1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira buffering

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Myke, Dec 20, 1999.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Argh, I feel like bashing my head against a brick wall :)

Is ST, SJK, PG, PG, m-DbPm possible on Pai, level ground? I can do it no problem with just one PG, but if I try for two PGs, the m-DbPm just doesn't want to hit. Actually, I'm quite sure it's possible because I landed ST, SJK, PG, PG, m-SgPm against Pai under the same conditions.

Well anyways, some time ago, UK Guy made mention of a weird buffering technique for Akira which allowed for instant DbPms. I've noticed that this also applies after a Stun Palm. The timing for it is so damn weird/hard that I can't get it out consistently, but I have managed to get it out "accidently" a lot of times, which is really frustrating. Under training mode the command basically amounts to P+K+G -> d, b, f+P.. as far as I can tell at least.

Has anyone been able to nail this one down? Also, I haven't been able to pull the stuff UK Guy mentioned requiring that magical buffering, the knee -> SJK, and ShRm -> SJK after the ST, which produced those sky high floats.

Argh.. where's that brick wall? :)

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

2. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Is ST, SJK, PG, PG, m-DbPm possible on Pai, level ground?

<hr></blockquote>

yep. very possible but your m-DbPm must be very very very fast. As far as that buffering double palm thing is concerned, Jo was talking about that almost a year ago when he was showing Kbcat and I stuff like SDE, PG, PG, m-DbPm, and/or Shoulder, PG,PG, m-DbPm. He was saying you could perform the DbPm with the old way of buffering (ie: db,db,b,f+P from VF2...) I've never been able to do it, I've tried with DB, b,f+P kinda holding DB for a a bit before hitting b,f+P and it sorta worked in terms of coming out pretty fast.

However, all of the PG,PG, m-DbPm combos can be done using a normal VF3 df,df,b,f+P modification, it just has to be really spot on.

I've always wondered if PG, PKG or PKG, PKG, would be faster? Any thoughts?

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

3. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

i haven't tested this out, but i thought it was: ST, SJK, PG, PKG, mDbPm.

also, i'm thinking this may work better due to the higher float on SJK:
    ST, knee, SJK, PG, PKG, mDbPm.
    - plus you get the extra hit.

// clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network

4. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    very possible but your m-DbPm must be very very very fast.

3 very's.. that's quite fast! :) So I guess there's pretty much no margin for error here.

As far as that buffering double palm thing is concerned, Jo was talking about that almost a year ago when he was showing Kbcat and I stuff like SDE, PG, PG, m-DbPm, and/or Shoulder, PG,PG, m-DbPm. He was saying you could perform the DbPm with the old way of buffering (ie: db,db,b,f+P from
    VF2...)

Does a db,DB register as a crouch dash (in place)? I guess I'll find out for myself tonight. If it is the case, then I think that technique would be better in that it saves you those valuable frames that are wasted in between the 2nd 'df' and the 'b'.

I've always wondered if PG, PKG or PKG, PKG, would be faster? Any thoughts?

This is what clopin suggested as well. My understanding is that the PG is faster than the PKG, so I avoided the PKG because every frame is precious and I didn't want to waste any. The only benefits to be had from the PKG over the PG are that of extra distance travelled, but you already knew that. In the case of the PG, PG, m-DbPm, I'm assuming that speed is more important than travelling distance.. but that's just my assumption for now. I could be wrong.

__
    m y k e

5. DeLune

DeLune Well-Known Member

The combo can be done on level ground. For the mod-Doubl Palm, What I did was d/f,d/f,d,d/b,b,f+P. The d/f,d/f,d,d/b,b is like a semi circle back and must be done quite fast.
    The combo will be SE, SJK,(hold forward after SJK) F+PG, F+PG, d/f,d/f,d,d/b,b,f+P.
    Hope it helps ;)

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

ENGLISH PLEASE!!

These postings of NJ, ts, 2s)3) blah blah blah look like a messed up version of state abbreviations and army code...could we please write in full terms what we are trying to do.
    -Shadowdean - the lingo impared vf'er

7. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Re: ENGLISH PLEASE!!

ST -- Stumble Throw. Akira's b,d+P+G
    SJK -- Single Jump Kick. Akira's ff+K
    DblPlm -- Double Palm. Akira's D,b,f+P
    mdDblPlm -- Modified Double Palm. Akira's (insert crouch dash method),b,f+P. Uses a crouch dash to satisfy the D portion of the double palm requisites, while also moving forward. Achieves crouch faster than just holding down thereby reducing execution time overall, increases dblplm damage by closer proximity. Same notation can be used for single palm (mdSnglPlm) or shoulder ram(mdShldRm). Not a true mod in the VF2 or VF1 sense, in that in VF2 by inputing the motions, you didn't even have to wait for the CD to come out, the modified moves just popped out without crouching (Akira could get sidekick MC, P(G), P(G), P(G), mdDblPlm, with no crouching at all). In VF3, the crouch actually has to register in action before the double, single or shoulder ram will come out

8. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Before my initial post, I was really beginning to doubt it could be done on level ground, so that's why I sought confirmation. When I found out that it could be done, I was determined to get it out, and sure enough I did. Only twice out of a million tries, but damn it was worth the effort :)

Now to work on the meat-plow :)

p.s. (for shadowdean)
    meat-plow = SDE -> mDbPm = Super Dashing Elbow -> modified-Double Palm = f,f,f+P -> df,DF,b,f+P

__
    m y k e

9. Llanfair

10. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Love that meatplow! woomf.. hah!!!! :)

BTW, I noticed a lot of your movies are shown as replays, i.e. they occur during the KO of the opponent. Apart from the extra floatage incurred and aesthetic value gained by watching it in slow-mo, is there a particular reason why you do it this way? :)

__
    m y k e

11. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    the trick to getting out the high float SJK after shoulder or knee is to enter it as if it were one command. this info came from the softbank official vf3 guide and it's really helpful. just enter the SJK as fast you can after the knee/shoulder and you'll get it (you'll notice the big difference in the float right away). I tried to use this technique during other curcumstances (that is, buffering a SJK right after a shoulder during normal fighting) but it didn't seem to work.

Also, another good command for modified double palm is d/b, d, d/b, b, f+p. basically a reverse dragon punch. it's a little smoother than d/f, d/f, but more difficult, and if you master doing it this way, you'll be able to get it out really quickly, it will look like it comes out from standing. lastly, if you use the d/f, d/f way, you also can go to down between the two d/f's if it's easier for you not to return to neutral (you only have to move the lever back until you get the forward switch off, then go to d/f again).

spotlite

12. Llanfair

Yeah - love the letter boxing effect of the replay. Lifebars, etc...they're for match movies, etc..combos are nicer in replay. ;)

cheers,

Llanfair

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>