1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

A rose by any other name (was Re: POPY FT Movies)

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Llanfair, Aug 25, 2004.

1. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

Re: POPY FT Movies

you were oh so close to stun palm of CORN!! /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

2. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

I agree, although it doesn't really bother me personally, I'd rather people called in double palm --- at least that way new people here might have some idea what we are talking about...

-Alex

3. Onny

Onny Well-Known Member

strange that Byakko is called Double Palm but that Yoho is just Yoho though, not "uppercut" or something.
    and if you assume that a lot of people on this site came from VF4, well the VF4 command mode calls it "byakko" so perhaps that's partly the reason.. ?

4. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Well the actual name is Byakkoshouda LOL So i can see why Llan should complain if people used that ;p

5. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add my $0.02 on this as the thread has gone further than I thought. I will preface this with the fact that I was really more frustrated with a long day's work and took out my frustration on the terminology. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif But anyway...

I guess it's important to take note of someone's perspective on terminology. For me, the term Double Palm, and it's correlating abbreviation of 'dbpm' have been in use for over 7 years. Back when the community was full of VF2 players on RGVA, this was the terminology that people used. So, for me, it's a consistency thing. It's also an intuitive term for English speaking VFers...Byakko means nothing to me - sure it may the Japanese term, but it means nothing in the English language. And please note that I'm not 'complaining', merely pointing out what I think.

As far as the other abbreviations go - SPoD, TKoD, DLC, etc. So few people use the TKoD term, to be honest. And I've never heard anyone say 'tee-cod'. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Really, people say 'tee-kay-oh-dee'. I won't even touch SPoD. It's a term that's been adopted by VFers worldwide and is a staple in VF jargon. Enough even that SOA named a VF4 Kumite character 'SPoD Boy'. Hats off to Lan Bui for coming up with that one. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have no issues with terminology, but I do prefer if the names we use are more intuitive rather than being developed from the japanese player fan-boy.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

6. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Canadians and acronyms

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

its not a shot at canada, but those acronyms did originate from there, and i find it funny that llanfair is the main guy backing up the acronyms

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, what's your problem with Canada/Canadians? It's asinine to generalize an entire population with "Canadians love acronyms".

For the record, no, we didn't come up with all of these acronyms. "Toe Kick 'o' Doom" is listed in the original VF1 FAQ but not the abbreviation -- I don't believe a Canadian was the first to abbreviate it to TKoD -- since there were few active Canadians on rgva during VF1. The SPoD was a natural extension of the already in use TKoD. Llan is backing the acronyms because he's been playing VF and apart of the community since VF1. These names and acronyms have been the accepted standard until VF4/EVO/FT. Is it any surprise that he, and I, prefer the names we "grew up" with?

kbcat

7. PhoenixDth

Re: Canadians and acronyms

You quoted the full context and you replied like you didnt read the whole thing. You seem to have a defensive mechanism against anything related to your country, cool down man /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

in the case of llanfair and intuitiveness/japanese fanboy - since spod and yohou originated both in vf2
    how did yohou stay yohou ?
    but toe kick of doom, which is a barely used move turns into its own phrase.

Also we use words like, machi, nitaku, inashi, yomi in the current vf community with no problem at all. I really feel that there is no such thing as "intuitiveness", but just the fighting game language that comes with every fighting game. After all we still call fireball, HADOKEN. WTF IS A HADOKEN *see below :O

Im sure enough people by now - thanks to minami - knows the word byakko correlates to dbl palm. Just as hadoken and fireball is interchangeable, I dont believe that there should be a forced set of terminology rules. I think its arrogant as north americans, to enforce it in a twisted view of "simplicity".

I remember trying to explain those moves to some of our local korean players when they first started, and i got a WTF look. Instead i had to resort to PKG, PK, P. Point is that there is nothing intuitive about saying SPOD. You tell that to any new player and im sure you'll get the WTF look. He'll probably go home trying to look it up in his game manual. (its not there)

In any case it might be nice to learn some of the original japanese context of moves, just so when we do watch a tournament with commentary - some guy screaming BYAKKO a hundred times makes it all that more exciting.

8. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

I've never said that I don't understand or use Japanese phrases (or as my friends that know me well, Punjabi phrases). I am merely stating my preference for the phrases that I grew up with in the VF community, like double palm, or yoho -- yes, yoho. I'm not trying to tell you what you should like or use -- I was just stating my preference for double palm over byakko.

This thread is not about forcing people to use certain terminology. That is a ridiculous notion since its entirely unenforceable. We're all just stating our preferences.

I just can't understand why you like to poke Canadians. Am I defensive? No, I'm irritated -- since you seem to have a dislike for my country.

By the way, how did "Japanese fanboy" come into all this? You seem to have trouble staying focused. You grab random things and inject them into your argument. This was never an "English only, no Japanese, Afrikaans, etc" debate. Llan just said that he not too fond of byakko, some agreed, some didn't.

kbcat

9. PhoenixDth

japanese fanboy came from llanfair - please read the posts above

and can you name other instances i "poked" at canada because i like to?

10. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

japanese fanboy came from llanfair - please read the posts above

and can you name other instances i "poked" at canada because i like to?

