1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

[3 Aug 2013] Sega Cup Europe (London)

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by MarlyJay, Apr 22, 2013.

Sega Cup Europe
Start Date: 3 Aug 2013 12:00 PM
End Date: 4 Aug 2013 12:00 AM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

Dugdale centre
London EN2 6DS

Posted By: MarlyJay

Confirmed Attendees: 30
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":

The following users have RSVP'd "No":
  1. ZeroEx

ZeroEx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zeextremekid
    XBL:
    Zeextremekid
    Mister, Seidon and Feck like this.
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    nou, Tricky and Pai~Chun like this.
  3. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
  4. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Heres one, Kingo vs Krye match from the double elim. I may have couple more vids upcoming, but my upload sucks for hd vids, it took like 8 hours to upload this.. Maybe next night.

nou, Sozos, Tricky and 1 other person like this.
  5. Kaleendaah

Kaleendaah Active Member

And that's a wrap everybody! The first SEGA EUROPE CUP is finally over!

There were moments of glory, despair, fear, arrogance, all power ... But mostly fun beyond all my expectations!

This is probably the most important tournament of the year, the one where I had to prove myself. Although I won my last tournament last weekend during LES VEAUX BORDELAIS 2013 in my hometown, I was not really confident. Three Japanese players have announced their presence at this tournament. (Actually four!) Given the huge level gap between Japanese players and the rest of the world in Virtua Fighter, all hope of victory was gone. In addition, one of the best players in Europe ( Kingo ) also announces his arrival shortly before the competition. My aim is to make the best result I can , which will be complicated!

The eve of the tournament, a small relaxation session at Heart of Gaming where I could recross many players of VF5FS that I have faced during the World Game Cup in Cannes! Italian players (Mister, God3l and Mike DWR the admin of the website virtuafighter.it) English players who were quite numerous (Jide aka Joe Musashi, MarlyJay, Feck, ZeroEx among others I did not remember the names, sorry folks!) and the other Frenchies (Chibitox, MakiLeSushi GFA) It was nice to play a little before the tournament even though the pressure was high!

Arriving at the Dugdale Centre in Enfield near London, I feel that it is Christmas Day. Everything is clean well put together. The Tournament game with two giant screens back to back to the audience.A dedicated space for casuals with more setups than we needed. Staff members were all super kind, always ready to lend a hand. Virtua Fighter on all screens! It's fun! Another great surprise, the tournament had 50 participants! I don't think a VF tournament in Europe has already met many players. (FIST OF LEGEND in Paris had collected last year 30 players)

The tournament starts, the groups are shown on a TV. I'm not in an easy group. 5 players, Top 4 proceed and I'm with Krye and God3L, 2 very good players. Strangely I play my first match against God3l (like it was in World Game Cup last March) but I won my match without too many problems. I reach the Top 32. Once out of the groups, problems start as I have to fight against Kingo. I lose obviously and I'm sent to the Loser Bracket.

From there I start winning a few games and I managed to pull myself into the top 16. Which is not bad considering the general level at the touranment. But my road ends here because I lost against God3l who managed to beat me in a very tight match!

The Japanese players' level was above everyone else. Some matches were particularly interesting for example : Krye vs. Kingo, Chibitox vs. Mister, Jide vs MakiLeSushi.

Out of the Top 32 Double Elimination Bracket, only 8 players subsisted and surprise among these 8 players three were French! Chibitox, Kingo and also MakiLeSushi! Which was not expected but still he managed to upper his game level! Among the other five players, four Japanese players (Ash / Atsushi, Itabashi Zangief, Chofu & Ujinozanani) and Sing-Rod aka Chief Gutti..

All the players were able to attend Phases Finals Top 8 in a movie theatre! The games were broadcast on the Silver Screen with comments Jide and Ryan Hart. At the end of the finals (which I encourage you to view are available on the net in HD) Itabashi Zangief emerged victorious. His level was well above everyone, even among Japanese players! There have been great games in the finals vs. Kingo including Chofu, Chofu VS Ujinozanani, Maki vs. Kingo ...

