to go to the northlands. Know welhis btw?
    Blossy. Very unique Sarah. Your close and oki game was really confusing. You had some very nice ideas to keep Your opponent on his toes.

Sorry this is getting way too long.
    Love and Peace to You all. I enjoyed every second of this weekend. And I'll be back for sure.

Manjimaru, Mister, DWR and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

I'll do a full write up of my experience later because I have to start working now (curse these things we have to do to survive in this world), but most of you already know that I had a blast and it was great to see so many people I haven't seen in a while and meet new ones too.

Also, I'm considering changing my name to "Raffle Kaiser" now as it is rather fitting, and will make it less confusing when it comes to similarly named people.

Of course, I will look foolish when the next tournament happens and I inevitably fail spectacularly to win anything in the raffle. I guess I'll just have to abdicate my position of king before that happens.

cobratron likes this.
  16. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

I also didn't know about these. When I asked Jide at Yates last month it sounded like nothing had been happening for some time. What days and times do you do them? Maybe post in advance when there happening.

17. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Sounds like it's time for some people to join the UK whatsapp group.

Guys, I want to thank everyone for coming over and SEGA/Unequalledmedia/whoever else was behind the event for giving us a reason to meet up and play again. Everyone that wasn't there missed out big time. I will do shoutouts on another day as I don't have the time right now.

Here's to hoping we can have another event in a couple of months :)

MakiLeSushi likes this.
  18. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Hi guys, back at work after this amazing week end.

The tournament:
    Tournament was great, it ran smoothly for the most part, had plenty of setups, staff was very friendly and seemed happy to make this happen which is not always the case especially with multi games/ multi days events were staff members usually get tired.
    The venue for the top 8 was great, and the stream presentation looked very pro.

I’m happy with my results, considering I had not much time to really prepare as much as I would have wanted. I almost didn’t play for 2 months before the event due to some Micosoft certification preparation. Missing it on first try I had to retake it. That had me not playing the game for 2 more weeks. So I got to play semi-intensively only 2 weeks before the tourney.

I think I got a bit lucky with my group and bracket, I didn’t run into any Japanese early in the tourney. Got to fight a Pai player after groups, then ran into Jide for a pretty intense match. We were both really nervous. I played a lot against Nowhere’s Goh recently so I had recent Goh matchup experience, maybe it helped me…
    I was sent in loser’s by Gutti with some regrets cause I dropped lots of things I hardly ever drop.Online/offline buffering shenanigans… But he played really well and safe so props to him.
    Had to play Ryan next, very intense match, got my revenge on him beating me at Stunfest :p Then I got destroyed by Chofu in top 8, I really don’t like Lion/Taka matchup, that’s one of the reasons why I learned Vanessa (also cause I love her and used to play her in 4 and Vanilla) . I feel she does well against him but due to lack of preparation time I knew I was rusty with her so I decided to stick with Lion. The thing is, I discovered in real time that my Lion vs Taka combos were also a bit lacking to say the least lol, I was ending combos with 6PP instead of 66KK and got punished etc.
    I was really happy to see Atsushi do well against Taka, I ‘ll try to see what I could have done by using Sharingan on the stream archive.

The people:

The UK crew:

Special thanks to Marly and Jide for taking care of us on various occasions. Taking time to help us find the Hog. Thanks to Ash for being so kind and funny. Special thanks to the guy at Hog who kindly lended me his Iphone cable, even though he will probably never read this message ;)
    Rory, I didn’t get to play you but you seem pretty badass at Vf, and a cool guy too, I hope to talk and play some games with you next time.
    Feck, nice to meet you irl, we didn’t play in casuals, should fix that next time. Like I told you it seems like we have many games we both play on XBL, we should definitely try some coop someday

You guys have a wicked place to train together offline, staff seems cool too. I wish we had one like that in Paris.

The Italian crew:

Always good laugh with you guys. Had really fun matches with Simone on Sunday, and great laughs overall. Even if I feel that he was not as “unleashed” as in Cannes due to his GF keeping an eye on him ;)
    Meanwhile Mister did probably the best possible tourism promotion for Sardinia that one could think of Hehe. I heard you guys may plan a gathering there, I would come for sure if I can.
    You both got better since Cannes, keep it up.

Michele, nice talking with you man, I wish you the best for your new life in London, you deserve it. Sorry I had to leave in a hurry when we met at King’s cross on Monday, I was really anxious about being late for registration lol.
    If any of you guys wanna visit Paris don’t ever hesitate to contact me, especially you Michele since you are so close now.

French crew:
    Kingo: congrats for your results Kim, you really could have beaten Chofu, it was one of the best matchs of Top 8 (better than mine for sure lol).
    But you were also lucky not running into me in top 8 ahah.
    The games we played on Sunday were very entertaining and pretty close. It’s nice to have you as the locomotive for french players. See you online ;)

Maki: Congrats on getting to top 8. You climbed several mountains in loser brackets, you made Vanessa proud that day.

GFA: Had good laughs with you and Maki. Too bad you had so little time to stay in London.
    See you online ;)

Tomissa & Segata : Congrats on getting out of your groups alive, they were not easy. Sorry I couldn’t watch/coach you for the other match through the brackets. I should have watched your matchs. Keep the VF love burning. We need another Fist of Fury !

Other countries:
    Krye: Always nice to hang with you man. Please don’t drop the game. You had a pretty harsh bracket this time (even though we both know Kingo is kindah free). I would love to see you play Brad, would make a good Brad in EU which is a bit lacking.

Unicorn: Always cool to speak with you and to see your dedication to travel to play VF. Your Wolf has so much dirty tricks it’s disgusting lol. Improve your close range defence (less evades) and you will be a beast.

Manji: Nice to see you again man, last time was in Absolution 2k4, it’s been like 10 years lol Brings back good memories.

Combolamas: Your seemed really strong, optimized knee combos all over the place and good defence.

Gutti: Nice to finaly met you after seeing your name so many times on this forum since the VF4 days. Like someone said we should make posters of you for bringing people to VF events, always smiling, very pleasant guy. Also pretty smart way to combine VF and workout with your stick ;)

The regrets:

The thing I will regret from this event is the fact that we didn’t get a chance to share a meal or a beer together at some place like we did in Cannes. It was great back then and that helped people talk to each others and build friendship.
    We also should have made that team tourney happened on sunday, it’s always great, we NEED to do that next time.

19. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Ty chibi, congrats to u 2 u beat a lot of good players and u get ur revenge on Ryan hart... (i saw the match u re amazing) All french crew must keep on practice and become stronger to beat that damn JP (Impossible isn t a french word =p )

20. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    [​IMG]

Tricky, Ash (Atsushi) and MakiLeSushi like this.