1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

5 Steps to Learning Virtua Fighter

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by Myke, Jun 1, 2012.

1. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    The +2 to +5 situation is in most cases IMO a "yomi" advantage that you'll just have read your opponent since they can just fuzzy guard your mid_throw mixup. +1 is basically a "your 2P beats the opponent's 2P" situation.

One thing that has always irked me in VF compared to Tekken is that when you have the advantage in VF you can never sidestep to evade your opponent because it just results in a failed evade, you can only backdash, which the opponent can convert into a backdash stagger with most characters with a good read even from disadvantage and kill you. When you at below nitaku advantage, the game basically either forces you to attack immediately, or wait a second for your opponent's action if they perform movement before attacking.

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    You can dash evade at small advantage, if you expect them to attack. This technique was descrbed by GT/Tricky about 2 years ago.
    Or if you expect them to not attack and wanna go for their side, you can use OS.

It is just like in tekken, only not in form of braindead 88 mash

3. Izuna_Shoryuken

Izuna_Shoryuken Well-Known Member

Like I just don't GET using a knee over an elbow unless these-as they are conveyed to be- moves that come out at SPECIFIC frame intervals, IE all knees being like 16-17 frames or what have you.

A lot of this game to me is having a feel despite the frames etc.

4. Izuna_Shoryuken

Izuna_Shoryuken Well-Known Member

.. Tekken has tracking moves.. A lot of them.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    And VF have (half)circular moves. A lot of then

MarlyJay likes this.
  6. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    the knee is important not only because it yields a lot more damage than an elbow but also because your opponent REALLY wants to block it for the guaranteed punish.

and making your opponent REALLY want to do something is a great way of winning a match. never use your knee, and your opponent will never be afraid of it.

erdraug likes this.
  7. Fizio

Fizio New Member

1. I was thinking that I will find out how to block at right moment but I didn't.
    2. How the hell am I supossed to evade?!

8. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

The simplest way to put it is, block whenever you arent attacking. And to figure out when to not attack, you're going to have to learn when you're at a disadvantage or when you have an advantage. Generally speaking, you will be at an advantage after blocking the opponents move. And you will be at a disadvantage when either you are hit by your opponents move, or your move was blocked.

How to evade... idk how to tell you this, but input 8 or 2 to evade. Now, to figure out when you should evade, you will again have to figure out when you are at disadvantage (bc evades are only successful if you are in disadvantage) Same rules apply... evade after your opponent blocks your move, or after you are hit by your opponents move.

It takes practice, dont get discouraged and take time to play around with it

Fizio likes this.
  9. Marlow

Marlow Active Member

PSN:
    Redwin6411
    XBL:
    Marlow0822
    I have a question on how to read the frame data in the Commands section. When looking at strings of 2 or more commands, what does the startup frames apply to? For example, K for Jeffry has a startup of 16F, KP has a startup of 17F, and KPK has a startup of 14F. So if I'm looking to find what move to use in a +2 situation, even though KPK is listed as a 14F startup, is the actual startup for the string would still be 16F, and would get beaten out by a 12F move by the opponent, correct?

Also, how does priority work when two moves connect at the same time?

10. Ares-olimpico

Ares-olimpico Well-Known Member Content Manager Lion

PSN:
    ares-olimpico
    Goog question i always thinked is 16f for the first kick, 16+17 the startup of the punch of kp and 16+17+14 for the third kick

11. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I know this is an old post, but for anyone wondering about these absolute basics I highly suggest you run through the game's tutorial, more than once if required, and then come back with specific questions.

12. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Very simply, how fast it takes for hit detection to occur. Your real question, however, is in the context of the following:

Correct!

The startup, or execution, frames of your mid-string moves can never be used in "frame difference situation" i.e. any situation that leaves you frame positive, negative or even, and you're in neutral state (i.e. free to move). Why? Because, to state the obvious, you can't execute the mid-string move on its own. You have to first execute the move(s) that come before it, and therefore, the startup frame of the first attack in your string applies.

However, the startup frames of mid-string moves do have some limited practical use. For example, if a mid-string move has a long startup and you've noticed the opponent delay (I'll talk more about this in a second), then you might have an opportunity to interrupt.

A slight digression but more important stat, IMO, for mid-string moves is their Total Frames because this can then be used to determine how much advantage you might have should you successfully evade your opponent mid-string. Of course, this assumes they don't perform the next attack in the string's series, should it exist. You can read more about advantage after successful evade (DM) on the wiki: DM Advantage

Refer to the wiki: Attack Trades

A quick note about delays: You have to be careful when doing this kind of summation, because in practice, the opponent will not always execute a string at the fastest timing. In practical terms, Jeffry's KPK might execute as:

16 + delay + 17 + delay + 14.