It was a really great experience. This makes me feel even more eager to play Virtua Fighter and it makes me happy to belong to the community of this game. It makes me want to do everything I can to promote the game in France and develop relationships and interactions more thoroughly with the European community of the game.

This is NOT over, it's only the beginning.

To be continued in October for the BEAT TRIBE CUP 2013 in Tokyo? Maybe...

nou, Aion, Feck and 1 other person like this.
  6. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Loving all the write ups from such a great day. Envy the guys who got to play all weekend. Hopefully something pops up again before the end of the year because I want to play more VF so badly now.

Feck likes this.
  7. 40i4

40i4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    mrxliiv
    XBL:
    xliiv360
    i cant forgive myself that i didn't challenge Itabashi, even now, a week after..
    I play too less.
    am so stupid, tell me! :)

8. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I'm tellin' you bro you're el stupido :p

9. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Feck likes this.
  10. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    So, I guess it's my turn to write something.
    As everyone already said it, it was an awesome event, and even more thanks to the sessions in HOG before and after. Damn it, we were supposed to visit London a little..:D
    The SEGA and unequalled staff were very professional and competent, everything looked well arranged. I had fun the whole week end, and almost forget why I could be there instead of being in vacation ( bad and stupid story ). Anyway...

The hotel room, thanks to Krye, was a little tiny :p but nevermind, we came there for VF !!!
    It 's always nice to put a face on some GT I know since vanilla like SETTRA, xliiv, blossy, seidon.. wish I could play more with you guys, but somehow, we were always busy playing with someone else. lol
    By the way, I will never get used to the fact that people already know I'm kingo when they come to introduce themselves... a little weird for me, since Cannes..

I didn't have to challenge itazan, he saw me before the tourney and ask for practicing with me haha. Nice to see a famous jap player remembering me..
    Obvioulsy I got destroyed but manage to get 1 win :D. That guy is really something, everything I do or try to do, doesn't work, he always outguessed me. This time was the real itazan who came only for VF, unlike Cannes.

I wish I could play more serious games with marly, instead of playing each other characters lol
    Jide, always a pleasure to see you and your Goh still rocks, you will kill that Vanessa next time.

MakiLeSushi, man, didnt' see it coming lol, congratz to you, I'm glad more new french players travel for VF tourneys, like you ! Hey, we play often online, I thought you knew that ending your string with a special high is like asking to get hit-thrown..hahahaha
    Fun matches during the top 8 finals, didn't know or see you usually dance and jump after most of your wins, so I thought you did that only to taunt me, that's why I did the same :D ( crap, by watching the stream, I just realized the audience was watching me too lol )
    Again, major props to you.

FrenchAkira lol, always nice to see and play you, since the VF4Evo era. We are like the old vet now. I'm getting used to that annoying Lion match up now, thanks to you and ash atsushi.
    lol, three tourneys, and we never played in the brackets or groups..lucky you :p

Ash atsushi, very nice to met you, you're friendly and very skillfull, even though you were rusty. Can't imagine what it would have been if you had your PS3 to practice lol. You really did well against Chofu KK and Ujinozanani, very good matches. You were the big surprise of this tourney. Congratz for your 2nd place.^^ Forget to ask you what to do to improve my game, since you can easily speak english.

unicorn, someone told me that your Wolf relies on wall and ring out disgusting set ups, it made me laugh because it's...true, and I even didn't realized it haha. Let's play more online, I will teach you to not being so unfair. I'm glad you managed to come.

DWR, you're like the kind of guy I couldn't see as a player.. I mean, you are so cool, chatting with everybody, watching for everything, so social and all, that I started seeing you as a buddy, rather than a player I want to play VF with lol. But I could tell you are very motivated to step up your game, and I vouch for you for that ! Let's hope next time we met, you'll kick some ass !! Go, go, go training ^^

Which reminds me of Ash kaiser...I think during the whole week, I didn't even see you playing.. where were I ? lol. thx for doing the guide with your friend, and let's play VF next time, at least !
    and big LOL for the prices raffle. :p

segata kenshiro: lol, same for you, almost forget you are a VF player !! you are priceless, your jokes are so lame that it 's funny, and thank you for the farts in the bed...you ass.
    Can't play seriously against you, is it your technique to make me lose ??
    GFA & Kaleendah: maybe next time !!!! Good to see you too, the more we are, the more it's fun. Keep playing, you have a lot of potential here.

