1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

A rose by any other name (was Re: POPY FT Movies)

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Llanfair, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

/disclaimer on

Please don't anyone take this the wrong way.

/disclaimer off

Is it just me, or is the (recent) change from referring to Akira's Double Palm as "Byakko" as irritating to others???

If I wanted to speak Japanese, I'd go to the frickin' japanese bbs. But, I don't, and I frequent an english VF board. So. Based on *history*, it's a "Double Palm". Want a shorter word? Write DbPm like we have for over 7 years. But drop the Byakko jargon - please.

If I'm on my own on this - fine. Just reached a boiling point on this today...sorry.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

edit: moved out of the parent thread in the media board

2. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    Re: POPY FT Movies

What's in a name eh? I don't know - everyone understands what it means so it seems practical enough to me. I think everyone got excited from hearing all the Japanese announcers yell BYAKKO!! and it caught on. /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif I don't see what there is to bitch about really.

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I think this is one of those discussions that don't really amount to much, and I use both terms interchangeably anyway, but...

...ever since KSII where Minami won, the memory of the announcer screaming BYAKKO!!! every 5 seconds is just too funny and unforgettable.

Also, byakko is one word and more convenient than double palm. And also, DbPm?? Hard to read, hard to write. I would rather dpalm and spalm...

4. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

BYAKKO

5. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

<sigh>

Say no more.

6. scolaire

scolaire Well-Known Member

I don't think you should be too concerned about it. Its really a matter of what majority wants to say or do, besides it is not even an issue to do with morality. XD

7. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I am generally in favor of using english terms/abbreviations in all cases...

8. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Yes, english. I vote for english.

kbcat

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Just moved the thread out of the media board.

Like some other people, I verbally use both "double palm" and "byakko" interchangibly, without even thinking of which one to use, and I have done so for a long time. This also carries over into my posts so I won't make any apologies for that /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And as someone else has mentioned, I think after Minami's KSII tournament win people might be using it with an air of romanticism (if you know what I mean?) I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to speak Japanese nor wanting to few less characters to type.

The main concern is that you get the message across, and I'm pretty sure every Akira player, hell even every VFer, in the context of this discussion knows what byakko refers to.

Llan, my friend, just chill /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif *hugs*

A double palm by any other name is just as sweet! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. MADrox

MADrox Well-Known Member

I like a lot of japanese terms,, but i think with vf, only if it was something new,,
    kind like if we started calling Yomi - 'the force'..
    i'd say byakko,, beats saying ' the two handed Aikaira move '

dope-stino

11. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

i dont like the terms
    SPOD or DLC either
    i think they should change as well /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

maybe its a canadian thing to acronym

12. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

or just double palm...does not take that much more air :L=)

13. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

i dont like the terms
    SPOD or DLC either
    i think they should change as well /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

maybe its a canadian thing to acronym

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a flame or an attack, I'm just curious. What would you/do call them? What do the Japanese call them? BTW, I don't like "AS3"/"Akira Special 3". However I love "F5" for Wolf's new throw -- everytime I do it I think "REFRESH" :p

kbcat

14. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Can't touch the SPoD

Blasphemy!

Worship the SPoD!

CORN!

15. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

While playing a game we consider for a more "mature" audience. I feel really silly calling moves "OF DOOM!"

STUN PALM OF DOOM
    TOE KICK OF DOOM

and how does DLC animation correlate anything with a DRAGON LANCE.

its not a shot at canada, but those acronyms did originate from there, and i find it funny that llanfair is the main guy backing up the acronyms

then again i say CORN!!

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:
    and how does DLC animation correlate anything with a DRAGON LANCE.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You are too mature for question marks, I see.

The actual translation is something like "Dragon Spear Ceremony." Once I read it to be "Festival of the Dragon Spear," which I think is awesome... imagine Yamagishi shouting "Oi! Festival of Dragon SPEAR!!!!!"

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

While playing a game we consider for a more "mature" audience. I feel really silly calling moves "OF DOOM!"

STUN PALM OF DOOM
    TOE KICK OF DOOM

[/ QUOTE ]

So, be mature (even though I think maturity releases me from worrying about saying Stun Palm of DOOM) and come up with an alternative instead of just complaining without offering a solution.

SPoD counterable is just an awesome thing to say. Guess it's harder to say "TKoD" as a word (tuh-Cod)?

To appease the high maturity of Phoenix Death I decree the following changes:

Stun Palm of Doom shall now be: Stunny Palmy Thingy
    Toe Kick of Doom shall now be: Toe Kick of Scandalous Despair!

17. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:
    Stun Palm of Doom shall now be: Stunny Palmy Thingy
    Toe Kick of Doom shall now be: Toe Kick of Scandalous Despair!

[/ QUOTE ]

I approve, assuming the exclamation point must be included every time.

18. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Who came up with the name AS3 anyway? Akira Special 3? How lame is that? It's supposed to be ABC (Axe Blade Combo).

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Fuck it, who came up with the name Virtua Fighter anyway?? Shouldn't it be Virtual Fighter?

Personally, I think J6 Assassin Fighters is much cooler...

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

[ QUOTE ]
    Dandy_J said:

Who came up with the name AS3 anyway? Akira Special 3? How lame is that? It's supposed to be ABC (Axe Blade Combo).

[/ QUOTE ]

In Japan, Akira's 3 hit special combos (spod, dlc, abc) are each known as Akira Special 1, 2 and 3 respectively.