1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira or Taka - Who is more broken!?

Discussion in 'General' started by Junsuina Chikara, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM
    Hi all. I've been using Akira since vanilla and I don't think I can use other characters efficiently since I've developed my style around 1-2 moves (as in not used to strings/combos). I have a few subs (Kage, Shun and Lau and a little Jean Kujo) so considering switching to using Kage as my main but still need to get my head around his stances and BT options.

Anyway, moving back on topic, who is viewed as the more broken character? Akira or Taka? For me personally, it's Taka. While Akira is near the heavyweight class, a lot of combos still work on him but Taka just eats soo much rice! So thus he is a very heavy man. I struggle to get beyond 60+ damage on him and I think many are the same. Only real launcher I can use against him is Youhou since it gives me the option to heavy bound with [2][1][4][P] after it but even then, distance has to be relatively close for the heavy bound to connect. Also, the amount of damage Taka can inflict is insane! The only thing Akira has over Taka is that Akira can heavy bound and then medium bound after it (e.g.: [2][1][4][P], [6_][P], [4][3][P]) but other than that, Taka just hits so much harder.

So what does everyone think? Akira or Taka?

2. BlackGeneral

BlackGeneral The Emperor of Elbows Bronze Supporter Content Manager Akira

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    I swear, you give VFDC TOO many chances to shit on Akira.

Tocuh, Tricky, BeastEG and 1 other person like this.
  3. soke

soke Well-Known Member

Lol.

Sozos and Tricky like this.
  4. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    Taka at the lower level, Akira at the higher. Remember, Taka is slow... but Akira has some very quick moves, plus a way better guard break, and better counters/reversals if he gets stuck. He also has the low hitting move he can combo from, which is a pretty big deal in a game where you're mostly anticipating mid or high launchers.

For me, the game goes something like this, after one year of play on both consoles (bear in mind, I'm largely using a lightweight, low stamina character who doesn't deal that much high damage in general).

Jacky > Akira > Jean > Goh > Brad > Vanessa > Lion > Blaze > Aoi

After that, everyone else seems to fight each other quite equally, but of course, chars like Jeffry, Shun or even Sarah in the right situation can take huge dmg, as well as Taka. Fighting the Sumo guy, I think you need to be on point more than ever with those 4 or 6 throw escapes, because both his options are looking at around 80 against much of the cast. I think his circulars are pretty limited though, and all sorts of strings become natural combos on him, so... not as scary as some may think once you get to grips with how he operates ;)

5. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    How is Taka Slow?

Chefboy_OB, Tricky and Rodnutz like this.
  6. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    He doesn't appear to be able to spring up off the ground with a really fast move like Akira can, for starters. Once Yuki-san gets into his stride, big, powerful moves are reigning down on you with very little recovery, which again, doesn't really apply to the Tak-man. Jackira still totally running this game, who can deny it? Far better players than me have stated the same, more or less. If Taka is "broken", how come hardly anyone uses him, on PS3 or Xbox? Yet Akira is everywhere. Weak AK players, yeah, I can handle them, but a well played one? It's just lights out fast. Yet all this time, the only Taka I couldn't take out was Shidosha, who I only got to play a few times anyhow.

I don't quite get the comparison between the two really. If we're going for broke, let's look at low hitting sideturn moves, or fast, high damage strings you can barely evade. Whittling down whiff disadvantage with sabakis, or running unblockable staggers barely anyone online can deal with.
    Oops, almost forgot counter hit body-check as well: why is that even still in the game? Just feeds right into the hands of people like 'Pepsolman' who sit there making the game look trash to the wider public, with their zany capture card japes.

7. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I think 'Broken' is far too strong a word for this. When I think Broken I think Akuma in SF2T or even Chun Li in 3S.

I would say that Akira is a higher tier than Taka, but I don't think he breaks the game.
    I might be wrong, but doesn't he have slower dash/crouch dash which means he can't fuzzy the same as other characters? I also think he has more hit-stun from side-turns and counter hits?

BlackGeneral likes this.
  8. Shinobi

Shinobi Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Spiros_1978
    There are no broken characters in VF (except Dural, of course), only characters we don't know how to deal with. If I have a problem with a certain character, it's not because that char is broken, but because the other player is skillful.

9. Flyingguillotine

Flyingguillotine Well-Known Member

Taka's crouch dash is one frame slower than every other character's. That's how Taka is slow.

