1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

5R Character Rankings: Arcadia 103 (Dec 08)

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Reno, Oct 29, 2008.

1. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

So comparing with it, I decided to make a Highest Potential list

"Highest potential rate"
    S (+2): Jean, Vanessa, Kage, Wolf
    A (+1): Shun, Taka, Pai
    B (_0): Jeffry, Eileen, Sarah, Lau, Akira, Brad
    C (-1): Lion, Aoi
    D (-2): Jacky, Lei, Blaze
    E (-3): Goh

[​IMG]

I sorted out the differnce in tiers in akai's list.

So for example, based on Arcadia's tier list, Goh is rank A. The success rate of Goh finalist players to win tournaments, however, is fairly poor, ranking 17. This is 3 "tiers" lower than would be expected from Arcadia's tier list, therefore having a lowest potential. Jean, however, is rank C on Arcadia, but is ranked 3.5 in tournaments, 2 tiers up than Arcadia, having highest potential.

It is also sorted out from left to right, akai's SABCD system repectively. So Wolf is 2 tiers up, but rank C on akai's. It has high potential but not expected to win. (His chance is average) Lion is one tier down, but rank A, so he has a lower potential than most but still more likely to win than most.

And so from forth, comparing with Mine and akai's here's my tier list.

S: Jean, Vanessa, Shun
    A: Kage, Wolf, Jeffry, Eileen

B: Taka, Pai, Sarah, Lau, Akira, Lion
    C: Brad, Aoi

D: Jacky, Lei, Blaze
    E: Goh

(7, 8, 4.)

With these groupings, Groups of characters are balanced, although some are more equal than others. While there still needs to be work, I've proven VF can be balanced if the bottom tiers gets a beefing.

2. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    I haven't been paying attention to this much. What has changed about Jeffry that's pushed him so far up?

3. Blackula

Blackula Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    I was just wondering akai. Brad and Wolf both have 12.5 pts. Why is Brad in C tier and Wolf in B tier?

4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

wait so where did you make your most potential list from, Don't really get your explination? I don't see how Jeffery and Eileen which were S tier in both lists are A in your list?

5. Sp00n

Sp00n Well-Known Member

It's simple: He looked at the tier list and compared it with the results characters had in tournaments. Tier - Result = Potential

6. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Just for the sake of comparison to Arcadia's character rankings.

Arcadia's way of organizing character ranks (I assume not an arbitrary ranking system, but the opinion of expert players on the overall strength of characters) put characters in 5 tiers/rankings:
    S (Top 3 characters, 1st-3rd),
    A (Next top 3 characters, 4th-6th) ,
    B (6 characters in the middle (7th-12th),
    C (Next 3 bottom characters, 13th-15th),
    D (Bottom 4 characters, 16th-19th).

There are only 3 characters ranked C in Arcadia's list. So for the sake of comparison, I just put only 3 characters in C rank, even though Brad and Wolf have the same score in my success rate charts (based on 2 calculations I do, put them at the same, arbitrary, score of 12.5 (Score can range from 1 to 19).

Since Brad was already predicted by Arcadia to be a C rank character, I put Brad in C rank, rather than Wolf. Thus, Wolf was arbitrary placed in B rank. Hope this make sense.

7. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Can somebody make a table comparing the arcadia ranking for VF5 and the arcadia rankings for VF5R? I suspect -

I went ahead and compared the tier list for version D given by Dennis with the tier list given here and it seems that 2 characters don't change places! Shun is still #6 and akira #8. Which would make me think that since they were not nerfed/beefed the developers of the game think they are balanced. Thus i think they should be used as reference for comparing other characters.

What do you think?

PS: It's also very interesting that the nerfs/beefs follow a pretty standrard distribution.

8. Blackula

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    But isn't Brad ranked higher than Wolf in the Arcadia rankings?

9. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Yes. Arcadia, put Brad as a C tier character and Wolf as a D tier character. For the sake of comparison, Brad and Wolf success in tournaments is tied, putting them somewhere between "B" and "C" tier. Whatever you look at it, Brad success in tournament falls similar to Arcadia's tier. Wolf success in tournaments is better than what Arcadia's tier would suggest.

Note: The comparison is very much arbitrary. If you really prefer to put Brad as B rank and Wolf as C rank, go ahead.
    ---

Erdaug: If you are so interested in it, go ahead and make the chart! :p

10. Blackula

PSN:
    Blackula1981
    XBL:
    BlackulaReturns
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

11. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Never mind

12. HotD

HotD Well-Known Member

Man I hope they take out DM P+K! FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT IS BROKEN ASS FUCK! YOU CAN WIN JUST BY DOING IT OVER AND OVA! WTF?!

13. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

dont play online then it works fine.

14. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

He's being a butt hurt twat.

15. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

I like the "potential" idea. Very creative thinking!

Cheers to you!