1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

5R Character Rankings: Arcadia 103 (Dec 08)

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Reno, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    backwalk -> sidekick.

Just as reliable as any tier-rankings.. I dont get why people get so excited about these..

2. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Gah, nevermind i brainfarted /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Too much epistemology does that sometimes.

Manji is right as usual and KoD's post below drives the nail to the coffin.

3. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    So is top-tier lion mainly because of his elbow string combos? Is it still as difficult to hit-check as it is in 5 ?

Eileen, jacky, backturned kage, that's it. Vanessa's sidekick is the safest in the game (total frames, guard) and pushes back just enough that it looks like you should be able to reach her, but can't. You can't cancel backdash at any time by guarding, the way you can with backwalk. How is vane's sidekick getting buffed? I searched that page for 3k and sidekick and didn't find anything.

4. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

It seems a bit easier to hit check and the rewards are much better too. It's a faster move, and on Taka it guarantees f,f+KK for a combo. Also, because they moved D, f+P to D, d/f+P, he can now use that elbow as a good punisher when blocking low moves. Also, one of the biggest things is that u+K got boosted up, so that the first hit on counterhit pops up people higher, allowing you connect with d+P, f+PP (basic, you can do more complicated stuff) for a combo on everyone except Taka.

Lion also got two really good new low attacks (HCF+P, d/b+K+G) and his b+PKG stance got buffed with the removal of PPP and the addition of P, which guarantees a combo on any hit.

5. Fulan

Fulan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about that, they didn't tweak that had with the diferent vanilla 5 versions.

6. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

"It's my time to shine!"

This is a big difference from the last freelance tierlist. Wonder how long it'll stay like this. I obviously haven't played the game but find it hard to believe -some- of the placings. Which could be a good sign. If the tiers aren't drastically noticeable, then they must be pretty shallow.

Also lols at Shun not being god tier. Called that m'n'f'er- Jyeah.

7. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Is it still verson.A right now??

8. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    You'd still duck into every mid.

-----

I still want Taka. If we don't see console release, bye bye VF. Vanilla 5 is getting too boring and needs a character other than Dural with a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif string.

9. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

It has one. He's called Lei Fei.

10. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Yeah, but he isn't fat. And bald characters don't exist, nor do bald people.

11. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

muhahahaha she stays put. She's actually the only one of the S tiers that has remained through all the Vanilla 5's

12. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    but she's so short that they'll just whiff over her.

clearly, this is the perfect character to fit my playstyle.

13. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Must be a mistake. Shun is clearly GOD tier. DON'T YOU SEE THE WAY HE ROLLS AROUND ON THE FLOOR.

This is a mistake. He's probably stronger than Dural. Totally effin broken!

Oh, and I know it doesn't need mentioning, but tiers aren't as separated in this game as they are in others. Taka can beat Eileen with some well thought out stuff, and it's not really an uphill battle, from what i've seen in videos. so chill ;3

But no one can beat Shun. He has a mid launcher that guard staggers, and is fast! SO BROKEN.

14. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

People just see the stuff he got and not what he lost.

1. bt sou sabaki cant be hit checked
    2. no more kkp(k) combos after bt sou sabaki
    3. crumple on normal hit of 4p+k sabaki removed
    4. 2_3 p doesnt knock down on normal hit
    6. chouwan requires 6 drinks. (this is huge for shun if you dont know)
    7. 64p full circular high is no longer available outside choukarou stance
    8. side blocking tones down k+g ch mixups

Fuudo and chibita are top players with lion in vf5 and lion is considered the weakest along with sarah.

15. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Actually, on the Taka note, Koedo mentioned in his small write-up that Taka might as well be E Rank in the game, suggesting that he's by far the weakest character...

Having played against the S Rank characters a lot since the game's release, Taka can hang with Jeffry simply because a lot of combos can't work on him, and Taka can match him blow for blow. Against Eileen and Lion on the other hand, it's a real uphill battle. You gotta get really lucky with Taka in both matches, or play a lot smarter than your opponent, because you have a ton of disadvantages in those two matchups.

16. Terra

Terra Well-Known Member

Are the characters in any order on that list? I mean, is Jeff a definite #3 on the list?

17. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

This seems to be a common thread when new characters get itroduced in VF games - they tend to wind up being considered either quite strong or fairly weak. In VF2, Shun and Lion were generally considered the weakest, while Taka was believed to pretty strong after his induction into 3. (I think Aoi fell into the alleged "weak" tier but I might be remembering badly.) Lei/Vane were considered kinda mid/lower in VF4, and Goh and Brad were very much considered to be weak in Evo. In 5, Eileen was often regarded as very strong, and now we've got Taka back again... except now he looks to be quite weak.

From my eyes, history seems to show that it takes both AM2 and the players a while to really find and situate a character in a "niche" where they can be considered not overly powerful or weak. The fact that revisions to the game can be done a lot more quickly and cheaply seems like it'd be a huge boon to helping the newcomers "find their place," so to speak. It's certainly far better than the VF2 days of Lau/Akira absolute dominance.

18. LegendaryHero90

LegendaryHero90 Well-Known Member

about that stance...

it seems like lion no longer moves back a bit and just ducks.

can that stance make your opponent whiff certain mid attacks? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

19. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Yes, it makes certain attacks completely whiff. Much better at making stuff whiff because it goes lower to the ground and it has a faster descent as well.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=kVkE8fTTEIM
    Check 2:12. Sarah's wakeup kick completely whiffs, and my Lion does b+PKG, P into combo.

20. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Wow that is pretty sick, his two handed sweep does that as well.. can even catch you if a rising attack whiffs