[/ QUOTE ]

fanboy -- my mistake.

poking Canada -- two posts is enough for me bub.

kbcat

11. PhoenixDth

show me 2

12. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant

Thread Lock Please
    This argument is getting beyond silly now
    /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

show me 2

[/ QUOTE ]

I give you:

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:
    i dont like the terms
    SPOD or DLC either
    i think they should change as well

maybe its a canadian thing to acronym

and PhoenixDth also said:
    tis not a shot at canada, but those acronyms did originate from there, and i find it funny that llanfair is the main guy backing up the acronyms

[/ QUOTE ]

I've said my piece -- we will, obiviously, never see eye to eye. Let's just leave it at that.

kbcat

14. PhoenixDth

you still dont get it

the 2nd one if anything is an extrapolation of the first
    the reasoning being that i find irony in the situation

the whole situation could of been some british guy calling cigarrettes, fags, and hes the only one advocating the term in this thread.

with your attitude, it seems like you have a pessimistic view on your own country and any non canadian who brings up the word is blasphemy.

15. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Don't nobody lock the thread just yet.

[ QUOTE ]
    The SPoD was a natural extension of the already in use TKoD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I'm a dumbass. I had always imagined that SPoD came first and TKoD after...acronymwise at least. Maybe cause SPoD rolls off the tongue and Tee-Kod is a tad awkward to say, though I do so constantly. However, in typing the above I see why TKoD is kinda catchy...TKO.

You guys can deny it if you want to.

Clever Canadians.

16. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

What a lot of people don't know and probably can't appreciate is that it's these Canadians that were the true pioneers when it came to documenting and publishing VF information and making it available on the web. Honestly, the hard work they did was inspiring and hugely appreciated by the small community back then.

When it came to naming moves, direct translations weren't really practical and using the direct Japanese name wasn't really either. Even the Japanese agree, and instead come up with their own abbreviations and terms because it's practical to do so (akira special 1, 2 and 3 for example). So what would you have done in their position?

Personally, I think they did a great job and without the foundation they built up, I doubt we'd be here today. Maybe the names we use sound a little corny, but so what? I've heard some Japanese refer to Pai's 270 throw as (loosely translated) the Chinese Actress throw, instead of it's real name. We're not alone in having fun with the nicknames we give to moves. Llan, I remember one hilarious conversation we had (in NYC? Boston?) regarding how silly the names got with the TFToD series /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Introducing new people to these (old) terms can be awkward, especially when the official English home port uses the Japanese names, so we just have to learn to live with both. We shouldn't expect every new player to go through VF History in the West 101, nor should expect people to drop or stop using terms that have stuck around for 10 years. Regardless of how corny you think they are! /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I don't think phoenix is having a go at Canada/Canadians directly, but I get the feeling kbact thinks that he's having a stab at terms that the Canadians* were forced to come up with in the movelists. Really though, I think he had more of an issue with Llan's insistence that people stick to the old terms which has nothing to do with Llan being Canadien.. tabernac.. I mean, Canadian. Kinda reminds you of the language police in Quebec, non? /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On a personal note, I know both of you guys and it's really silly to see you arguing over this because of a misunderstanding (on who's part it doesn't matter).

Now in the spirit of tolerance and understanding, someone please tell that pommy geezer Jide to stfu! /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Thread stays open!

* Back in "the day", I can't be sure who actually came up with what term. But I know many Canadians, Americans, Singaporeans and at least one Aussie /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif all had an input at some stage

17. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Myke said:
    On a personal note, I know both of you guys and it's really silly to see you arguing over this because of a misunderstanding (on who's part it doesn't matter).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said and I agree. It's impossible to judge tone on the internet -- misunderstandings happen from time to time.

For the record, I bullish on my country. I think it's one of the best places to live (and yes, I've lived in places other than Canada).

kbcat.

18. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

[ QUOTE ]
    kbcat said:

Well said and I agree. It's impossible to judge tone on the internet -- misunderstandings happen from time to time.

kbcat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Misunderstand this you... you... you!!!!

AFRIKAANS IS NOW THE WAY!!!

HAHAHAHAHAH@!!

How do you spell SPoD in AFRIKAANS?!

I am very tired and now imagining Alex and Llan meeting for the first time...

Alex: "uuurrgh Bluuuuuuuhhhhhhhh - I'm purposely incoherent"

Llanfair: "... (pause) embrace the 'of-doomness' "

Alex: "Maybe I'll use my corn cellphone to attempt communication...
    'urgh mmble pfff gurrrrg' "

Llanfair: "I will smite ye in TOURNAMENT STYLE!"

Alex: "My maturity is insurmountable! MMMMUUUURRGH gggguuuurururu. I will not speak such acronyms! BYAKKO BYAKKO YOOUHU"

Llanfair: "Do not utter such blasphemy!"

Yamagishi: "Chinese Actress Throw!"

SLEEP DEPRIVED POSTING POWER!!!!!

19. PhoenixDth

en afrikaans O God! Daar's 'n byl in my kop!

damn that corny celphone reception

wait a minute . . .

I WILL NOT TAKE THOSE WORDS FROM SOMEONE THAT USES AN INVERTED MOUSE SCHEME !!!11 /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

20. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

Your FPS issues are not related to your inability to accept the intuitive.

Seriously, in VF2, SPoD is a THROW. One throw-counterable move blocked by someone who could execute SPoD, and, well, you're DOOMED.

I think you said "there is no such thing as intuitiveness." Does that mean that nothing is intuitive? I suppose that means your car is equipped with a steering wheel that goes in your ass. It must also have an accelator pedal that you depress with your tongue and brakes you push with your right earlobe. I won't describe what your spleen has to do to operate the stereo controls. Your car must be mature (it's certainly nowhere near intuitive), but I bet it has a license plate that says TEEKOD just to spite you.

No wonder saying "spod" disturbs you.

What do you do when you want to play Doom3? Do you tell your immature friends that you want to play "that word which I am too mature to speak as long as it has the words 'stun palm of' in front of it in it's third release?"

P.S. You still haven't posted what you'd like the SPoD and TKoD to be called