1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira: Ask a Question, Get an Answer

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Feck, Oct 7, 2012.

1. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    And the number of opportunities to deal damage catches up, against some characters/gameplay I'd rather have three opportunities to deal a 30 ish than just one that gives me a 100.

2. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

With all this in mind, would you say a character like goh would be comparable to akira in tools available I.e. punishers, throws, ringout game etc.?

3. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Personnaly I think Goh and Akira are quite similar, and I've played both char quite a lot.
    Both are pretty linear characters with almost no strings, they require good yomi to be good.
    Most of the time their moves are designed to do one thing and only one but really well.
    A good example of opposite char would be Lion.

Akira is better at beating yutori, he is the best char in the game for that purpose which is a huge plus.
    Goh is better for beating evades and has even better CH tools than Akira.
    I feel Goh also has a better zoning game than Akira. With K, 46P+K, 4P+K and 46P longer range while Akira is better at close range.
    For throws they are about the same for standing throws (60/70) throws for both with a slight advantage for Akira as he can go over 70 against some chars and can use his throw for ringouts. Goh has low throws, Akira doesn't, but low throws play smaller role so I would say it's about even (and above average for both).

Both char have to use evade specific tactics like delayed moves at close range in order to beat evades dash cancel cause their semi circular game is rather slow.

Goh has a better ring out game imo, his combos carry better than Akira overall.
    Akira's wall game is better cause he gets good damage + good oki aftr most of his wall combos, I think goh gets a bit less damage with shoulder and his options after are a bit less powerful. Well it's pretty close.

Punish is about the same, they both have PK, 46P for standing with about the same damage. And for low punish they are about even too (no 16 frames big punish).

On Defense Goh is better with good sabakies. I think he has the best damage in the game for his low punch sabaki for ex.

Last but not least Akira requires good execution and is one of the hardest char to remember best combos/damage against all cast while goh can goh with simplier to execute combos without much variation without sacrifiying that much damage.

Overall my feeling is that with Akira you will have to work harder to fight against evade happy opponents. As an example, on wakeup unless you can meaty you have no tools beside throws to beat evade clean while Goh can use K+G or 66P+G.

With Goh you will have work harder/take more risks to beat the opponent guard cause you don't have guard break to protect you from reverse nitaku.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  4. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    Pretty much it, about carrying to wall or edge I think youhou can do the job but is much more risky than goh's tools (3K yeah ^^, or 4P+K)
    Akira's got a hard time to deal with evades but that's because of his guard breaks tools, he is too scary from +6 to higher so all is balanced ^^ ( ST game )

5. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

DAMN chitibox. You are my hero, thanks for such an eloquent answer to such a vague question. this will help me pick a main character. I see you too nowhere! Thanks all

6. BlackGeneral

BlackGeneral The Emperor of Elbows Bronze Supporter Content Manager Akira

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Hey there, AK Army! Just want to drop some info I've come across, because I haven't been doing my job as CM :(

AK Tech: All characters in this game have a [3] [K] equivalent. Landing a 3K on a crouching, side-turned opponent, yields them +11 on hit.
    This means, moves such as [3][P], and [6][6][P] are guaranteed, and most importantly [6][6][K][K] is guaranteed, and it's what you should be aiming for as an Akira player.

Happy Guard Breaking!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    mfwebdude likes this.
  7. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Moar tech!
    Sup AK Army! Just dropping more knowledge for those who may not know.
    [4][6][P]+[K]+[G] is a single handed, 19 fr half circular mid that covers Akira's stomach. This move is +5 on NH, +9 on CH and can lead to some advantageous situations, don't you think? Now, let's take it step higher.

[4][6][P]+[K]+[G] when you are on your opponent's side facing the background, yields Akira +12 and returns them to either open or closed stance, which guarantees him [P][K]. Nice, no? However, when Akira scores [4][6][P]+[K]+[G] from the opponent facing the screen, Akira is given +12, but this time, the opponent is left BACKTURNED.

Now there is debate upon exactly how many frames are yielded on backturned opponents (some say +5, some +6), but one thing is for sure, [3][K]+[G] [P]+[K] is guaranteed.

Having the situational awareness to use this move in this guaranteed situation is key to not only unlocking Akira's true potential, but unlocking your potential as a VF player.

Happy Guard Breaking!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  8. Chibitox

"Now there is debate upon exactly how many frames are yielded on backturned opponents (some say +5, some +6), but one thing is for sure, [3][P]+[K] [K]+[G] is guaranteed."

You meant 3K+G P+K I guess ? :)

9. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I suppose it's personal preference, but in this situation unless i can KO the opponent i'd always take the [6][6][P] for 20 dmg and sideturn and +7 than [6][6][K][K] 40 dmg and a pretty soft knockdown.

Especially given the strength of Akira's sideturned stuff. I'd rather be on the ground than have to guess being at -7 and Akira breathing down your neck from the side :eek:

10. mfwebdude

mfwebdude Well-Known Member

PSN:
    x_Reikan_x
    I could be wrong, but doesn't this kind of stuff depend on foot position rather than if the opponent is facing towards or away? I'll test when i get chance, I can't picture it in my head clearly.

11. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    LOL yes. Will edit when I get back home.

12. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    I doubt It, but I could be wrong as well. Will do some testing.

13. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    You raise a great point. This also makes 9K after 3K on crouching ST opponent more viable as It beats evades at +7 as well.

14. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Yeah, 9K to beat evade, 2P+K+G to beat guarding and loads of stuff that will beat abare at +7 and is fuzzy safe from the side. Horrible place to be for the opponent.

15. Chibitox

46P+K, anti sabaki, semi circular, and +1 on block is also nice in this situation. There are moves with better return but the +1 is tricky.

MarlyJay and BlackGeneral like this.
  16. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dreamiestboat
    XBL:
    tehmarcerer
    Not an Akira-specific question but I wasn't sure where to post: after watching a bunch of the Pre-Beat Tribe footage from earlier this year, one thing I notice is that people only very rarely go for rising / wakeup attacks. Is there any specific reason for that? Fear of being crushed, bad disadvantage on block? Don't really know my way around the game yet.

17. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

If the opponent blocks them on reaction it's -6. Depending on the character and knockdown they can also be evadable and then launch punished.
    They don't often get you much but they can put you in a bad situation or even cost you half your lifebar.
    If your opponent can't handle them then by all means go for them.

18. kiko17

kiko17 Member

mouko kouhazan kakuda chouchum.
    I am not sure if this is in vf5 fs but it is in vf4 evo. I am having trouble I can get the first half of it out but not the second half. The command is d,f,p,p. I no matter how fast I hit that second p the elbow doesn't come out.

19. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    You don't press it fast. You press the 2nd P as the first move connects. You'll only get the 2nd attack if you time it right. You can go into command training find the move and watch an example of how it's done. It's all about the timing.

20. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Several of Akira's strings/combos are about pressing buttons at specific times. Its not a question of being fast, but being accurate. As Marly said, you are supposed to press when the previous move connects. Once you get into the rhythm, it becomes easier.