1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

5R Character Rankings: Arcadia 103 (Dec 08)

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Reno, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    In R there is also Taka. Who I think has his old string that is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    WhY So SeRiOuS?

Or should I say why are you pointing out the obvious? Both of them are joking.

3. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Thanks for the input Reno, and for the observation zerochan.

And sorry gerald, but you can't convince me that Shun is not ridiculously unbalanced and god-like. The one time I saw a Shun v Shun vid, my hard drive crashed.

4. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

^I've been seeing people get a low bounce on reaction to Shun dropping to laying down lol. Just 2P as he drops, then get a free small bounce combo.

5. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

he he /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

6. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Uh-uh, Shun is invincible when he lays down. He starts flashing, moving faster and kills anything he touches just like Mario after he gets that little star /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

7. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

He can't tech roll though so you can get a Pounce attack too.

8. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    From the videos i've seen you can get 17-ish (fast kick damage) plus pounce (25 damage) for a total of 43-something damage on him (with the exception maybe of akira, it sems that his axe low combo is guaranteed for bit of extra damage) whereas i think shun can get just a bit more damage than that out of his lie down stance so i think it's not that extreme to say that the odds are slightly tilted to his favour damage wise.

...what really bugs me though is that it seems he has a throw from his lie down stance - does this mean he can throw you but you can't throw him, just like eileen from zenk?

9. supersonic

supersonic Member

Can someone explain for a complete noob how these rankings are determined?

I assume there is a new ranking for each new version? Do characters move around the list a lot or are there certain characters who stay near the top or bottom consistently?

10. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

eileen's zenk is much more unsafe than a lying on the floor shun. There are combos you can do to her while she's in the air that wouldn't be possible just because she's so damn high up there.

11. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    placement in tournaments, which is then translated into matchup ratios (5-5 being even, 6-4 being an advantage for one character, 7-3 being something i don't think is in vf5r). then just look at which characters have the most advantageous matchups and place them accordingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume there is a new ranking for each new version?</div></div>

yes, and there'll even be updated tier lists for the same version sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do characters move around the list a lot or are there certain characters who stay near the top or bottom consistently? </div></div>

it depends, really. this tier list quite different from vf5 ver. d, but the next vf5r tier list might not change much at all.

12. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Actually, the list is determined by three players and their collective experience, not by any numbers in tournaments (which would be skewed anyway, there will always be millions of Jackys around no matter his tier placings to win tournaments)

13. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    i thought arcadia only did representative tier lists?

(though i wouldn't doubt if you were right)

14. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

hmm that makes sense actually. maybe that's why the busted Kage down so far. The japanese love him so I can only imagine his tier placing won't affect his use.

15. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Comparing Arcadia's Tier List to the latest arcade success rate of finalist players to win tournaments (ie, the Winner's Column in the character tournament ranking charts I make, soon to be updated):

Arcadia
    S: Lion, Eileen, Jeffry
    A: Aoi, Goh, Shun
    B: Sarah, Akira, Lau, Blaze, Lei, Jacky
    C: Vanessa, Brad, Jean
    D: Wolf, Kage, Pai, Taka

"Winner's Success Rate"
    S: Shun (1. +1), Jeffry (2.5), Eileen (3)
    A: Jean (3.5, +2), Lion (5.5, -1), Vanessa (6.5, +2)
    B: Sarah (6.5), Lau (7.5), Akira (9.5), Aoi (9.5. -1), Kage (11, +2), Wolf (12.5, +2)
    C: Brad (12.5), Taka (14.5, +1), Pai (15.75, +1)
    D: Jacky (16, -2), Lei (16.75, -2), Goh (17, -3), Blaze (19, -2)

The first number in the parentheses, is the rank score you would see in the character tournament ranking charts I make. The second number, bold, is the difference in "tiers" position if comparing it to Arcadia's Tier List.

So for example, based on Arcadia's tier list, Goh is rank A. The success rate of Goh finalist players to win tournaments, however, is fairly poor, ranking 17. This is 3 "tiers" lower than would be expected from Arcadia's tier list.

16. BLACKLAC

BLACKLAC Well-Known Member

so ..."Winner's Success Rate" >>>>>>>>>Arcadia ?

17. quash

quash Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SuperVernier
    XBL:
    GUILTY GAIJIN
    was there a norcal gathering in japan that i wasn't aware of?

18. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Ummm, no. Just another way to compare the different characters. Each list have its advantages and disadvantages on how the list is made.

19. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    So eileen and jeff are definitely beasts huh? Lion's bokutai stance seems superior to Fei's and Pai's, but I'm still surprised they got stomped.

20. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

No, the people who play them are physical equivelent to supercomputers.