Tricky likes this.
  10. leftylizard

leftylizard Well-Known Member

XBL:
    blue mouthwash
    I dont think Taka is broken. The payoff can be good when using him but there are plenty of risk a player must take. Takas 17 frame launcher33p+k is -17 on block. Also his 2p+kp is -20 on block I think. And we all know he has good throws,but strikes or abare will thwart that. I think Taka being good really depends on the user,unlike others like jacky or lion who are kinda buff in VF. They still require lots of skill butTaka has to work harder and he is a yomi character.

11. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

LOL, I like this thread :D

Tricky and Stl_Tim like this.
  12. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Indeed, but it isn't what Pai-Chan was talking about
    In terms of attack speed, outside of 4 exceptions with jab, no one is really faster or slower. The differences are + or - 1 frame at best. What is more important is the quality of moves and at what range they lie. Taka is actually pretty stacked in the lower frames;

14f: double handed mid
    15f: High NH combo starter
    16f: Hitcheckable mid combo starter (stupid move)

If makes no sense to refer to Taka as slow and Akira as fast while talking about their moves.

Back to the threads question, Akira is more broken than Taka, but they're both too strong in certain ways and both favoured by they system. Both chracters are still totally beatable.

13. Flyingguillotine

Flyingguillotine Well-Known Member

Dude, how do you know what Pai-Chun is talking about? Having a slower jab and crouch dash by even one frame would be a factor in a high level match between two equal players. And there are no exceptions. His Jab is slower, he's slower. Just because Pai-Chun didn't articulate it well doesn't mean he was wrong. And a huge number of Taka's moves leave him at -15 or more if blocked. Just doing a brief scan of his movelist, I've seen 26 moves that leave him at at least -10, as high as -20 (2P+K,P). So in that sense he is slower than Akira because his recovery times on block are slower.

I dont take this topic too seriously, as no character is broken in this game, unless you look at the hitboxes. Taka has a lot of launchers that reach far beyond his hands, making him more "broken" . But that's the elephant in the room nobody is allowed to talk about, apparently. Because FS is awesome and Sega is perfect and they never make mistakes. Tracking strings are awesome and totally logical and realistic. /Sarcasm (even though I'm laying it on a little thick).

If you look at the two characters Akira has more tools. If you want to call him overpowered, fine, I guess but he's not broken. Taka not being able to be juggled for long by most combos is just realism, look how fat he is. Therefore I can't really call Taka "broken". Except for those hit-boxes......

14. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    It's Ironic though as I think Taka vs Akira favours Taka...
    The sheer damage output overshadows Akira...

Anyway Akira players can't complain. I would love to see the stats of Akira's SDE hitting percentage.. The most reliable move in the game. Want to Backdash? Urggh Want to push a button? Urgghh... Want to delay a move Uggghh Want to do a move that specifically beats elbows... Ugghgh

Oh snap I'm near a wall GG's... I'm at the edge GG''s... Any Stage GG's...

I'm fully aware I play Goh by the way...

Feck and Junsuina Chikara like this.
  15. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

The thread should be renamed to, "fs, college project or legit production?"

16. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Er i know what he's talking about by taking the context of what he's written. If that isn't what he meant of course he's welcome to respond and clear it up.

Of course there are exceptions. Jabs are 12f. Eileen, Kage, Lion and Pai (and shun, depending on how you look at it). Taka's Jab is not slower than Akira's.

Taka being in true Nitaku a frame earlier is nice but considering he takes less damage from most things and has such strong counter Nitaku. Infact Taka takes less damage against some characters at -17 than light weights do at -15. Add the fact that he has a pretty large environmental advantage over pretty much everyone else in that he's really have to move/ring out and things end strongly in his favour.

He has moves that have long recovery on block, but who cares? Kage has a move that can leave him at -71. Is he now the slowest character in the game? Akira has Bodycheck which is -32. Taka doesn't have anything that takes quite that long to recover. Whether you're looking at total frames or recovery i don't really see how you can label the character slow. Most of his basic moves take the same amount of time as everyone else, and since speed equals distance over time and given his range...

And Akira is still a better character.

I'm personally of the opinion that every character has something about that breaks the game in a way. They're all broken to varying degrees, from Eileen going under mids all over the place all the way up to Akira who actively punishes correct defence and a bunch of other stuff.

Akira is more broken than Taka

17. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    I've only fought one Taka online and that was Modelah. Sure enough he kick the crap out of me.

Akira makes me nervous though...

18. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I had the same idea as you before, but once I realized what AK is capable of then I believe they are pretty 50/50 during the match. Probably AK has better options.

19. CheekyChi

CheekyChi Well-Known Member

XBL:
    CheekyChi

Just out of interest, what do you think Jean does that breaks the game?

20. MarlyJay

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Safe strings. Cancel-able strings. Fake advantage.