Since each delay is variable, with maximum delays being string-specific, it's really hard to do any kind of calculations relating to the startup frames of mid-string moves.

13. Marlow

Marlow Active Member

PSN:
    Redwin6411
    XBL:
    Marlow0822
    Thanks @Myke. That's what I figured, I just wanted to double check. I'm trying to work through Jeffry's frame data myself, to put together a gameplan and teach myself about advantage/disadvantage.

Ares-olimpico and Myke like this.
  14. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Well I picked up Lion for a couple of reasons.
    * 11 frame execution jab
    * lows that actually knockdown.
    * Deadly sideturned game.
    * excellent mix up from said sideturn.
    There are several other pluses that abound as well.

15. danmann861

danmann861 New Member

Maybe I'm just a newb but I really don't get it at times. Is it just me or is the game laggy as all hell? For instance, I can't for the love of me do punishes in this game. I play a lot of Tekken 7 but I almost feel like VF is so bloody quick that the netcode can't even handle it. Like for instance, I had a lion that kept spamming his leap forward move. I use Sarah by default and I was trying to punish said move with 3PP as per recommendation of a Sarah quick notes video on YT, but to no success of a punsih. I just get hit over and over again.

I don't know, is it just me or is the game laggy as all hell? Or am I just not quick enough. Some matches feel better than others online, but others just feel heavy as all hell on the inputs and it feels like you can't do much of anything.

Granted, I am largely a newbie to VF and there is much about this game I don't get, but I feel like when I'm not even landing a simple i14 punish then I have to wonder if something is wrong with me or the netcode? Sometimes it feels like it will register my finger on the guard button, other times it feels like it lets everything through in delay.

I don't know...I feel the netcode feels spotty at best. Sometimes really good, other times it borders on unplayable to me.

It's a shame, I really want to learn VF but I feel like I can't pull off even the simplest of punishes online.

TexasLion likes this.
  16. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I will read this in full a little later but I wanted to quickly (in VF speed) tell you that you have to be really fast. Like game show buzzer fast.

But the good thing is, when your opponent attacks and you know you’re going to guard, you already know what the outcome will be so you should know what to do next and be ready to respond when their attack connects with your guard.

similarly, if you attack and you need to confirm crouching or counter hit, you can look to see if they are crouching before your hit lands or if they are attacking too and you increase your chance if confirming and countering correctly.

Finally, VF’s buffer is GENEROUS! You get to press your option during the guard stun and when you recover from guard stun your character does the option!

so the answer is, “be faster!”

danmann861 likes this.
  17. Chanchai

Another question I have is, and I mean no offense to ask, are you on a wired connection or wifi? When I played on WiFi, it was very heavy and the game played like it was 30 frames per second instead of 60. However, it was still more or less responsive to me, I could still whiff punish even, but it did play slower (and I think the slowness was good as it avoided some of the problems I would expect if connection was shaky and the game was playing normal speed). Once I turned my PS4's ethernet on (I forgot you had to manually turn it on), I had a faster experience in online matches.

danmann861 likes this.
  18. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    A quick way to determine if it's your connection that's laggy, or you're just not reacting fast enough is to head over to Training and record the CPU Lion doing his "leap forward move" (whatever that was!?) then play it back to ensure you can consistently punish it. Then, try to record two other actions and then play them all back to test your ability to punish after successfully confirming the "leap forward move" after guarding it.

If you can consistently punish it in Training Mode, then it's highly likely that you're playing under really laggy conditions, and VF was never intended nor designed to be played this way.

19. Vespuche

Vespuche Member

What's the proper way to stand immediately?

I see people get up almost instantaneously.

20. Chanchai

When you hit the ground:

P+K+G = “Quick Rise” - You stand up right away.
    2P+K+G = “Tech Roll” away from screen
    8P+K+G = “Tech Roll” into the screen or “into the horizon”

Mash P = Stand up normally, not tech.
    (Can Mash) K = Mid Rising Attack (timing determines when this happens)
    (Can Mash) 2K = Low Rising Attack (timing determines when you do this)

(Can Mash) G = Roll into the screen or “into the horizon” (mashing determines timing)
    (Can Mash) 2G = Roll away from screen (mashing determines timing)
    (Can Mash) 4G = Roll away from opponent 9mashing determines timing)

You can do Mid Rising Attack or Low Rising attack while doing any of the roll options where you mash G.