1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

3rd strike

Discussion in 'General' started by SummAh, Feb 7, 2001.

1. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I just skimmed my way onto SRK.com and there is a discussion why 3rd strike sucks.

Complaints range from parry destorys any strategies....to parry is random and stuff..

All in all,
    Just as Seth said(shit I agree with him)
    Scrubs talking.

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Ride the Lighting Legacy'

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

3rd Strike is the only 2D fighting game I play with any level of seriousness.

ice-9

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

there's also a discussion on "what constitutes good foreplay", with nearly 1000 responses..

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Now
    that I do not know.
    I do feel...there are some seriously 'ST*^@D' there.

Which makes me scared by the fact some of them have to be educated by the so called 'capcom gods'.

sheesh.

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I guess I should not have expected them to play VF when they don't even understand 3S.

Yeah.
    3S is the only 2d game that I'm serious about.
    Forget abt kof, CvS, MvC n co.

6. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>Now that I do not know

which...what constitutes good foreplay, or the fact that there is such a thread on that topic with 1000 responses in srk.com?

[giggle]

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hehehe, didn't I tell you Summers? SRK (aka Cali Capcom players) are lumped into the 3S sucks category. And yet, like you or Jeff, it's probably the only 2d fighter that I play seriously.

They complain how parries pretty much stop pokes and what not. Then they bitch about CvS having dominant pokes. Oh well...

Hehehe, creativity is one of the components for good foreplay. I'm surprised there isn't 1,000,000 responses out there/images/icons/smile.gif How many of the people posting are girls talking about their experiences? Would be a nice research topic/images/icons/smile.gif Dammit, now you got me stuck in memory lane! YOU BASTARD!!!!

-Chanchai

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Could you give me the URL for that SRK site? SRK.com led to some research/corporate website.

ice-9

9. Chanchai

hehe we call it SRK for short, but it's http://www.shoryuken.com

Can you guess where SRK came from?/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

DAMN U RICH!/images/icons/smile.gif

11. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I tried it yesterday for the first time. I didn't
    care for it but I only played two games. My biggest
    problem is the animation looks a little screwed but
    I liked watching it when it wasn't a Gouki vs Gouki
    matchup.

I thought the parrying seemed cool. There was a
    fellow who seemed amazingly adept at
    creating half bar situations out a single mistake.

GE

12. Chanchai

Alright, here's a list of common complaints (from the SRK community) regarding Third Strike. Oddly enough, I pretty much like all of these.

-The numerous amounts of overhead (mid) attacks that just about every character has. To me, well, I like this because it adds that added level to the guessing game, but apparently it's "too random" for some Capcom purists.

-Combos can be interrupted by supers (due to a lack of knowledge from Japanese resources, myself and what seems like the US players, I think this is merely a theory. It actually seems that as much as combo physics are already stricter than well, Alpha 3, combos themselves are even stricter in the sense that you'll want to input properly--ASAP--otherwise the opponent is open to either parry a hit or interrupt with a super).

-"Projectiles are worthless" (in fact, I don't think this is true... they can be parry bait now, and that can be exploited. Dudley for instance. Of course I guess an expert can manage to parry anything you throw at him, leaving a guessing game as an option. I find projectiles to be a restriction on mobility in 3S and that role is to be further exploited as a result).

-Parries. I love parries, I haven't seen them ruin the game even yet. If you're being parried like crazy, you need to figure out why, and there is a reason (hence, the pattern based fighting style that seems to happen in many Capcom fighters is broken down as a result of parries, which is probably why a lot of those guys hate it; of course originally even patterns are implemented into a guessing game of sorts, they aren't merely pushing tactics)

Anyways, once the realm of parries and Tech-throws is open, the SF3 series is just an extremely different game. One that annoys some and appreciated by others.

Where it's probably one of the least popular games in the US (or at least West Coast), it sounds like it's one of the more popular games in Japan. Sounds familiar...

-Chanchai

13. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I love Third Strike but why is that the only 2-D game you play seriously. I mean Alpha 3 and CvS are good and so is Super Turbo. Also there are only two things I dont like about Third Strike one the parries while overall a good edition I dont like air parries and it is a little too easy to parry jump in attacks as they all hit high and the second no Zangiev WTF.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

14. Chanchai

Hehe, it's the only 2d fighter I play seriously at the moment.

