1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Akira`s knee

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by 40i4, Nov 25, 2000.

1. 40i4

40i4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    mrxliiv
    XBL:
    xliiv360
    i can`t do a knee of akira. who answer me. i ask how i do
    this?

2. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

yeahhh me too, oder do those Crazy Akira -players have Finger-transplantations from Aliens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brumm,brumm,were VFX...............were!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i haven't got any tips on how it's done, but you have to try to press g+k and then release guard very quickly (within 1 frame).

4. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    To do the knee, you have to press K+G and release G instantly so that it is only pressed for 1 frame, or 1/60th of a second. This doesn't mean that you have to hold K for any longer than 1 frame, just that G must be released.

The only real way to do this is to scrape the button with the tip of your "G" finger. Although I have gotten the knee on accident by tapping the buttons for d/f+K+G too quickly, it's really difficult to do consistently.

The best way for me is to make your hand rigid, with your G and K fingers extended, your P and E fingers lifted. quickly bring your hand down and lightly scrape the G button so your that your finger ends up off the button, your K finger holding it. The real reason I think most people actually end up holding K is that it's easier to just hold it and focus on what's happening with the G button, so that you can just make one smooth motion.

If you think this is hard, you had to do F,F then the command in VF1.

In short I hope this helps, but the real answer is: practice.

spotlite

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

THere's another factor in the equation:

"Are you using a pad or an arcade stick? Or are you referring to the arcade?"

Just to let you know, Akira's knee is extremely hard on a pad. However, just practice it like Spotlite says, it's really not that hard when you get used to it, but don't be too hard on yourself if you get it like 1/3 of the time and get a regular Kick the other 2/3 of the time. Practice, practice, practice. You don't have to put too much pressure on hitting Guard, I think a lot of times people slam on Guard, and that's understandable, but you don't need too much pressure to get your thumb off of it quickly... in fact, my experience is that people who slam on the Guard button end up havin their finger/thumb on Guard too long as a result. Just a side-note.

6. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

again an example of using thumb (rather than finger) to guard. does everyone else use thumb? am i the only vf-er who uses strictly his fingers? (hey, i could use this as an excuse for me not being able to get out DLC consistently ;))
    so, basically, my question is who uses 'thumb finger, finger, finger' and who (if anyone besides me) uses FFFF?

7. Chanchai

Well, believe it or not, I think Adam Yuki uses three fingers. Index, Middle, Ring. Occasionally pinky, but he really bounces between the buttons with those three fingers. There is hope!!! /images/icons/tongue.gif

8. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

does everyone else use thumb? am i the only vf-er who uses strictly his fingers?

I use this method, if it means something.

9. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

it was much, much easier in vf1. yes, you did have to tap f,f. and yes, you had to release G within one frame. however, this is VF1, where frameage is timed in 1/30ths. this means you've got twice as much time to let go of G as you do in VF2 and VF3.

the biggest pain in the ass from VF2 to VF3 for akira's wanting to do the knee was that in VF2, you could play it safe and tap d with the knee command. if you mucked it up, you got a low kick which was likely to be cancelled anyway. he can't do that in VF3. ha ha.

--
    "The world ends tomorrow AND YOU MIGHT DIE!!!"

10. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

really? i always input d on vf3 just in case i
    fuck it up. kinda like a weird option select. if
    i miss the knee, low kick would come out.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

11. Mr. Bungle

yes, but akira's low kick is crap..that was my point. he can't cancel it, it's throw counterable and it recovers high.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

12. Sudden_Death

that's true.

at least you could get an MC so you could throw
    after it (easier on vf3 ob). of course only in
    this situation.

corrections?

13. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

i don't think it's so much worse option select in vf3 than vf2, rich.

in vf3, i do one of three option selects: d+knee (low-kick if knee failed), d/f+knee (side-kick if knee failed), and the best, imo, which i use the most, knee,g (kg-cancel is knee failed).

btw, to clarify, is it true that in vf1 you had to be in throw range to do the knee?

// clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network

14. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Yes. Akira's knee in VF1 did have to be
    performed in throw range.

GE

15. Mr. Bungle

the low kick option select for akira's knee in vf2 can be cancelled, leaving akira in a brief state of almost total invulnerability (that's where fuzzy guard in vf2 was derived from, cancelling low kicks). if it's not cancelled, it's a little twitch of a kick that's difficult to counter. comparing that to what he's got going for him in vf3, i think his vf2 options were much better. i think not-fully-intended low kicks and sidekicks for akira in vf3 are much more dangerous to him.

--
    "Plop."

16. clopin

clopin Well-Known Member

true. i mean, in vf2.0, you could even do a iai as an option. but the point i was trying to make is that while low-kick is a poor "option select" in vf3, there exists a low-risk option in vf3 as well, which is the kg-cancel. of course, if you're any good, you wouldn't miss the knee anyway. /images/icons/tongue.gif

// clopin
    join #vfhome on the EFnet IRC network

17. Sudden_Death

hmm, a kick cancel trying to do a knee? i dont
    think this works unless you really messed up
    doing a knee. i think what you got was a simple
    guard animation.

18. Chanchai

I think that's what Clopin meant. That if you weren't confident in doing the knee, you could at least rely on the fact that if you just got a kick out (which a lot of people that miss the knee tend to get), you could cancel the resulting kick if you were prepared for it (though it's really tough for me to do). I think he was saying that he was just pointing out that in VF3, you had an option if you messed up the knee and that was the G-cancelled kick.