Speaking about people I just can't play seriously against, my bitch G0d3L, always too funny, hearing you sunday playing against chibitox...priceless!! :D I have a very hard time to keep my usual seriousness when around you...I shouldn't have bought that mic... Jokes aside, you did very well during this tournament, I already could tell you and mister had improved from our online sessions, maybe next time you'll get me, my dear italian bitches. I am already scared bouuuuu:p Hope to see you again soon.

My dear Krye, my...rival ? lol. This time you weren't lucky, but somehow I'm glad it happened this way. Why ?
    Krye, a few months before SCE: " I'm going to retire"
    Krye, after SCE: " When is the next event ? hopefully, in a couple of months, let's plan something !!"
    Hahahaha! You want to switch your main, but I think your Lau will always remain your best character.. you think he sucks, but look, some people keep playing with Sarah or Aoi..
    You're a very good player, don't let that single tourney change your perspective, also you're also a fun guy to hang out with. Those meme are going to chase after you for ever..:D

Chiefgutti, finally we met and play offline ! congratz, you almost got me hehe, well done with the tourney, especially since you didn't train much for that ! Hope to see and play you again.
    Your have very strong basics, which make your Sarah annoying to deal with.

Manjimaru, good games sunday, I was surprised to be able to block Jacky's 4P1P on reaction lol ! I play a lot with Pana online, and his Jacky is a beast, so I know the Jacky match up very well. On the contrar, I don't think you used to fight Aoi lol

Zero Ex: Ha, fun Vanessa vs Aoi session. It was about time, finally we have played offline games. Was nice to meet you as weel, and good job for running the SCE with your colleagues.

colbatron: US represent !! Very nice Kage, finally I could play with a Kage who knows what's he's doing :p thank you for coming, I hope you enjoyed your stay !

Almost forgot about Feck: lol too funny when I saw you playing Aoi by spamming her hit throw.. good to play you without that stupid lag ! But don't try the unsafe stuffs you do online against me hehe

As for me,those tourney matches made me realize some of my bad habits, and I can see why I lost. Please, Someone slap me in the face for my matches against chofu!!! Which mean my game will be improved next time, like everyone I hope.

Very good VF week end, I hope there will be more events like that, and for people who can handle it, see you online for online games. lol

Ash (Atsushi), Unicorn and DWR like this.
  11. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

I want to do a write up but since this is my first time in europe and still amidst travelling im kinda caught in a whirlwind that I dont know where to start. I just want to say although I still consider myself a noob to the community and just about most of the players where im from had a better chance of getting further at Sega Cup I can genuinely say that all the players I have met are on a skill level on par with some of the best Americans I have played.

Matteo: you are just an awesome guy outiside of VF. We will have to play for sure if I make it to Wales (a place I've admired since a little kid) or Italy.

Mister: you are a great Wolf player. Even though our only matches was cut short because the last train was approaching near HoG before you head home. Thanks for explaining the Italian scene to me. Also that [2][P] T-shirt you wore on Friday was epic. lol

God3l: I had alot of fun finally playing against your Kage. We were pretty much even in our casual matches but you started to pull away later in the set. I think our styles are very similar. I would like to share any inside Kage strats with you in the future.

Chibitox: A player I've always heard about and you didn't let me down as being one of the strongest Lion in the world. I'm glad you made it far in the tourny. I think you may have been upset that I took some games from you with my lowly Kage. After getting peaced out of the tourny you were my first opponent in casuals and I got a cool score of 5-4 after you beat me the night before at HoG like 7-3. Yes I was counting and I'm so proud that I did so well against someone of your calibur. Maybe I'm not so bad afterall.

Chofu: I know he won't read this but our casual matches at SCE were a night and day difference from when we played at LA Akira's place before Sega Cup Los Angeles. I at least won a game or 2 this time and you said "nice" alot when I was able to land a big combo on your Taka. Unfortunately right after our set, SCE started and I played completely opposite and got demolished right out of the tourny.