As far as Alpha 3 goes, that came around when I kind of quit playing video games for awhile. I just started picking up Alpha 3 and it's great/images/icons/smile.gif Competition for the game is starting to come back (people preparing for B5 I guess) so I'll probably try to learn much more through some competition.

I like Capcom vs. SNK a lot actually. However, I just never played the game very seriously. I play in competition in the game and all, and I do enjoy it... But for some reason, I'm always surprised if I find myself in the top five of the local tournaments, but it is local. If I had more time to play the game, and local competition (as in my college town, I only get to go to Portland once in awhile at the moment), I probably would be more serious about it. Overall though, the only time I can think of being truly serious when playing the game was in competition. Yet, in Third Strike, whenever I play the game (casually or in competition) I'm practically always serious and pretty much fully focused. I don't feel that way in CvS. Somehow, if my opponent has any weakness that I might possibly be aware of in CvS, I tend to pick it up quickly (subconsciously) and exploit it without much effort. For some reason in Third Strike, I have to be serious to do that (probably because after awhile, all novelties turn into parry bait once people get used to it).

I'm trying to get my fighting game buddy to teach me the ropes in Super Turbo. I really like that game a lot and definitely would play that seriously. For some reason, when that game was around, I didn't play it much and then it's practically off the face of Oregon, but now we have the DC version and I could try to borrow some homemade sticks to emulate a ST cabinet feel...

If you want to know the 2d game that I get really hyped up on. It's Hyper Fighting. Oddly enough, I have the New York Crew to thank for really getting me into wanting to play that game all the time now. As I've mentioned before, I look forward to my next HF bout with Adam Yuki.

Alright, so when I said now, I meant present now. Very present. Given the Seattle CvS tournaments that are bound to happen in March, I'm considering training to participate in those. However, I don't have a weekly resource to see what traps and what not people have been placing these days. I can only guess what people are doing in the game or get by through half the tournament with some novelty that should take about 2 hours before everyone figures out how to crack it. Then again, a buddy in Seattle really wants a rematch with me...

For me, I don't see anything wrong with air parries, it definitely changes the jump-ins or even adds some new aspects to how the game's played, but I find it pretty exciting. Of course, I still haven't played one of those Japanese players which will just parry everything...

Summing it up:
    Current serious 2d fighter is: Third Strike
    CvS: Only felt VERY serious in competition, maybe this is just a way of expressing that I feel very natural at the game and so I feel it takes little effort and some background on matchups and traps of different characters. I still like the game a lot, not being serious about it doesn't mean I don't like it.
    SFA3: Wonderful game, feel bad for missing the big following when it was around (and still exists in some areas), planning to get into it. Very well designed game. Infinite combos are kind of a pain in the ass though, but I'll have to learn how to prevent them.
    ST: Wonderful game, no clue why I skipped out on this one (MK2, VF2 happy maybe? I don't know because I think I never stopped playing SSF2 and HF).
    HF: DAMN, I LOVE THIS GAME!!! ADAM, YOU'RE GOING DOWN!!!/images/icons/tongue.gif

-Chanchai

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

screwed animation?
    What's wrong with you GE!!!!!!!!!/images/icons/smile.gif

The sf3 series is reknown for their insane animation...(apart from Ryu and Ken)
    Check out Remy, Ibuki, Dudley, Chunli, The Yun Yang co...etc

Chancai is right on one area.
    The combos must be spot on.
    If VF3 demands the strictest command input in 3d games,
    it's a winner to say 3rd strike demands the same. The input must be quick and done 100% correctly. The so call 'hit detection' engine, to me is PERFECT!

When it comes to parrying, I think alot of people, esp SRK.COM scrubs in particular, do not understand the skill level involve in it.

Some think it's all about reaction.
    Others assume it's a simple matter of 'push forward'.

There's a different timming to parry different kinds of attacks. Some attacks must be parried really fast. Meaning 'hand keep pushing forward' kinda fast.

Some are really 'slow'.(easy money)/images/icons/smile.gif
    The deadly ones are the 'mixed bag'. Kinda like parrying Chun li's second super. (Bah, I can parry all of Akuma's super, yet I'm only confident of parrying the last kick in her second super!)/images/icons/mad.gif

From my experience, good 3rd Strike players like to win a person thru parrying. Cause it's like putting the words on a big banner 'GOT YA'.

