1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

5 Steps Introducing Virtua Fighter's game system

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by akai, Nov 5, 2007.

1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    <span style='font-size: 14pt'>5 STEPS to Memorize: An Introduction to Virtua Fighter's Game System </span>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>STEP 1 - Basic Rules Concerning Strikes, Throws, and Defense [/size]</span>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A. On Offense: the basic offense revolves around the use of throws and mid strikes as a two-choice offense (more commonly known as nitaku).
    - Anticipating opponent will stand and guard, use throws as your offense.
    - Anticipating opponent will crouch and guard, use mid strikes as your offense.
    B. On Defense:
    - Anticipating opponent to strike you, use standing guard and crouching guard as your defense.
    - Anticipating opponent to throw you, crouch or use strikes as your defense.
    - Move away from your opponent so that their technique entirely misses you -- a good opportunity to counterattack.
    <span style='font-size: 14pt'>
    STEP 2 - Advantage and Disadvantage
    [/size]
    </span>A. In general, you are most likely at an advantage, if 1) your attack successfully hits opponent, 2) opponent attack is successfully defended, and 3) opponent attack entirely misses you.
    - When you have the advantage, it is your chance to go on the offense.
    B. In general, you are most likely at a disadvantage, if 1) opponent attack successfully hits you, 2) your attack is successfully defended by opponent, and 3) your attack entirely misses your opponent.
    - When you are at a disadvantage, it is your turn to focus on defense.
    STEP 3 - Evading and Circular Strikes
    [/size]</span> (Evading is also known as Defensive Move)
    A. Evade – On the defense, aim to evade opponents’ linear strikes. Successfully evading opponent’s strikes give you an opportunity to counterattack. Use evade to quickly go on the offense.
    B. Circular Strikes – On the offense, anticipating opponent will evade, use throws or circular strikes. Full circular strikes will successfully hit an evading opponent, where as linear strikes will be easily avoided.
    STEP 4 - Consistently Inflict Damage to Opponent
    [/size]</span>
    A. Use 1) combos for guaranteed damage, 2) hit confirmation (also known as hit checking) for counter hits (look for the yellow light when your hit strikes your opponent), and 3) decisive counterattacks (also known as guaranteed hits) to reliably damage your opponent.
    B. Recognize the type of advantage situation you have:
    - small advantage /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif use common 2-choice offense
    - medium advantage /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif use counter 2-choice offense (not to be mistaken with reverse nitaku term)
    - large advantage /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif use decisive counterattacks for guaranteed damage

Opponent big technique is defended = you have large advantage /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif opportunity for guaranteed damage
    STEP 5 - Basic Flow of Competition
    [/size]</span>
    A. Relatively Even Situations, act first!
    1. Use Standing Punch and Low Punch
    - opponent blocks attack /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif relatively even***
    - successfully hit opponent /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif you have advantage, use your two-choice offense.
    - successfully counter hit opponent /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif you have advantage, use your counter two-choice offense.
    - opponent strike hits you instead /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif you are at a disadvantage, focus on defense.
    2. Anticipating opponent to guard or evade
    - expecting opponent to guard, use two-choice offense.
    - expecting opponent to evade, use full circular strikes.
    3. Use low strikes to effectively disrupt opponent.
    - successfully hit opponent /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif relatively even***
    - failed to hit opponent /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif you are at a disadvantage, focus on defense.
    B. Offensive Direction in Advantageous Situations
    - Use decisive counterattacks in guaranteed damage situations.
    - Use two-choice offense in non-guaranteed damage situations.
    - Use full circular attacks to discourage opponent from evading.
    C. Defensive Direction in Disadvantageous Situations
    - Against opponent’s two-choice offense - mid strike /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif standing guard or evade as your defense
    - Against opponent’s two-choice offense – throw /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif crouching guard or strikes as your defense

*** = Exceptions or oversimplification by the 5 steps. While it is listed as "relatively even," you will find out that your low punch on guard will put you at a small disadvantage while high punch on guard will put at a very small advantage. In addition, your low strikes successfully hitting your opponent, generally will put you at an disadvantage.

---

The 5 steps or rules listed above are basic guidelines in how to approach the Virtua Fighter 5 game system. It summarizes the information from the pocket guides “Virtua Fighter Instructions†Volume 1 and 2, freely available on virtuafighter.jp website. An adapted and translated version of these beginner guides is being worked on.

Do you have to follow these guidelines to be successful? Nope, but I do think it simplifies the game, that at times can be overwhelming.

These rules are meant to give a player a solid foundation on how to play Virtua Fighter. Having a good understanding and application of the fundamental aspects of Virtua Fighter, one can then effectively use and counter advanced techniques and tactics.

For advanced techniques, tactics, and “exceptions to the rules†go to the strategy forums for information and discussion.

For more organized information, look at the comprehensive command move lists and VFDC wiki pages (upper left corner of the website) that members of the VFDC community took time to translate and organize.

