1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

A short guide

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by GLC, Dec 28, 1999.

1. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow, good job heheh, though there are a lot of terms i haven't heard of, but it is a great idea, perhaps us-vf jargon can finally have a definite reference.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    What's the world coming to? GLC actually contributing instead of bitching! And here I was thinking this board couldn't get any weirder =P Seriously speaking, it's a job well done, and much needed. The only addition I can think of for now is that you include the m- notation for modified moves (those required from crouching).

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I always thought "modified moves" meant that they were moves that were originally from the crouched positions but modified with extended range from "crouch dashing" (like crouch dashing with Akira and then hitting f P to get a modified single Palm). I think this is what you meant, right Myke? BTW, things are looking A-OK :p

Good job on the faq GLC. Definitely was much needed imo as some of the VF1 and VF2 vets will come out with some abbreviations I have no idea mean... And now I do!!! Anyways, keep up the good work!

-Chanchai

ps. One thing I've learned from the internet... expect lots of irony and lots of surprises/images/icons/smile.gif... And often take things with a grain of salt (except most faqs of course, where maybe taking things with a grain of salt is only necessary in maybe 5% of it, depending on who wrote it, but I personally trust GLCs knowledge in VF).

5. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

I think I could write a jargon / shorthand guide (would take a week or so). Anyone thinks I should do it?

P.S. Chanchai, it's very nice you trust my VF knowledge :) hehe

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    That'll teach me for being up 'till 4am in the morning, downloading Shen Mue movies, and trying to read and post here =P The guide already has m- notation explained. Ignore my earlier post.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

7. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

am i mistaken or should the following:
    <blockquote><hr width=100%>
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TAP turn-towards(!) punch (VF2/3 back facing, P)
    TAS turn-towards(!) sweep (VF2/3 back facing, d+K)

<hr width=100%></blockquote>actually read as TTP and TTS?

// clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network

8. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

in regards to:

Mike Chuang wrote:
    <blockquote><hr>

Wow, good job heheh, though there are a lot of terms i haven't heard of, but it is a great idea, perhaps us-vf jargon can finally have a definite reference.

<hr></blockquote>sheesh. mike, you vf-ethnocentric politically incorrect us-wash. j/k! ^^. would it not be more accurate to say english-vf jargon? i don't even know if GLC has ever been to the states.

// clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network

9. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Are you mistaken? Well, yes and no. The two terms create some confusion.

TAP: turn-around punch FROM opponent (while facing him) - CORRECTED in the guide
    TAS: turn-around sweep TO opponent (while backfacing him)

TAP is not actually exclusive to Sarah, it's also used while talking about eg. Jerky's and Kage's moves... it was commonly used.

P.S. I've never been to the states... which doesn't mean I'm not capable of writing a jargon FAQ! :)