1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

About guard escape...

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Guest, Jan 16, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

In a previous post, I asked if it was possible to block low attacks with the guard escape. Somebody told me that it was not possible (dont remember who it was). Well yesterday, me and my vf partner played some vf and with did some tests:

I ask my partner (wolf player) to knock me down and block my high rising kick and then execute a low-kick. Then, we did the same thing but instead of a low-kick he did a P+G throw. With the same motion, I escaped the the P+G throw AND blocked the low kick. Here's what I did: P+G, release P button, and pull the joystick down as fast as possible. Then we repeated this 3 times (yeah, we could have done this at least 10 times but we were playing on an arcade...) with random low-kicks/P+G and I succeded all 3 times.

What do you guys think ??? I am just a lucky guy or blocking a low attack with guard escape does work ? Bye.

Again, excuse my poor english.

2. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

Interesting! Maybe it is possible. If I had a partner, I would like to try it too. Good for you that you have a partner to try. With a partner, you can verify a lot of things that you can't with an AI.
    Why don't you guys try it on DC? It is free so you can try as many times as you want. Unless you don't have one....
    By the way, the arcade you played, was it a TB or VF3? Though I don't think guard-escape situation is changed between VF3 and TB.
    So jealous you have an arcade to play and -- especially-- have a partner. God I need one too! (of course the more the better)

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I was playing on a OB-VF3. BTW, we could play together you are willing to drive all the way to Montreal... hehe =)

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Actually, I do think it might be a possibility. Every time I try to G-cancel my escape throw with d/f, d, or d/b (but especially d/f) my character would crouch if the opponent didn't throw me. I think it has something to do with the idea that I actually inputed d/f before the P+G(P) though it still remained in the buffer long enough for the cancel escape to still work with reasonable success.

I don't, however, have any technical information from GAMEST or from actual experimentation to back my claims up. I think it's a good possibility though.

ice-9 | Sennin

5. Guest

Guest Guest

won't that make you vulnerable to mid attacks, then? i think with most characters you'd be going from bad to worse in that situation.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the bad part. /images/icons/frown.gif

ice-9 | Sennin

7. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

For guard throw-escape to work, throw-escape has to be buffered in. And as soon the executor recovers(say...blocked high-rising attack). he is free to do anything.

Holding a guard button means that you get to guard as soon as you're allowed to.

In this regard, being able to block low-sweep is not strange at all. adamYUKI was incorrect in regard to this one. At any rate, getting hit by the mid attack usually hurts more than the low attack, as Rich stated.

In fact, some Shun players do TE > d,d(sit-down) in a throw guaranteed situation. This way, Shun can escape one of the throws (forget about double TE-guard), plus most of the float combos would not work (e.g. Short-shoulder > knee with Wolf). It's not THAT usually but one way to keep the expected damage lower. Besides sitting-down is a good option against those trying to beat the PURE guard throw-escape (with K-cancel, crouch dash, etc.)

8. Vicks Biru

Vicks Biru Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Last Bronx? Yes, that crappy weapon Neo-Tokyo game. By the way, that Yusaku character has the exact same voice and taunt as Siegfried in SC. Anyway, when executing a move on LB, and pressing G any time during the move, the move stops being done. So we could have Lau do a crescent, guard it immediately after impact and follow up with some combo. This does not apply to kickflips.

<hr>
    <font color=orange>Better run home to Mama now! Ohohohohoho...</font color=orange>
    <hr>