Finally, how much time you are willing to put into this game, physically and mentally, will be a major factor on your success in this game.

Welcome to Virtua Fighter!

2. ZeroEx

ZeroEx Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Zeextremekid
    XBL:
    Zeextremekid
    Thnx for the info, I'll keep these tips in mind as a practice more.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Great stuff, akai. At some point it would be good to accompany this with some diagrams.

What we sorely need is this kind of beginner-oriented material for first timers to VF.

Stickied!

4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Re: 5 Steps Introducing Virtua Fighter's game syst

it's be real nice to have nitaku set up vids for each character in their threads. I'd gladly do one for eileen but I actually don't know all her nitaku situations. Also be good to have vids of which moves to fuzzy guard after and which ones you crouchdash fuzzy guard after. It'd be easier for new players since the command list can be overwhelming

I've recently learned the POWER of nitaku

5. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC

Diagrams are on the work....slowly....

6. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

There are some really wonderful beginner diagrams in the 360 manual (possibly PS3 as well.) I'll see if I can scan 'em.

7. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC

Robyrt - thanks for letting me know. I just played my friend's 360 version and saw the diagrams in the user manual. I only have the PS3 version, and that manual does not have it.

Those beginner diagrams are actually step 1 and step 2 diagrams.

8. sasuka

sasuka New Member

io help me how do i play these game

9. sasuka

sasuka New Member

hello evry one can u all tell me wat the fisrt step so that i can play these game?

10. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC

I'm not sure if I understand your post...but the first step is described in the first post of this topic.

11. SS8

SS8 Well-Known Member

This is helpful. I guess I just need to work harder at it to get better...

12. Sikarios22

Sikarios22 Member

I have a question about Evades/DMs. Do you need to input the evade at basically the EXACT moment your opponent is inputting their linear attack? I've sort of been spoiled by Tekken and SC so I'm used to evadeing BEFORE the opponenet attacks, but in VF it seems like it needs to be more simultaneous. Needless to say, this has been frustrating the hell out of me and losing me matches b/c I know that if I evaded more properly I'd be winning a lot more.

13. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC

You have to input the evade/DM as opponent's attack is being executed and before the attack actually hits, ie. active frames. Inputting the evade command before opponent input their command will result in a "failed evade."

Here is a link for more detailed information on DM and application.

Wiki System on Defensive Move

14. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I'm asking this as a serious question (no sarcasm):

Would it be too much for new starters if we talk about buffering evades?

The strict definition is based on a neutral/even situation--and assuming the neutral/even situation is why a lot of people attempt to evade as a reaction to the opponent's attack.

But once we talk about buffering, then we are talking about evading from a disadvantage (or when stuck in an action), but in anticipation that the opponent will immediately do an evade-able attack.

And this is the situation that most intermediate and above players will actually input an evade (when they are stuck in a dash, a whiff, recovering from a hit, or when they've been blocked).

Going back to the question:

-VF's evade system is not a free dodging system. It punishes you for doing a premature evade (though you can use advanced movement eventually).

-While VF3, Tekken, and SC have useful dodges that work well on offense (because they're good dodges whenever used), VF4 and VF5's design seems to imply that you should use evades when you are on the defensive--not the offensive. This is because they designed evades to only be good when the opponent is already attacking. Not before they attack.

-I bring up buffering because the point is, when you are forced to defend, you are in a position where your opponent's attack should already be incoming when your character recovers--this is a situation where you can do a good evade because you don't have to worry about timing your evade, the attack is already coming.

-Chanchai

15. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC

Chanchai, I think beginner and intermediate-level players will find your post helpful on evade/DM application.

The 5 steps still need to be fleshed out a bit, but they were meant to be guidelines on VF fundamentals as a foundation for all level of play, beginner-advanced.

What I was hoping to do with this topic, is to lay the foundation of VF (the 5 steps) and then have a FAQ section. The FAQ section could go into detail stuff that people have inquired in this topic or others--for example, How come I failed to evade opponent's attack?

16. RedSonRising

RedSonRising Well-Known Member

thanks for explaining what nitaku means.. there are a lot of terms tossed around in the forums but not many comprehensive explanations of what they mean..

17. ViperExcess

ViperExcess Well-Known Member

This makes sense. If you're at advantage, you can interrupt anti-evade attacks with your own. And using an evade + special movement at advantage would just be wasting frame advantage. They're basically a universal "parry" for linear attacks that people could otherwise have trouble getting around.

As a beginner, I would respond to Chanchai's question with a "YES". I've found myself failing many evades and having to cover them up with special movements, at such an early stage in the game. Buffering evades would be next for me, before buffering throw escapes. Basic buffering would be a good way to move up the ladder, so to speak.

18. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC

RedSonRising -

If you are unsure of some terms, here is a pretty nice list of terms used to describe VF.

VF Glossary

19. Jaytech

Jaytech Well-Known Member

great. thx.

20. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

Execellent!!!!