There's no silly factors such as 'kof combo till you drop'
    'bug', etc...

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

GE said:
    I thought the parrying seemed cool. There was a
    fellow who seemed amazingly adept at
    creating half bar situations out a single mistake.

Heh heh, kinda like VF isn't it?

Lonelyfighter said:
    I love Third Strike but why is that the only 2-D game you play seriously. I mean Alpha 3 and CvS are good and so is Super Turbo. Also there are only two things I dont like about Third Strike one the parries while overall a good edition I dont like air parries and it is a little too easy to parry jump in attacks as they all hit high and the second no Zangiev WTF.

Alpha 3 is great and CvS is interesting. There are not very many Alpha 3 players in the arcades I frequent or frequented, however, so I do not play it much. I was a big Alpha 2 Charlie nut though. As for CvS...it's a nice twist on the genre, but overall I don't find its gameplay compelling.

There's no Zangief, but there's Hugo and Alex!

Chanchai said:
    -The numerous amounts of overhead (mid) attacks that just about every character has. To me, well, I like this because it adds that added level to the guessing game, but apparently it's "too random" for some Capcom purists.

Ooh that's exactly what I love...makes it more VF-like. More mind games.

-"Projectiles are worthless" (in fact, I don't think this is true... they can be parry bait now, and that can be exploited. Dudley for instance. Of course I guess an expert can manage to parry anything you throw at him, leaving a guessing game as an option. I find projectiles to be a restriction on mobility in 3S and that role is to be further exploited as a result).

It's true that projectiles are not as powerful as previous SF iterations, but there are a few projectiles in the game that are very useful. Remy's are great and Akuma's slow red fireball is just ridiculously strong.

-Parries. I love parries, I haven't seen them ruin the game even yet. If you're being parried like crazy, you need to figure out why, and there is a reason (hence, the pattern based fighting style that seems to happen in many Capcom fighters is broken down as a result of parries, which is probably why a lot of those guys hate it; of course originally even patterns are implemented into a guessing game of sorts, they aren't merely pushing tactics)

I hear ya! The parry system is also what I love about SF3. It encourages more yomi and more intense close-up fighting.

ice-9<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 2/9/01 10:06 AM.</FONT></P>

17. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

About parries they are good I would just like more levels of parrties besides high and low make it a little harder to guess correctly they also hamper rush down characters such as my personal fav Q.
    About Hugo and Alex over Zangiev truly neither of these compare to the Mad Russian where Zangiev can tick off of jab, short, strong, forward, c.jab, c.short, c.strong, .c.forward amd I am sure a few others. Hugo can only tick off of jab, short, c.jab, c.short his SPD is just not as effective and does not have the range. I am not very familiar with Alex so I will not comment.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

18. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmmm....maybe this is due to the lack of competition, but still SFIIIrdstrike and Guilty Gear X are the two 2d fighters that I play competitively/seriously.
    To me, both these games have a zen aspect that is even more engrossing than VF3 can be...it is just a zone that you get in, and the actions on the screen feel like something that are natural {well...to a certain extent of course}.

What I love about III, as most of you do also from what I gather, is the fact that there are so many variables. Being a 2d fighter lover, I can definatly understand the complaints about all the variables, but to me...it is just evolution.
    For GGX -- you guys really gotta try this out..there is so much more to this game than just on the surface.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

19. Chanchai

Well, honestly, no fighting game has gotten me totally into itself like VF3 has. But Third Strike comes close/images/icons/smile.gif

As for GGX, I'm not crazy about the game, but I know there's a lot to it. Definitely. But I'm just not that crazy about it, but do enjoy watching it.

Moment of truth, you were the one wondering about my beef with combos. Well, like I said, I don't have a beef with combos and I say I'm not good at them. Honestly, it's nothing more than me being too lazy to practice them as I work on tactics. In general, it's the tactics that bring me to the combos. Not the other way around, and for many people, it is the other way around. And that's fine, I guess that's like a "belt system" or something. Up your input skills with combos and learn tactics by implementing them. For me though, it's learn the tactics and strategies, master them, and then later learn to maximize them through combos.

I'm really just making an excuse for my laziness or non-focus on combos when I say I'm not good at them. I have been able to do a lot of things with inputs, but I don't focus on it enough and it certainly isn't my forte as far as combos go. Though I do admit that sometimes my precision is way off on some games.

-Chanchai