1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

A rose by any other name (was Re: POPY FT Movies)

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Llanfair, Aug 25, 2004.

1. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

Re: Canadians and acronyms

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:
    P.S. You still haven't posted what you'd like the SPoD and TKoD to be called

[/ QUOTE ]

how about bullshit /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    because thats all i ever hear when people land it

person 1: "THATS BULLSHIT!!"
    person 2: "Why yes it is."

seriously tkod WAS called toe kick crucifix piledriver, or you can call it toe kick splash mountain. Which makes a lot more sense. I dont see anyone calling splash mountain --- OF DOOM!!

Since SPOD really means Hougeki Unshin Soukoshou
    and Hougeki translates into a variant of destruction
    I dont mind Hougeki combo. But again preference.

or we can always keep it
    SPOD

If you want to keep with tradition, I suggest you use the rest of the terms as well /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    http://www.hardcoregaming.com/vf3/vfjar1.htm

player 1: "hey everyone watch my meatplow combo!!"
    player 2: "not before i land my starfleet manuever !!!"

as far as intuitiveness goes.
    Law suggests a person a person who isnt responsible enough to drink liquor, gamble, or rent a car, has the complete right to vote for our new president. We still use that horrible english measurement system. And why do 7-11's have locks on their doors if they're open 24 hours a day.

We live in America, intuitive does not apply.

oh and a history of DOOM
    "John Carmack, who came up with the name 'Doom' after watching
    a movie (The color of money) where Tom Cruise shows up at a pool hall with a
    custom pool cue in a case. "What do you have in there?" someone asks.
    "Doom." Cruise replied. "

blame tom cruise

2. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Circuit Breakers

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

player 1: "hey everyone watch my meatplow combo!!"
    player 2: "not before i land my starfleet manuever !!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh! funny you should mention the "meat plow" because we still use "meat plow" and "circuit breaker" as well as some of the other old names, amongst the old players, in TO -- especially when we retro it. I must admit we don't use "starfleet" anymore. Such is evolution, only the strong survive.

Just an FYI, if you're talking to the old guard you can leave "combo" off of the end of the sentence -- "meat plow" is enough /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kbcat

3. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

PhoenixDth,
    you gotta realize these terms were used before you knew what vf was and were still sucking on your mom's nipples. So just let the old timers be, some of them shaped the "VF Community" as is, so please take a chill pill and stfu. If you want to call SpoD, SpoCorn, by all means go ahead... Otherwise stop being an idiot.

4. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Otherwise stop being an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

whos the one that let sikyo drive ?

5. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

ok you got me there. SiYKO drives like he plays: mash the steer wheel.

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Re: Circuit Breakers

aww...you phased out starfleet maneuver..we call it starfleet/star trek strike or the kirk hammer here...

7. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Otherwise stop being an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Owned!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

Whahaha ... you have too much time on your hands...

Damnit, I still haven't played Doom 3 =(

oh, and I didn't even know what Byakko was... YOUR CONFUSSING ME WITH YOU CRAZY JAPANNESE TERMANOLOGY AND I WILL NVER UNDRSTANND!!

Actually, I can relate to calling it bullshit... instead of SPOD, Yoho, etc., it should be Bullshit #1, Bullshit #2, Bullshit #3...

9. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

SPoD = "i evaded that shit"
    DLC = "fucking bullshit"
    AS3 = "i techrolled that shit"

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Shoulder Ram = "How can my elbow whiff that shit??"

11. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

if only you fuckers knew the actually meaning of SPoD, DLC and AS3 in japanese, you'd realize how fucking lame SPoD/DLC/AS3 sound. Then again you would need some asian culture to know wtf they are talking about. It's like morons experiencing the movie HERO through sub titles.

ice-9 this post isn't directed at you, so go mind your own business and continue fucking the donkey.

12. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Shang said:

if only you fuckers knew the actually meaning of SPoD, DLC and AS3 in japanese, you'd realize how fucking lame SPoD/DLC/AS3 sound. Then again you would need some asian culture to know wtf they are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care to be a part of, or immersed in, asain culture -- hence, I could careless about what they call the moves. I just want to play the game.

kbcat

13. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

You are in denial. The very fact that you have this much interests in Virtua Fighter shows that you are dissatisfied with qualities you are born into; it's a cry for acceptance of eastern culture. You only wish you could understand true meaning of: Confusion, Cross the Body, Twin Tiger Palm!!! But... you cannot, so you pose this pathetic gesture of defiance in order to uphold homoerotic names like Stun palm of Dick.

14. Onny

Onny Well-Known Member

i guess that's the translation for stun palm, so what are the others?
    *genuinely interested*

15. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

actually I think the translation for SPoD is like: "Explosive Crumple, Cloud body, Twin Tiger Palm". Of course it's much more elegant in the asian languages.

16. KTallguy

Damn it, I need to watch Hero with you then Shang. I actually understand what you mean, no one can really experience the real beauty of the movie without understanding chinese.

It's also like that with any language. Translations really don't do the original language justice in most cases. I'd think that with asian languages specifically, there is a lot more meaning and history behind the words that are so difficult to translate into english, and so many words and phrases that really just have no english equivalent. I've discovered this as I've studied Japanese, the subtitled translations really can never do the actual spoken phrases justice. Most of the time they simplify the hell out of the statement.

Even with my VERY limited knowledge of manderin, I noticed that the subtitles of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon were WAY WAY simplified statements of what they were actually saying. Even though I couldn't really get what they were actually sayinging anyway =)

17. Onny

Onny Well-Known Member

Twin Tiger Palm!! that is too good!

screw byakko, screw double palm, i'm using that! haha.

18. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Here something extra.. everyone know dlc translate to something about akira's back as a mountain. but in the japanese/chinese translation the mountain refers to "Hua Shan". Hua Shan is actually one of the top mountains in china near the city of Xi'an and and is very famous for its precipitous slopes. The last 3 words in japanese of the "DLC" translate to "Lean on Hua Shan". I guess it was meant to show Akira's back is so strong as is like the strength of Hua Shan.

Onny: Twin Tiger Palm refers to the palm in SPoD only I think, D,b,f+p has some completely different name.. I think

19. KTallguy

hehe... I love it

I can just see Alex now ...

"LEAN ON THIS BITCH!!" (DLC)

20. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

[/ QUOTE ]

As a wise man once said, Drive Well, or Drive Once.