1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira Oki

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Cozby, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Do you guys think it's legit to sacrifice maybe 7% of your damage to potentially get an additional 12%?

SDE > 2p > 43p > 2_6pp does 80 dmg.
    Akira cannot OTG, but he can get a down attack if the opponent doesn't tech.
    Akira can also go for these meaties:
    1. 46p+k
    2. 46p+k+g
    3. Spod (If the opponent is close I.e. near a wall)

If the meaty might be blocked, Akira can opt for guardbreak instead.

So, I would advise never to tech from this combo UNLESS the down attack will kill.

A new gimmick I've been messing with is SDE > 2P > 43P > P > 1P for 74 dmg.

Akira can safely go for 2_3P+K OTG for 90 dmg.

Akira gets the same meaty setups, but also gets 214p as a meaty option too.

I dunno. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Personnaly I tend to use the combo ending in 2K+GPP whenever possible cause I like the feeling of the just frame, and it does 82.
    After that FC6P!P is a meaty and besides spod and 214P it's one of the best options (better damage than the 2 semis + strong oki).
    It's pretty good since when you hit the combo, chances are you will carry the opponent near the wall where FC6P!P can make him hit the wall then you can combo with either shoulder, PK, or 43P->FC6P!P.
    Near walls you can also use P+K (sometimes with a 1FK depending on the char) to create wall staggers, this is especially good in cage stages where any combo will pretty much give this situation.
    If you pay attention to Homestay, he almost always chooses Vanessa's cage stage when he can. Maybe it's just an aesthetic matter but it may also be because akira is deadlier in those stages with that P+K meaty situations.
    Also after a FC6P!P you can dash, K (g cancel), P+K and P+K is a meaty. (Also deadly in cage stages.)

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    I do not think it is just aesthetic, I realized some time before that many top players tend to choose one specific (or one type) of arenas in trounaments - andy bcoincidence, that type fits their style/char well :)

4. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Ok so to clarify what I'm getting at, Akira options on a teching opponent are lame, but extremely potent. Teching from akiras max damage combos is always dangerous. However, Akira has very few ways to encourage an opponent to tech. I'll give him the free down attack more often than not.

In my example, from max damage combos with 43p bound, Akira can end with p, 1p. From there, Akira can safely otg with 2_3p+k for a lot of damage. The opponent cannot punish Akira for going for this otg.

BUT

It's character dependent, but it works close to walls, so realistically, an opportunity for this setup is very specific. I think ending with 1fk can work though.

5. BlackGeneral

BlackGeneral The Emperor of Elbows Bronze Supporter Content Manager Akira

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    How much damage does P to 1P do after the 43P bound? Never even thought of doing that combo.

And I do agree that Akira's OTG game is lacking, I can more than understand why he doesn't have one.

6. BlackGeneral

BlackGeneral The Emperor of Elbows Bronze Supporter Content Manager Akira

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Ahh, Nevermind. Just read the post. His max damaging combos without walls is 85 dmg. While that OTG setup does net hit a few extra points, I'm not sure if that's enough impetus to tech. Maybe in a short set, but in a long set, I doubt it.