1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

akira tech

Discussion in 'Akira' started by 34, Mar 26, 2002.

1. 34

34 Well-Known Member

i tried so many times to make akira's "rising knee".
    and it's a hard.
    any one can explain how?

2. akira2001

akira2001 Well-Known Member

This is indeed hard to do. are you using the control pad or an arcade stick? if you are using the control pad-- good luck. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    if you are using and arcade stick-- tap them together just barely grazing the guard button.. at least thats what works for me. But, don no worry. I don't no anyone who can achieve this move all the time or even 90% of the time.

good luck

3. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"" 90% of the time."""

I do know a few ppl that can pull it off...some can do it with ultra consistency, some have a 70 to 80% success rate.
    Such a show off move /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway, just remember that u have to do it within 1 frame.
    So, DO IT REAL QUICK

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Akira's Knee

The best way to practice is to do it in training mode with command viewing on. This way you can watch your input and see what you're doing wrong. As you know, Akira's Knee is done by pressing K+G, and then holding K and releasing G very quickly. The amount of time G is held down for can only be 1 frame (although, I recall seeing 2 frames being allowed during DC training mode in VF3tb).

So, your command view should look something like this:
    <pre>
    command frames

<font color=orange> KG 1</font color=orange>
    K 18</pre>

Note, that the key is that the G can only appear for 1 frame, and once it is released, the K can be held for any amount of time since it doesn't matter.

5. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Now, I've never pulled this off because I just started usin Aki in 4. But is this usable as a floater to do some funky DLC dammage?

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

If u Mc an opponent..yah~
    anyone who knows VF will give u props for being able to use the knee wisely.

Being able to do it is nothing than than gravy.

7. Zakkmc

Zakkmc Member

I'm a VF newb myself. I got the PS2 version last week. I started with Jacky and I am now giving Akira a try. That knee lift is tough to hit (I have yet to do it). Does anyone know if the Strategy guide (Prima I think) helps answer questions like this one?

Thanks for your input.
    Chris

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

keep away from the strategy guides, they have no strategy and aren't much for guides either (not even the usual item lists and stuff). It's a waste of money.

Ask here and usually you can get help. Better yet, try the search button and stick in one or two words... like Akira and knee. You'll find something on how to do it.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

If using the controller i set the triangle button as a second block button, which allows me to use my thumb to perform the motion. I can still only do it very few times.

You just can to hit both buttons at the same time, but make sure to only clip the right edge of the triangle button and then immediatly swivel your thumb clockwise off the button. This motion has to be really fast, and make sure to keep the knuckle of your thumb on the kick button as you do it. Thats how im learning it at least. I tried using two fingers to tap both buttons and couldnt do the move at all. So this was at least a moderate improvement for me

10. Zakkmc

Zakkmc Member

Yeah, I reconfigured my pad to be the same way and I think out of the many many many times I have tried to perform this move, I have actually hit it 3 times, once in a fight, the other two in training.

Then again, there are about 4 of Akira's moves that I am having much difficulty with. I'm still doing the training though. I'll get them.

Zakk

11. morbidaza

morbidaza New Member

If you have a stick, heres how i do it...(i have about 70-80% accuracy...although i rarely use it since im not that good at VF, and don't really know WHEN to use it...pointers would be nice there /versus/images/icons/smile.gif)

Anyway, smack the K and G simultaneously, but when you hit them, hit them by rotating your wrist from above and to the right of the two buttons, then onto the two buttons. The trick to the G is to only hit the bottom left corner with the fleshy part of your thumb, and let it slide off very quickly. You only have to scrape it. Most of the time when I do it, i barely even notice myself hitting the G.

Good luck, tis a wee bit tricky.

12. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

It's actually not that hard to do Akira's knee with the pad after some practice (no more so, IMHO, than with a joystick). I first learned to do it years ago on a Saturn pad when playing VF2. The move had the same input back then. There is no need to reconfigure any buttons. You just need to use two fingers to hit the K (circle) and G (box) buttons simultaneously, with the G press being very light and quick. I sort of twist my wrist/hand to the right (clockwise) while striking the buttons, with my index finger barely touching the G button (it contacts the top, not the side, of the button) and "immediately" going back off it in an upward direction.

As mentioned, there are several Akira moves that are very difficult (at first anyway) to input. They are difficult on a joystick as well. It's just that the more experienced VF players tend to have learned the moves in an arcade and find a pad unuseable (or less than optimal) after getting their hands trained to joystick use. But this can be overcome.

13. Jalaad

Jalaad Member

BIG thanks to all you Akira players out there, first of all. The hints provided here have helped me pull off the knee with about 50% accuracy. With more practice I should be able to incorporate it into my game. My Akira is 10th Dan, and got there without using the knee, so it's not TOTALLY necessary, but it would make a good addition anyhow.

It's correct: this move is much easier to pull off with multiple fingers (such as on an arcade pad) than with just your thumb, although with my thumb I've performed it once (and ONLY once). Other Akira nasties are hard to do as well, without the aid of a joystick. His "Shura Ha'ou Koukazan(Tetsuzankou)", df+K+G, f+P, b,f,f+P, is well nigh impossible without a VERY responsive joystick. To this day I've never pulled it off with a control pad.

Let's hear some other Akira pet peeves. In my opinion, the man doesn't get as much publicity as he should. I respect someone who masters Akira MUCH more than some idiot who brags about pulling off Sarah's floater combo...

14. SirLagalott

SirLagalott Member

Re: Akira's Knee

I can get it K --- 109 G --- 1 they are almost simeltaneous, but it only like partially pops out the kick... blah

15. clash103

clash103 Member

I've only been able to do it once...God knows, I'd never be able to use this during an actual match! Major props to those who are able to do so...

16. Dav_UK

Dav_UK New Member

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has trouble pulling off some of his moves. I enjoy playing as Akira as it looks so cool when you pulling his palm stuns and body check type moves but this knee thing has always evaded me. It seems pointless putting in a move that is so hard to do, I'm all for training etc and you shouldn't be a master straight away but guard for 1 frame...

17. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

A good thing you can do to make it easier is to buffer it after some moves. Example:

Elbow [6][P], then buffer in a knee. You get the idea... Sometimes it is easier like this, but you still need to learn a straight knee if, and only if, you want to incorporate it in your play. It's not the best move, but a good Okizeme tool that would either float and give a combo chance or miss and put you back on feet where you can safely guard... Other uses involve MCing moves, but then again you have the LBF and the SDE for that matter too ...

18. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

I got the knee out total of 3 times but they were all by accident so that tells you how messed up hard it is. But it's really statisfying once you see that you did it for some reason. I use a PS2 pad without any button configuration at all & the reason for that is I got so use to the pad that I can't play with a stick anymore, pathetic me.