Feck: It was a pleasure playing your Akira at HoG. And just putting a name to face. BeligerentFeck, we'll play again especially since theres a big shortage of Akira's near me.

Ryan Hart: Always impressive how you win in any game. Especially games that you don't practice much like FS. Your Kage although rough shows that it takes more than combos to win. Keep playing. Its a good look for you and the VF community as a whole.

Rory: I'm gonna call you the Dennis or Gastinell of UK. So impressive your knowledge and skill of many characters. I had some of the most fun and learned alot by playing against you.

Segata: The crazy killer. You are a riot. Thanks for pointing out all the girls with big bottoms. Lol. Your Lau is just as crazy as your personality. If I was to make to France again i need to chill with you for some laughs and Lau beatdowns.

ZeroEx: Thanks bro for everything. Promoting VF the way you do is inspiring. Your rusty Vanessa is still a threat. We will play again just don't stop playing. I know you're a busy guy but you can squeeze it in.

Kingo: Just as I thought. An amazing player. You really turn up when your back is against the wall. Thats a great skill not many VF players have save for a few great ones. I felt good for winning our second or third match then you brought the beast out. Alot of the next matches went to 5th round so I felt good that I was able to at least put pressure on you. And sorry I ate most of your dumplings lol. The waiter asked 2 times who ordered so rather then let go to waste I took 'em. We must play again but I will be alot better against Aoi.

Sushi: I know you have made your mentor and my brother from another mother ChefBoy proud. Really impressive how good you are in such a short time. Your will to improve will get you to where you want to be in the future.

Marly and Jide you guys are the amazing ambassadors of UK and EU VF. Was good to see you again. It made EVO seem like it wasnt that long ago. And I doubt it will be long before we hang again.

Thanks to the many other players I chopped it up with but didnt get to play like Krye, Unicorn, Aion, Gutti, Blossy, Maki, Raffle Kaiser etc. Everyone I met in tourny were great players such as Xiiv, Settra, GFA and ElectroJacky. Electro you may have to cut ur name in half or go by ElectroJeffy. Either way I'm glad I got to play against you bro. You all have showed me that I have a long way to go to catch up to the longtime players.

Thanks to all the UE guys. They all were great nice people to put VF on their shoulders on behalf of us and Sega as well. Thanks to Mai also for making the trek all the way from home. <3 you San Francisco see you soon....from Paris!

nou, Feck, Electro_Jacky and 2 others like this.
  12. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Who was that liar? Told me his name so I can ring him out and walljuggle him like there is no tomorrow!!! :D
    Anyway thank you for proposal, I will be happy to play you online anytime we will get chance :)

13. MakiLeSushi

MakiLeSushi Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

PSN:
    MakiLeSushi
    XBL:
    MakiLeSushi
    Like I said i wasn t in optic to beat you, be in top 8 is already amazing for me, to beat u would be too much, it s too early yet... just have fun that was the point, and both had fun, i know it coz it was the first time i saw ur pokerface smiling lol The string u talk about is surely 3KPK, i hit u once or twice with this special high so i though tried to hit throw me too early, but ur timing was perfect at the end
    Btw i ll got a surprise for u in around 1 month...

I hope so =p But i think the is come to surpass him and i m workin on it actually... Btw it was a damn coincidence that he s ur brother... Next time come with him =)))

14. 40i4

40i4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    mrxliiv
    XBL:
    xliiv360
    It doesn't matter we'll play (more) on the nearest occasion.
    The thing which has just happened is someone written my nick correctly, .. CORRECTLY :)
    More seriously..
    I wish we have played so i could reply with something better than the garbage above i wrote :)

15. kingo

kingo My bitch G0d3L is a scrub Content Manager Aoi

PSN:
    kingofvf5
    XBL:
    kingofvf4
    lol Thoses weren't mine..:D
    I didn't even remember you were at the restaurant !

16. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Wth really. Someone said you didn't get your order of dumplings and I had just ate 3 from a plate the waiter put down. I remember passing it down to your end of the table and swore you ate the last one lol. I felt bad but if they weren't yours its nothing. That table was so packed and confusing. We were there for almost 40 min then krye suddenly popped up out of nowhere. And other folks were missing and then the bill...haha